THE BROWNS BOARD

to all Steeler/Michigan fans from Ohio

Base_D_Fence

How often did you see Chicago Bulls gear when Jordan was playing for them? All the time. How often do you see it now? Never.

True. Used to see kids wearing Bulls jerseys all the time. I haven't seen one in years.

Just an aside: We have a life-size cardboard cutout of Michael Jordan where I work. Up until this year,it seemed as though nearly every kid coming through was able to identify him by name (probably because of "Space Jam"). This year kids have started to point and say, "That's Michael Jackson!"

• 2 weeks later...
I've concluded from my interactions with friends, co-workers, and people from all walks of life that the typical steelers fan from Ohio is usually a Michigan fan also. Most of these Steeler/Michigan fans have never even been to Pittsburgh or Ann Arbor, let alone to a game. The root of their allegiance seems to be hatred for all things Ohio. Usually these are self hating and angry people. We have two professional football teams in the state and consistently one of the top programs in the country for college football. I've questioned several of these Ohio native Pittsburg/Michigan fans about this and they usually have some dumb response such as "I just hate the Browns or Ohio State sucks." Anyone else who has observed this trend feel free to chime in.

Ran across this post while surfing for ohio steeler fans and could not resist responding. I grew up in a small town on the ohio-wv border. My hometown is only 30 minutes from Pittsburgh. I grew up primarily watching the Pirates and Steelers all the time. If you wanted to see a pro game it was much easier to zip right up to Three Rivers. The first pro baseball and football game I saw were both at Three Rivers so it was hard not to be a Steeler fan. Trust me though I hate Michigan with a passion, and I am a Buckeye having attended OSU myself. So there it is, I am a Steeler and a Buckeye and proud of it. Believe me there are more Steeler/Buckeye fans than you may realize and we are not all bandwagon jumpers. I have been a Steeler since attending my first game in 1971. Oh by the way, congrats on snapping the streak against us, your defense played lights-out.

How about this for a Jan.2 headline.................BUCKS ROASTS DUCKS!!!

I'd bet the psychology is interesting.

Sure there are some who are, or whose family is from PA (or went to MI) but in most cases I assume theres some passive agressive behavior going on.

Wearing the colors in Ohio is certainly an anti social act.

WSS

Yeah, I think there is some passive aggressive behavior, but it is more a conformity thing to me. The direct success of Pitt and suckage of the Browns creates that. As much as we have some of the burnout high school types that really don't know sports but relate to Pitt (cuz of their colors, winning and being the mortal enemies of the yuppy fellow high schoolers they hate) there are also plenty of the conformists types that once the bandwagon gets a rolling, they attach themselves for an identity.

It props up their self esteem, quite simply, because they are weak people to begin with.

I'd bet the psychology is interesting.

Sure there are some who are, or whose family is from PA (or went to MI) but in most cases I assume theres some passive agressive behavior going on.

Wearing the colors in Ohio is certainly an anti social act.

WSS

My home town was dominated by a steel mill. Though my official high school colors were lavender and purple, the athletic teams wore the "fight" colors of black and gold. The players were known as the Lorain Steelmen or, alternately, the Steelers. Curiously, we never made any connection whatsoever to the Pittsburgh team. We were definitely Browns fans all the way.

Ran across this post while surfing for ohio steeler fans and could not resist responding. I grew up in a small town on the ohio-wv border. My hometown is only 30 minutes from Pittsburgh. I grew up primarily watching the Pirates and Steelers all the time. If you wanted to see a pro game it was much easier to zip right up to Three Rivers. The first pro baseball and football game I saw were both at Three Rivers so it was hard not to be a Steeler fan. Trust me though I hate Michigan with a passion, and I am a Buckeye having attended OSU myself. So there it is, I am a Steeler and a Buckeye and proud of it. Believe me there are more Steeler/Buckeye fans than you may realize and we are not all bandwagon jumpers. I have been a Steeler since attending my first game in 1971. Oh by the way, congrats on snapping the streak against us, your defense played lights-out.

How about this for a Jan.2 headline.................BUCKS ROASTS DUCKS!!!

Your type is understandable and I think most people know that is the case with towns on the border, although the fact you guys have won certainly doesn't hurt. Fact is, there used to be many Browns fans in those areas regardless of proximity, but the Pitt winning has converted many more than originally.

Some of you get a pass if you actually live in Ohio to be Buckeyes fans, or in your case went to school there. However, Pitt is a big time school and the same distance as rooting for the pro teams, so again, most of those types in your area go with the winner as their fan identity.

This thread is more about people in NE Ohio mainly, from Ashtabula to Sandusky to Canton that are flat out flaming bandwagonners. They root for the Steelers and the Buckeyes like little queers cuz they have no balls--or in the women's case, some of them do.

I remember about 8 years ago going to my favorite pub to watch a Buckeye-Wisconsin game. I was all pumped up for it and especially to watch it with about 6 of my Cleveland/OSU buddies etc. Lo and behold, there was Chuck and Janine, two of the biggest Steeler toolboxes ever sitting at our table with us like they belonged. It completely ruined the game for me, as they were obnoxious asshole Pitt fans that didn't know shit yet always rubbed the Browns in our faces, and that was back toward expansion still. They were both from Akron and had no affiliation with Puke, and to me it was a bunch of bullshit them sitting with us representing themselves as similar type fans. We ended up blowing a 17 point lead and losing that game, but I can remember being somewhat content with the fact those asshole Steeler fans didn't get their way for once.

This is just one example of the choadiness from bandwagon fans in the area riding the Buckeyes while laughing in the faces of their local Pro team. And you're right, they are everywhere, I think we have been saying that.

My friends like Flugs and others think they know and think they hate Steeler fan, but until you live here and see it every freaking day you have no idea. This is friggen Cleveland Browns territory, one of the most storied franchises ever in one of the best football areas there is, but since we aren't any good we have to watch a bunch of pansies run around waving their yellow fags. And on top of that call the Buckeyes your own? Please.....

I think that is what I said above. If someone's folks were from that area it is totally understandable, but their wife's third cousin, six times removed? Bogus, yet I hear that sort of silliness.

I have cousins in Minnesota, should I be a Viking fan? (Though, I will admit, that if I have an English Premier League Soccer team, it is the Liverpool FC because I have cousins there....but that is an ocean away)

Hell, I am even having trouble in my own household. My daughter is talking like she might like the freeking Cowboys JUST because she likes the damn cheerleaders (her reasons for liking the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders are WHOLLY different than my reasons for liking the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders)

LOL Poor guy. I HAD A cheerleader. LOL... My Youngest is a Girl Basketball Player (JV) And Softball Player(Much more enjoyable than Cheerleading).

Archived