THE BROWNS BOARD

Just Curious - What Do You Want For Quinn?

ramBRO

I hate to be wishy-washy on any subject but anyone who watches the Browns and

Quinn can see both sides of this arguement.

Quinn is not a very accurate passer and does not have the biggest arm in the NFL.

He does not throw deep. His stats are bad. One side of the coin.

Flip the coin over. He is not exactly throwing to Jerry Rice and John Taylor out there

and he doesn't have much around him. Just take a look at the right side of the line.

Pretty scary!!! He has no tight end who can get down the middle. He has no running game.

He has an unimaginative OC in Dabol who is learning his job at the Browns' expense.

Is it the chicken or the egg? Is it Quinn or everything else?

I am of the opinion that it is a little bit of everything.

So what do the Browns do?? IMO I would let Quinn play of the year at the least. See if

he is making progress. I would definitely at this point NOT take a 4th rounder for him.

A first or second rounder I would consider but that is not coming any time soon.

Flip the coin over. He is not exactly throwing to Jerry Rice and John Taylor out there

and he doesn't have much around him. Just take a look at the right side of the line.

Pretty scary!!! He has no tight end who can get down the middle. He has no running game.

He has an unimaginative OC in Dabol who is learning his job at the Browns' expense.

I agree on this. Do you know how many Sundays I watch a QB take a chance and throw the ball in the receivers general direction, while they are covered, and low and behold... They make the play! Drew Brees is famous for this. I used to get mad at B. Edwards even before he started dropping tons of balls for this very reason.

Sometimes, a QB needs to have confidence in that his receiver is going to go get it even if it isn't "dead on" accurate. I see a little of this out of the new TE Moore. As sad as it sounds we need more Moore's :)

You might ask would such a scheme fit nicely into the Cleveland Browns? Have any midwest teams been successful running that offense?

And I will give you the answer: Yes. That team is none other than: The Cleveland Browns.

The West Coast offense is essentially a modification of the offense Paul Brown ran here with Otto Graham at QB. Bill Walsh was an offensive assistant coach with the Bengals under PB. PB had some success with the same offense when he had Greg Cook playing for him early in the Bengals existance. Walsh was somewhat arrogant in claiming that he "invented" the WCO. He did no such thing....unless modifying and tinkering with an offense that your mentor has taught you constitutes "invention".

I agree - too much cred given to Walsh - even Jerry Burns OC for the Vikings under Bud Grant used the same version {of the so called WCO} which was using the running backs in the passing game. Chuck Foreman thrived on the passing game as he collected more yardage after the catch, whether a screen or as a "check down" reciever. Fran Tarkenton in the day held some passing records largely because of the open offense.

But even more innovative coaching from Paul Brown includes the vaunted "Tampa 2" defense, which was ran by Cleveland inn the late 60s by HC Blanton Collier/ DC Nick Skorich. So I guess, we still can point to our historic past and see it alive today!!

He hasn;t even started the full 16 games yet and he's already won two... in persepctive Peyton Manning went 1-15 his first year... so no trade and give him time to take his chops...

In perspective, Derek Anderson took a team that hasn't won 6 games in a season in nearly a decade without him to 10-5 in his first full year.... and LOTS of posters here wanted to trade him. I think all the QBs on the team are fair game for being traded at this point.

In perspective, Derek Anderson took a team that hasn't won 6 games in a season in nearly a decade without him to 10-5 in his first year.... and LOTS of posters here wanted to trade him. I think all the QBs on the team are fair game for being traded at this point.

Drunky!!!! Where you been man? The DA stuff dropped dead and no Lumfreddy around. This sucks, we need you guys to remind us about DA being a badass. He really is pretty accurate you know, it's just the wind and dropped balls that get him. Like Flugs says, Hurricane Ike was a bitch.

The trouble with DA is he choked towards the end of 2007 and said something to the tune of "At least I didn;t throw five interception" when he threw four that cost the team a chance to beat the Bengals a second time and to get to the playoffs and was an embarrassment at the Pro Bowl when he got there... Then the next season he didn't do much of anything. I agree he is a badass but I cannot trust him when the game is on the line... he somehow have to throw at least one interception a game... BQ got a good streak going on now with how many passes he threw without an interception and right now, I am liking that... I do feel for DA and hope he could get into a better system where he would shine unless he plays the Browns... Otherwise, he was awesome in 2007...

For what it's worth, Anderson was VERY good in 2007. It's about what has happened since, however, that strongly suggests that he is not a guy you want to pin any hopes on. And at his salary, you don't want him as a backup.

His last nineteen games: 246 completions, 539 attempts (45.6%), 2736 yards, 14 TDs, 22 INTs, 52.9 rating

For comparison, Quinn's career: 13 games, 174 completions, 336 attempts, 1836 yards, 10 TDs, 7 INTs

Archived