Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

ABBA

Genesis

The Hollies

The Stooges

Jimmy Cliff

Issues/Questions:

A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

Groups NOT inducted:

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

Jethro Tull

Journey

Joe Cocker

Alice Cooper

Deep Purple

Dire Straits

Donovan

The Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

Grand Funk Railroad

Hall and Oates

Heart

Janet Jackson

King Crimson

The Monkees

The Moody Blues

Ted Nugent

Rush

Tina Turner (though she is in as part of Ike and Tina)

Yes

Roxy Music

Todd Rundgren

various metal groups like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest

Kool and the Gang

and feel free to name anyone I left out.

Groups NOT inducted:

Perhaps the biggest surprise is that the Red Hot Chili Peppers weren't inducted. I suspect they will be soon. Also overlooked:

Jethro Tull

Journey

Joe Cocker

Alice Cooper

Deep Purple

Dire Straits

Donovan

The Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Grand Funk Railroad

Hall and Oates

Heart

Janet Jackson

King Crimson

The Monkees

The Moody Blues

Ted Nugent

Rush

Yes

Roxy Music

Todd Rundgren

Kool and the Gang

Phish needs to be inducted. they've been a band for 26 years and sell out 35K seat venues regularly without the aid of a hit-single or album.

Phish needs to be inducted. they've been a band for 26 years and sell out 35K seat venues regularly without the aid of a hit-single or album.

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head. If a band is not going to be a hitmaker, then their albums must make a lot of noise salewise. Pink Floyd was not (originally) a singles hitmaking act, but their albums certainly were big, big time.

If Phish neither sold singles or albums then they certainly going to be relegated to the periphery despite being a solid live act.

Note that no "rap" acts were inducted this year either.

Also note the finalists who were NOT selected:

The Chantels

KISS

LL Cool J

Darlene Love

Laura Nyro

Donna Summer

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Several so called "authoritative" commentators said that the two sure acts to be inducted of all the finalists were RHCP and LL Cool J. I guess they were all wrong.

To me, I would have suggested the KISS and ABBA have a wrestling cage match to see who was to be inducted. How do you think that would have turned out? (and hey, both acts spell their name with all caps, so it would have been fair, right?)

If Phish neither sold singles or albums then they certainly going to be relegated to the periphery despite being a solid live act.

Note that no "rap" acts were inducted this year either.

they have 1 platinum album and i believe 4 gold albums, but that is nothing sales-wise compared to the bands on the list that you included. would the grateful dead have been inducted if they never released "touch of grey"?

as far as reggae acts, there are a few that would be worthy of the RRHoF honor (burning spear, black uhuru, toots and the maytals), but will never be inducted because of the shadow cast by bob.

i listen to too much hippy shit, lol.

they have 1 platinum album and i believe 4 gold albums, but that is nothing sales-wise compared to the bands on the list that you included. would the grateful dead have been inducted if they never released "touch of grey"?

as far as reggae acts, there are a few that would be worthy of the RRHoF honor (burning spear, black uhuru, toots and the maytals), but will never be inducted because of the shadow cast by bob.

i listen to too much hippy shit, lol.

Well, it just seems to me that the KISS army has drowned out the Phish army. Or at least the KISS army wears wilder uniforms!

To me personally, the biggest oversights are probably RHCP, Alice Cooper, and maybe Todd Rundgren.

And now that ABBA is in, the biggest selling artists of all time (per Wiki) that are not in are AC/DC (or are they in?), Celine Dion, Julio Iglesias and Nana Mouskari who is some Greek/French chick I know nothing about.

Again, I go back to my question: if they are going to let ABBA in to appease the Euros, do they not have to seriously consider Dion (to appease the French Canadians), Iglesias (to appease Hispanics), and this other chick to appease the French/Greeks? (but then, would that make it the International Music HOF, and not the RRHOF?)

OK, here is something I have been working on re this category, because it came up with the selection of the Swedish ABBA into the RRHOF, and that is: What country of origin makes up the inductees into the RRHOF. Here is the answer:

Sweden: 1, ABBA

Mexico: 1, Santana (born and raised, later moved to US)

Australia: 1, AC/DC

Ireland: 2, U2, Van Morrison

Jamaica: 3, Bob Marley, Chris Blackwell, Jimmy Cliff

Canada: 4, The Band, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen

England/Australia mix: 1, The BeeGees

Canada/US mix: 1, Buffalo Springfield

England/US mix: 4, Fleetwood Mac, The Police, Crosby Stills and Nash, the Pretenders

Denmark/US mix: 1, Metallica

The UK: 28 acts (in order of induction):

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Who

The Kinks

The Yardbirds

Cream

The Animals

Rod Stewart

John Lennon

Elton John

Led Zeppelin

David Bowie

George Martin

Paul McCartney

Dusty Springfield

Eric Clapton

Queen (though Freddie Mercury was born in Egypt)

The Clash

Elvis Costello

Traffic

George Harrison

The Sex Pistols

Black Sabbath

Dave Clark 5

Jeff Beck

The Hollies

Genesis

And there are 201 acts/sidemen/contributors who originate from the USA in the RRHOF. I am not going to list them all, though I will note simply that the Van Halen brothers were born in The Netherlands before coming here as young children, and that Leonard Chess was born in Poland before coming here, that both Ahmet Ertegun and Neshui Ertegun were born in Turkey and that Bill Graham was born in Germany as Wolfgang Gratoncla

Ah, here is the rub. Two bands that I probably wouldn't give the time of day to, and you want them into the RRHOF. Everyone has their favorite genre that perhaps they feel is overlooked.

Well, metal/hard rock is a pretty big genre and these two are a couple of the main originators besides Sabbath. They will definitely be in eventually.

Also, they have the numbers to back it up as far as record sales, huge tours etc.

I prefer to call it the Eclectic Conglomerate of Cultural Music Hall of Fame. Some of this stuff is not even close to rock and roll.

Maybe this isn't the right forum for this topic, but here goes anyway:

Here is this year's class of Inductees into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame:

ABBA

Genesis

The Hollies

The Stooges

Jimmy Cliff

Issues/Questions:

A. If a pop superstar group like ABBA is to be inducted, why not a pop superstar like Neil Diamond and Barbara Streisand?

B. Genesis is like the first progressive rock band to make it. An overlooked genre.

C. The Hollies were in with the British Invasion.

D. Jimmy Cliff was a reggae pioneer. Except for he and Bob Marley, what other reggae acts are in or are considered?

E. The Stooges were a pioneer of the punk genre.

Groups NOT inducted:

Jethro Tull

Journey

Joe Cocker

Alice Cooper

Deep Purple

Dire Straits

Donovan

The Doobie Brothers

Electric Light Orchestra

Grand Funk Railroad

Hall and Oates

Heart

Janet Jackson

King Crimson

The Monkees

The Moody Blues

Ted Nugent

Rush

Yes

Roxy Music

Todd Rundgren

Kool and the Gang

Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

Until Free or Bad Company is inducted, getting Paul Rodgers in....the voice of RR is going to be excluded.

Paul Rodgers is the best rock singer ever.

Peens good seeing ya again my man. Thanks for the shine!!!!

The guys who do want them to get in, like it in the 2 hole. Congrats on liking ABBA.

p.s. I've been to Stockholm and ABBA sucks balls.

ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!!!!

abba.jpg

Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

While ABBA is clearly at the opposite end of the Rock spectrum from say, Nine Inch Nails, their music was widely popular and I don't have any beef with their inclusion even though I never bought any of their records and "Dancing Queen" is about the only song I can remember by title.

Remember, rock covers a wide range. If you are stuck on the opposite end of that range, I do understand why one would question the inclusion.

I am sure people who dig the Carpenters don't have much use for Meticallica. It doesn't make them correct either.

Funny...don't you remember ABBA's Fernando? Weird Al Yankovic could do an "Albert Belle" version.....I was running down to 2nd base, I smashed your face, Fernando (Vina).....

Also, I have both The Carpenters & Metallica on my MP3 player, FYI. You are profiling me, lol.

I take on the RRHOF is simply it is waaaaay too subjective, and cannot possibly please anybody. I have never visited the place, because my favorite, Black Sabbath, was snubbed for far too long. If it was up to me, the first class of inductees would have been the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Who, Elvis, CSNY, & Pink Floyd. I never attended any party or event where people say "can you put on some Joni Mitchell or Billy Joel?"

We all have different tastes in music, so having a RRHOF doesn't make sense.

I just read a book "the history of R and R by Robert Palmer, the NYT rock critic (dunno if it's the old pop singer) and wasn't very taken by it.

It was well written enough but bored me.

The entire hook was tracing the "rock n roll" back through the African to Negro spiritual though blues through soul.

Spnt most of the time on Howlin' Wolf and James Brown Stax Motown etc.

Though I realize that was one of the roots of R and R it doesn't interest me a lot.

Even though the Beatles and Stones recorrded some R and B standards I'm way more in touch with where they went from there.

Procol Harum was king of blues based BUT it was the classical influence I liked.

So to a purist only hard bop is jazz.

Matter of fact there are factions that say if you play 5 notes the same twice in a tune it isn't jazz anymore.

Same with rock and roll.

Just different flavors.

I'm as big a music snob as anybody BUT when I step back I have to admit that if someone is listening to {insert some band you hate} and is moved by that music then it is just as valid as anything {insert band you love} ever recorded.

WSS

Rock encompasses a wide range of music.

The Bee Gees as an example wouldn't be what I call a rock band, but they are in and I don't think many would argue with their inclusion even if they didn't like the Bee Gees.

I am a huge Carol King and Metallica fan. The Bee Gees wrote some pretty kick ass music. But in NO way should Carol King or Bee Gee's or f*cking Madonna (don't get me started on this chick) be in the Rock N' Roll Hall of fame. That is the first failure of the Rock Hall, they never defined Rock n' Roll. And as I can see they will eventually run out of ROCK bands to put in, well, rock bands that have a record company backing and marketing. The Hall inevitably defined success incorrectly. Abba sold a boat load of albums and that is the Rock Hall's definition of success. Not the fact that they ROCK. For that matter they should of created a Pop Hall of Fame in San Francisco.

I'm as big a music snob as anybody BUT when I step back I have to admit that if someone is listening to {insert some band you hate} and is moved by that music then it is just as valid as anything {insert band you love} ever recorded.

I agree Steve but it's not Rock in my opinion. I think why many people are upset on letting Abba, Madonna and RUN DMC (f*ck that, that is 100% wrong) in the Hall because for the first 15 years or so, they inductees were based on soul or rock. They defined rock and the Hall by the bands they inducted in the first 20 years or so. THEY DID IT. Then they start running out of bands who sold 50 million records and need to save face. It's phony. Just wait, in 10 years you will see Back Street Boys and Celine Dion get in, just watch. Which are NO different then bullshit Madonna puts out. All sold 30 million of one album. They got money and need more publicity, put them into the Rock Hall. You think Abba just sold another million records, upon getting inducted, YES! What a sham.

I think of anyone Steve you would respect this view point.

I agree Steve but it's not Rock in my opinion. I think why many people are upset on letting Abba, Madonna and RUN DMC (f*ck that, that is 100% wrong) in the Hall because for the first 15 years or so, they inductees were based on soul or rock. They defined rock and the Hall by the bands they inducted in the first 20 years or so. THEY DID IT. Then they start running out of bands who sold 50 million records and need to save face. It's phony. Just wait, in 10 years you will see Back Street Boys and Celine Dion get in, just watch. Which are NO different then bullshit Madonna puts out. All sold 30 million of one album. They got money and need more publicity, put them into the Rock Hall. You think Abba just sold another million records, upon getting inducted, YES! What a sham.

I think of anyone Steve you would respect this view point.

What is Rock and Roll then?

Only Bill Haley?

Only Chuck Berry?

Annette Funicello?

Bobby Sherman?

I don't think you can define most bands out.

I'd say it's basically music young people like.

There may be an element of rebellion.

But rebellion against the foilkies led to beach pop that led to the hippies led to disco led to grunge.

List me five you consider seminal Rock and Roll.

WSS

Archived