THE BROWNS BOARD

The Mangini-Holmgren Possibility

Earl34

From NFL.com....certainly, there is enough speculation that Mangini and Holmgren are NOT mutually exclusive

Posted about 17 hours ago

52 Comments 2 Recommendations E-mail

Mangini says he's not worried by Browns' interest in Holmgren

Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Mike Holmgren left Cleveland after an extended stay without accepting a job to become boss of the Browns.

His aura lingered.

The former Seattle Seahawks and Green Bay Packers coach's flirtation with the team dragged on Wednesday with little word from either side. Holmgren spent two days talking with the Browns about assuming control of their football operations, but he hasn't decided if Cleveland will be his next NFL stop.

La Canfora: End for Mangini

NFL Network insider

Jason La Canfora writes that Mike Holmgren's arrival in Cleveland likely would mean the end of coach

Eric Mangini's brief Browns tenure. More ...

» More: La Canfora's blog

Browns spokesman Bill Bonsiewicz said talks are ongoing with Holmgren's agent, Bob LaMonte.

"I don't want to comment on the specifics of the discussions," Bonsiewicz said. "Both sides got to know each other, and there is no timetable for a decision."

It is presumed that the Browns offered Holmgren the job during his visit, and it appears he is weighing his options, which could include several other teams in the days and weeks ahead. He wants to talk to the Seahawks about coming back following general manager Tim Ruskell's recent resignation.

Messages for agent Bob LaMonte, who accompanied Holmgren on his visit to the Browns, weren't immediately returned.

Jim Donovan, the Browns' play-by-play announcer, reported Wednesday night that the team's offer to Holmgren is for between $8 and $10 million per season.

Browns coach Eric Mangini, whose destiny could be decided by Cleveland's new football czar, was placed in the awkward position of having to answer several questions about Holmgren's courtship. He put on a brave face and insisted that he's not fazed by team owner Randy Lerner's quest to find a "serious, credible leader," one who ultimately will control the coach's fate.

"It's not unsettling, at all," said Mangini, who's 2-11 in his first season with the Browns. "What I'm focused on, and what I asked the players to be focused on, is the task at hand, the opponent at hand."

Mangini met with the 61-year-old Holmgren during his visit, which began Monday and concluded Tuesday night without a deal being completed. They've known each other for a few years, and Mangini said they reminisced about a previous discussion when Holmgren gave the coach some advice about buying a summer home in Cape Cod.

For more on the Cleveland Browns, check out the latest

from our bloggers.

» Blog Blitz: Browns

"I think he's a good guy," Mangini said. "I know him some through Andy Reid and through Bill Parcells. I thought it was a good conversation. Obviously, he's very talented as a coach. It was a good, positive conversation."

Mangini would welcome the addition of an overseer of Holmgren's distinction.

"I'm all for anybody that can come in and help us organizationally be more successful," the coach said. "That's a great thing. The more smart people, talented people you can put in the building that have the same approach in terms of being focused on winning, that's the best thing you can have.

"You can't ask for a better situation than to get a group of people who are all focused on the same task. That's what you want. That's what you strive for organizationally. That's what you strive for as a team."

Mangini had no sense of Holmgren's interest level in the perpetually rebuilding Browns, who have made the playoffs only once since 1999 and are on their fourth coach in the last 11 years. He also doesn't know if there is any advantage in putting a "football czar," a term first given to Bill Parcells when he took over in Miami, in place before the end of the season.

"I haven't been involved in czar searches before, so I don't know what the best path is," Mangini said, cracking a smile. "I'm not sure what the best path is. I think the most important thing is to get the right person in place and to move forward, whether that's today, whether it's three weeks from now. Whatever point it is, the key thing is to get the right person and move forward organizationally."

Holmgren was the topic du jour in Cleveland's locker room. The Browns got back to work after an extended break following their Dec. 10 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers amid rumblings of more change.

Although none of the players admitted seeing Holmgren, most were aware that he had been in the hallways of the team's headquarters.

Pro Bowl tackle Joe Thomas grew up in Wisconsin and remembers Holmgren from his days with the Packers.

"He was the Super Bowl coach when I was like 12," Thomas said. "So obviously his name holds pretty good value, especially where I come from. They even named a street after him: Holmgren Way."

2010 Pro Bowl The polls are open! Fans can vote now for their favorite players for the 2010 NFL Pro Bowl, to be played Jan 31 at Dolphin Stadium in Miami, Fla. Vote here!

Offensive guard Floyd Womack was drafted by Holmgren and played eight seasons for him in Seattle. Womack has no doubt the three-time Super Bowl coach could help the Browns.

"He's a smart man," Womack said. "He knows football, and he's been around for a good while in this league. If he was to come, I think he'd do a good job."

If Holmgren does agree to take on the Browns, there's a chance he could decide to keep Mangini, who was fired by the New York Jets after last season. Although they seem to come from different philosophical schools, Womack believes a Holmgren-Mangini team could succeed.

"In this business, anybody can get along together," Womack said. "The main goal is to win."

Mangini, who might have to build a case to convince Holmgren that he should stay as coach, believes his ideas and principles easily could mesh with Holmgren's.

"Oftentimes you're labeled with family trees and philosophies and things like that, but the philosophy that I think we all want is winning," Mangini said. "Whether it's West Coast, East Coast, it's winning. Mike ran really physical, demanding training camps. I don't think there's anything inconsistent about that philosophy. His goal is to win. That's it. However you get to that point."

From NFL.com....certainly, there is enough speculation that Mangini and Holmgren are NOT mutually exclusive

Lets hope if Holmgren agrees to take the job that Mangini and his entire staff is shown the door

Bye Bye Mangini and your terrible assistants

Seems to me we should set our expectations higher than beating the Steelers for Mangini to stay, has everyone forgot how this team has looked in losing 11 games before we beat the Steelers? I have seen some High Schools with much better offenses and schemes on offense than Mangini's 2009 version.

We play 2 bad teams in the Chiefs and Raiders and a very average Jags team to close the season so even going 3-0 or 2-1 is not enough for me to want to see Mangini return. The way I see things we beat a Steeler team that lost to the Raiders and Chiefs, and a poor Buffalo team thats already fired there head coach so beating the Raiders and Chiefs and maybe the Jags does not convince me that Mangini should get another year. No Browns team has been more brutal to watch than this season, for most of the season we looked like a division 2 college team on offense and thats all on Mangini.

The other thing that bothers me is guys like Evan Moore, Jennings, Bernard the only reason we are seeing these guys is because of injuries, if not for injuries Mangini would still be running Lewis, Royal and other veteran like the stiffs we got from the Jets who have contributed nothing on the field this season.

I think its sad that the best linebacker we have playing is Roth who we picked up off waivers, and Trusnik a guy who never played anything but special teams for the Jets.

Lets hope if Holmgren agrees to take the job that Mangini and his entire staff is shown the door

Bye Bye Mangini and your terrible assistants

Seems to me we should set our expectations higher than beating the Steelers for Mangini to stay, has everyone forgot how this team has looked in losing 11 games before we beat the Steelers? I have seen some High Schools with much better offenses and schemes on offense than Mangini's 2009 version.

We play 2 bad teams in the Chiefs and Raiders and a very average Jags team to close the season so even going 3-0 or 2-1 is not enough for me to want to see Mangini return. The way I see things we beat a Steeler team that lost to the Raiders and Chiefs, and a poor Buffalo team thats already fired there head coach so beating the Raiders and Chiefs and maybe the Jags does not convince me that Mangini should get another year. No Browns team has been more brutal to watch than this season, for most of the season we looked like a division 2 college team on offense and thats all on Mangini.

The other thing that bothers me is guys like Evan Moore, Jennings, Bernard the only reason we are seeing these guys is because of injuries, if not for injuries Mangini would still be running Lewis, Royal and other veteran like the stiffs we got from the Jets who have contributed nothing on the field this season.

I think its sad that the best linebacker we have playing is Roth who we picked up off waivers, and Trusnik a guy who never played anything but special teams for the Jets.

Which high schools would those be coach?

I have seen some High Schools with much better offenses and schemes on offense than Mangini's 2009 version.

All guys think they're better at 3 things then all other guys.

1. cooking a steak

2. screwing

3. coaching offensive football.

Ever notice how the average football fan always talk about play calling on offense and players on defense.because they understand nothing of whats going on on defense. Its not freakin Madden you know

I have seen some High Schools with much better offenses and schemes on offense than Mangini's 2009 version.

All guys think they're better at 3 things then all other guys.

1. cooking a steak

2. screwing

3. coaching offensive football.

Ever notice how the average football fan always talk about play calling on offense and players on defense.because they understand nothing of whats going on on defense. Its not freakin Madden you know

LOL. So true. I guess he meant the high school HE goes to. The schemes have been fine. The execution has been poor. Guys are open. What's the scheme in the running game that makes St. Clair suck? Oh wait,..he sucked before.

Archived