THE BROWNS BOARD

to all Steeler/Michigan fans from Ohio

Base_D_Fence

I've concluded from my interactions with friends, co-workers, and people from all walks of life that the typical steelers fan from Ohio is usually a Michigan fan also. Most of these Steeler/Michigan fans have never even been to Pittsburgh or Ann Arbor, let alone to a game. The root of their allegiance seems to be hatred for all things Ohio. Usually these are self hating and angry people. We have two professional football teams in the state and consistently one of the top programs in the country for college football. I've questioned several of these Ohio native Pittsburg/Michigan fans about this and they usually have some dumb response such as "I just hate the Browns or Ohio State sucks." Anyone else who has observed this trend feel free to chime in.

i strongly dislike the ohio state buckeyes. it seems that their most overzealous fans have never set foot in a college classroom much less the actual OSU. i'm a huge ohio university football fan though. i'm an alum and current grad student and to see their program getting better is pretty cool.

i've been a browns fan my entire life but i've always hated the bengals more than the steelers. living in southern ohio will do that to a man.

i strongly dislike the ohio state buckeyes. it seems that their most overzealous fans have never set foot in a college classroom much less the actual OSU. i'm a huge ohio university football fan though. i'm an alum and current grad student and to see their program getting better is pretty cool.

i've been a browns fan my entire life but i've always hated the bengals more than the steelers. living in southern ohio will do that to a man.

I completely agree. I currently go to Ohio University and can't stand the amount of people who just jump on the OSU Bandwagon. Not everyone who lives in Ohio has to like OSU. I'm not sure 90% of Ohioans even know that there are any other Ohio colleges. Go CATS and Go BROWNS.

I completely agree. I currently go to Ohio University and can't stand the amount of people who just jump on the OSU Bandwagon. Not everyone who lives in Ohio has to like OSU. I'm not sure 90% of Ohioans even know that there are any other Ohio colleges. Go CATS and Go BROWNS.

I think it is a case simply that Ohio State is perceived as THE State school to root for. (and I don't mean that as an allusion to their "THE Ohio State University" thing). It is just a case of this being the Buckeye State, and they being the Buckeyes, I guess.

I didn't go to OSU, nor do any of my family, yet, yes, I root for them as Ohio's main school. It is of course by far the largest, well attended, well promoted school. It is just something ingrained. And I go all the way back to the early 60s with this, so it isn't like a new phenomena.

Ohio U. just got relegated somehow to the minor leagues when it comes to its sports program. I don't know how this happened. In most other states it is the college which is just the name of the state with no additive that is the "main" sports school: Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, and many others.

In some states both the "State college" and the college which is just the name of the state stand on a pretty even par with each other:

Michigan and Michigan State

Iowa and Iowa State

Washington and Washington State

Oregon and Oregon State

Arizona and Arizona State

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State

Florida and Florida State

North Carolina and North Carolina State

etc.

Sometimes you get a "Tech" or an "A&M" that is a somewhat equal in their athletic program:

Georgia and Georgia Tech

Virginia and Virginia Tech

Texas and Texas A&M and Texas Tech

Sometimes the "State" school is more predominant sports wise. Like with Ohio State, or Penn State.

Sometimes a different school altogether can predominate a state or be equal to one of the 'State/state" schools:

Purdue

Auburn

Duke

UCLA or USC

BYU

Miami

So, one never knows.

(But yes, I have found that many so called Steeler fans are not Steeler fans at all, but merely "Anti-Browns" fans for what reason I don't know. Perhaps like you said, it is merely a personality flaw, or a rebelliousness to the "establishment", or self-loathing, or merely a "Grinch complex" because of some perceived slight that occurred to them as a child. (note how I got in a relevent holiday season reference there). Maybe they weren't allowed to play Jim Brown when they were a kid out on the ballyard because some bigger kid chose to play Jim Brown and they were told they had to play Patsy Pittsburger.

Something like that may have been the cause. Who the f**k knows?

There are no rules on what topics to start here.

I disagree with his main premise though, a majority of Steeler fans are loyal to Pittsburgh and love the Buckeyes, Tribe and Cavs.

Living in Akron, I see this everywhere. The Youngstown area in general is now Pitt fans and even my hometown of Ashtabula has become inundated. Gipper hit it on head about OSU, they are the main university in the state.

It is beyond annoying to watch a bunch of so called fans laugh at the Browns and us fans that have been there for a long time as diehards. That's another reason the win over the Squeelers was so sweet. Even though the Pitt fans on this board are a pain in the ass, they are actual fans and not some bandwagonners looking to prop themselves up and look down on the real fans who bleed Brown and Orange.

There are no rules on what topics to start here.

I disagree with his main premise though, a majority of Steeler fans are loyal to Pittsburgh and love the Buckeyes, Tribe and Cavs.

Living in Akron, I see this everywhere. The Youngstown area in general is now Pitt fans and even my hometown of Ashtabula has become inundated. Gipper hit it on head about OSU, they are the main university in the state.

It is beyond annoying to watch a bunch of so called fans laugh at the Browns and us fans that have been there for a long time as diehards. That's another reason the win over the Squeelers was so sweet. Even though the Pitt fans on this board are a pain in the ass, they are actual fans and not some bandwagonners looking to prop themselves up and look down on the real fans who bleed Brown and Orange.

a majority of Steeler fans are loyal to Pittsburgh and love the Buckeyes, Tribe and Cavs ? I do follow the Cavs ... But am a Fan of the Pirates and Penguins and the Pitt Panthers,,, No Hoops in the Burgh... But then i was Born In Pittsburgh . I pull for OSU as well. Despise PeNN St.

a majority of Steeler fans are loyal to Pittsburgh and love the Buckeyes, Tribe and Cavs ? I do follow the Cavs ... But am a Fan of the Pirates and Penguins and the Pitt Panthers,,, No Hoops in the Burgh... But then i was Born In Pittsburgh . I pull for OSU as well. Despise PeNN St.

Where do you live ya Freak?

i got attached to OSU from those Heros I watched in HS. Aaron Brown Tim Brown Kelton dansler Ty Hicks... even Danny Herron now i watched all thru HS( Mo Clarett as well ...sad sad sad) So I have followed the Bucks maybe to stick it to my Pops as a Kid lol... he was a Paterno Lover and I Hated PSU .

We moved from New Kensington Pa. to Warren , Ohio when I was a Young Kid late 60`s. I live in the Youngstown area still.

Warren is overflowing with Steeler fans now. You are like many in Akron: family moved here in 60's for rubber jobs.

My Dad was a Millwright worked for Taylor Winfield and Later Ford in Bedford Heights.

So our jobs and living conditions are good enough for you but not our football team? That's like the illegal immigrants that come to the United States to prosper and hang Mexicos flag in there yard.

I have no problem with people from PA. rooting for the Steelers, Pitt,Penn State, or the

Pirates. They should.+

It's the people from Ohio who root for the Steelers that get to me. They choose the Steelers

and maybe the Indians or Yankees in baseball and OSU in football.

What do they do when the OH---IO cheer goes up??? Chant I root for a Pennsylvania team???

There is a word for Ohio Steeler fans----FRONTRUNNERS.

The next time an Ohio person says he is a Steeler fan ask him " What part of Pennsylvania

are you from???". If he is from Pa. congraulate him on his loyalty. If he is from Ohio

frontrunner and traitor come to mind.

I know what you mean. I was born and raised in NE Ohio so I cant imagine rooting for any other team EVER. There's 3 people that married into my family and every single one of them are from Pissburgh so as you can imagine family gatherings can get interesting around this time of year. Im really looking forward to Christmas time when I get to rub it in there face how the Browns killed pissburghs playoff hopes. It's going to be great.

Well, I think you really have to distinguish certain fans. Freakazoid here is clearly a true fan of the Pittsburgh area, good, bad, or indifferent. I mean, he may crow if the Penquins and Steelers do well, but he acknowledges that he stays true to the Pirates who we know have been crap for a long time. Good for him. Some of you may not remember, but we went through 40 years of it with the Tribe (I DO remember).

Others of these so called Steeler fans will really blow with the wind. They are around here, yes, idiots. They will glom on to the Steelers if they are good, or the Celtics, or the Bulls.

How often did you see Chicago Bulls gear when Jordan was playing for them? All the time. How often do you see it now? Never.

I have no problem with people from PA. rooting for the Steelers, Pitt,Penn State, or the

Pirates. They should.+

It's the people from Ohio who root for the Steelers that get to me. They choose the Steelers

and maybe the Indians or Yankees in baseball and OSU in football.

What do they do when the OH---IO cheer goes up??? Chant I root for a Pennsylvania team???

There is a word for Ohio Steeler fans----FRONTRUNNERS.

The next time an Ohio person says he is a Steeler fan ask him " What part of Pennsylvania

are you from???". If he is from Pa. congraulate him on his loyalty. If he is from Ohio

frontrunner and traitor come to mind.

I have done that frequently.....and an answer I often get is something like: Oh, I have family that lives in (fill in the blank of Western Pa. town). I say, Oh, you were raised there, and your parents live there? Then they say "no, I have a cousin that lives there". WTF, they use the "I have family" excuse to lie to us and to them about their own lack of loyalty, because deep inside they know they lack character and fortitude.

I know what you mean. I was born and raised in NE Ohio so I cant imagine rooting for any other team EVER. There's 3 people that married into my family and every single one of them are from Pissburgh so as you can imagine family gatherings can get interesting around this time of year. Im really looking forward to Christmas time when I get to rub it in there face how the Browns killed pissburghs playoff hopes. It's going to be great.

I have a brother in law who is a Steeler fan....but at least he grew up in Pittsburgh area. I have another who is a Bengal fan, but he grew up in Cincy, though he says that now that he had moved to South Carolina several years ago, he no longer follows them or pays attention, even now when they are doing well. (but he has NOT become a Panther fan).

So our jobs and living conditions are good enough for you but not our football team? That's like the illegal immigrants that come to the United States to prosper and hang Mexicos flag in there yard.

LOL... He wasnt about to Raise up BROWNS fans... And my Girls Born Bred in OHIO... STEELER FANS baby. Thats why If you gys ask "What part of Pa. are you from ? " You should follow (If answers is not from Ohio) "Then what part of Pa. is your mom or dad from ?" If these questions fail ...I understand you stance. Though I stand by that ALL are welcome on the Black and Gold. My dad had a Cousin from Beaver Falls Pa. who LOVED the Browns.... Not sure why. Think it was Jim Brown as he always talked about him. By the way I seen some Mexican Flags when i was in Phoenix...

(I'm from Warren, hence the nickname, WarrenDawg.) I was born in Warren in 1978. As a kid growing up there, I recall most people in the area being Browns fans. I think it's safe to say Warrenites my age and older are still Browns fans. It's mostly the younger kids, frontrunners, morons, and influx of transients into the area who are the Steeler fans. Most of the Browns diehards from Warren, like myself, have left the area because of lack of skilled position jobs. There always were a few Steeler fans around in the 80's, and the ones that I knew did have family ties from PA, which I understand. Warren isn't too far from the PA line... Youngstown TV stations have always aired Browns games over Steeler games, but the area is a battleground [that divides families].

I graduated from YSU. I attended while Tressel was there, and I was glad to see him get the job as HC for the Buckeyes. I went to the YSU football games, had two cousins that were captains under Tressel, still love the Penguins... But during that time, and still now, I root for the Buckeyes. OSU doesn't represent "all the college football in Ohio", but Ohioans should want them to win "for the greater cause".

I'm living in the Cincinnati area now, and I attend UC, and I'm glad that the Bearcats had a great season. I'm a Buckeye, Penguin, & Bearcat fan for all listed reasons (which makes sense).

Of course, I will never like the Bengals, but I do have to tolerate all the Bengal sh*t at bars and all (living in enemy territory).

The Michigan/Steeler/Yankee/Cowboy fans with no ties, living in Ohio, are mostly frontrunning morons. They will disappear when these teams continue to suck.

Remember all the "Bulls fans" there used to be during the Jordon era? Where are they now?

LOL... He wasnt about to Raise up BROWNS fans... And my Girls Born Bred in OHIO... STEELER FANS baby. Thats why If you gys ask "What part of Pa. are you from ? " You should follow (If answers is not from Ohio) "Then what part of Pa. is your mom or dad from ?" If these questions fail ...I understand you stance. Though I stand by that ALL are welcome on the Black and Gold. My dad had a Cousin from Beaver Falls Pa. who LOVED the Browns.... Not sure why. Think it was Jim Brown as he always talked about him. By the way I seen some Mexican Flags when i was in Phoenix...

I think that is what I said above. If someone's folks were from that area it is totally understandable, but their wife's third cousin, six times removed? Bogus, yet I hear that sort of silliness.

I have cousins in Minnesota, should I be a Viking fan? (Though, I will admit, that if I have an English Premier League Soccer team, it is the Liverpool FC because I have cousins there....but that is an ocean away)

Hell, I am even having trouble in my own household. My daughter is talking like she might like the freeking Cowboys JUST because she likes the damn cheerleaders (her reasons for liking the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders are WHOLLY different than my reasons for liking the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders)

[

The Michigan/Steeler/Yankee/Cowboy fans with no ties, living in Ohio, are mostly frontrunning morons. They will disappear when these teams continue to suck.

Remember all the "Bulls fans" there used to be during the Jordon era? Where are they now?

One of them plays small forward for the Cleveland Cavaliers.

All I know is that I have lived in the Youngstown area all my life and from the 60s up

until the 80s you had to search long and hard to find a Steeler fan in this area.

Amazing how winning brings in fair-weathered fans.

I just talked to a guy who described himself as a "die-hard" Steeler fan from the

Youngstown area. I asked him how long he had been a Steeler fan since he is my

age (50s). He said " Oh a long time! The last 20 years or so." FRONTRUNNER--

Where were you for the first 35 years of your life when the Steelers STUNK?????

All I know is that I have lived in the Youngstown area all my life and from the 60s up

until the 80s you had to search long and hard to find a Steeler fan in this area.

Amazing how winning brings in fair-weathered fans.

I just talked to a guy who described himself as a "die-hard" Steeler fan from the

Youngstown area. I asked him how long he had been a Steeler fan since he is my

age (50s). He said " Oh a long time! The last 20 years or so." FRONTRUNNER--

Where were you for the first 35 years of your life when the Steelers STUNK?????

Well, the dude may indeed have been a FRAK, but, if he was say 55, then he would have only been 20 when the Steelers began their string of 4 titles in the 70s.

Though, it is my sincere belief that a person' allegiances to a team are set at somewhere between 8-12 years old. Mine certainly were. That is why I have always been first and formost an Indians and Browns fan (and also OSU) because between 1960 and 1962 or '63 that is when I began following them. The Cavs didn't come around until I was in college and off with other things in mind, so my connection with them is not as great as with the teams of boyhood.

Is this the same as most of your experiences?

(I'm from Warren, hence the nickname, WarrenDawg.) I was born in Warren in 1978. As a kid growing up there, I recall most people in the area being Browns fans. I think it's safe to say Warrenites my age and older are still Browns fans. It's mostly the younger kids, frontrunners, morons, and influx of transients into the area who are the Steeler fans. Most of the Browns diehards from Warren, like myself, have left the area because of lack of skilled position jobs. There always were a few Steeler fans around in the 80's, and the ones that I knew did have family ties from PA, which I understand. Warren isn't too far from the PA line... Youngstown TV stations have always aired Browns games over Steeler games, but the area is a battleground [that divides families].

I graduated from YSU. I attended while Tressel was there, and I was glad to see him get the job as HC for the Buckeyes. I went to the YSU football games, had two cousins that were captains under Tressel, still love the Penguins... But during that time, and still now, I root for the Buckeyes. OSU doesn't represent "all the college football in Ohio", but Ohioans should want them to win "for the greater cause".

I'm living in the Cincinnati area now, and I attend UC, and I'm glad that the Bearcats had a great season. I'm a Buckeye, Penguin, & Bearcat fan for all listed reasons (which makes sense).

Of course, I will never like the Bengals, but I do have to tolerate all the Bengal sh*t at bars and all (living in enemy territory).

Very accurate assessment DAwg... And there were a LOT of years in the Late 70`s and 80`s that WKBN WYTV and WFMJ played Steeler Games over Browns games. They were Feeding off of all those Super Bowls and the fact you Stated People with those ties to W. Pa. ...So You went to Harding ?? Funny I Graduated from Warren Western Reserve in 1979... You young Buck. Still go see the Raiders play !!

I have a brother in law who is a Steeler fan....but at least he grew up in Pittsburgh area. I have another who is a Bengal fan, but he grew up in Cincy, though he says that now that he had moved to South Carolina several years ago, he no longer follows them or pays attention, even now when they are doing well. (but he has NOT become a Panther fan).

I live in South Carolina and have yet to run into a Panther fan. It's really strange.

Archived