THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Holmgren may clarify plans on Seattle radio show

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...arify_plan.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Mike Holmgren may disclose on his weekly radio show in Seattle today whether he will accept a conditional Browns' offer to become their new senior executive of football operations.

And even if he doesn't tip his hand, signs point to Holmgren taking the job contingent on finalizing a deal with the club.

In breaking their silence Thursday on Holmgren's two-day visit to their facility, the Browns did not deny a report that the job had been offered.

Bill Bonsiewicz, the Browns' vice president of communications, said: "We had a productive meeting over the course of a couple days. We agreed to communicate again in the coming days. I can tell you the one thing we have not discussed to this point is money."

League sources have said Holmgren may command up to $10 million a year for the challenge of taking over the Browns' football operations. Holmgren was the NFL's highest-paid coach in his last season of 2008 at about $7 million. That computed to about $1.75 million per win. The Seahawks were 4-12.

Money may be a mere formality to billionaire owner Randy Lerner. But a deal can't be sealed until the Browns comply with the NFL's Rooney Rule, which requires they interview a minority candidate for the job.

"And it must be a legitimate interview," a league source closely familiar with the NFL's vigilant enforcement of the rule said.

Bonsiewicz said the Browns have been in contact with the NFL office regarding compliance of the Rooney Rule. But he would not say whether the Browns have interviewed a minority candidate or if the club has other interviews scheduled for the position seemingly awaiting Holmgren.

The Washington Redskins raised eyebrows Thursday when they announced, in rapid fire, the resignation of Vinny Cerrato as vice president of football operations and the hiring of Bruce Allen to succeed him.

But the club reportedly complied with the Rooney Rule by interviewing two minority candidates. They weren't made public, possibly because Cerrato was still on the job.

In the Browns' case, the job has been vacant since Lerner stated his desire to hire "a serious, credible leader" following a 30-6 loss in Chicago on Nov. 1. The next day, General Manager George Kokinis was fired.

The changes in Washington eliminated the Redskins as a competitor for Holmgren's services. Another one eliminated is Seattle. The Seahawks reportedly informed Holmgren that he will not be a candidate for their general manager vacancy. Yet another potential competitor eliminated is San Francisco. The 49ers last week said they do not intend to make any management changes heading into 2010.

Holmgren reportedly has told friends that he wanted to know his employment plans by Christmas or New Year's Day, at the latest.

If the Browns do complete a deal with Holmgren, it would mean the organization has virtually come full circle since being reborn as an expansion franchise 11 years ago.

Shortly after the NFL awarded the expansion franchise to the partnership of Al Lerner and Carmen Policy, Policy got in hot water for making glib remarks about Holmgren, who then was finishing up his tenure as coach of the Green Bay Packers.

At a Cleveland City Club luncheon, Policy was asked in a question-and-answer session with the audience if he would be interested in pursuing Holmgren as the new Browns' first coach if Holmgren should leave Green Bay, as was being speculated.

At first Policy answered that he couldn't talk about Holmgren because of the league's anti-tampering rules. Then he said, "Let's just say if a head coach who's out there, who has won a Super Bowl, who has been to another Super Bowl, who is coaching a team in contention for the playoffs this year, who is an offensive-minded coach, looking to perhaps move when the season's over, were to be interested . . ."

The audience cheered and laughed as Policy let his voice tail off.

A few days later, Commissioner Paul Tagliabue fined Policy $10,000.

Holmgren and agent Bob LaMonte have not spoken publicly about their visit with Lerner and other Browns officials on Monday and Tuesday.

It is assumed that Holmgren does not want to coach the team, but he would have free rein in deciding whether Eric Mangini continues as Browns coach.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...arify_plan.html

Money may be a mere formality to billionaire owner Randy Lerner. But a deal can't be sealed until the Browns comply with the NFL's Rooney Rule, which requires they interview a minority candidate for the job.

"And it must be a legitimate interview," a league source closely familiar with the NFL's vigilant enforcement of the rule said.

They cant be serious about that.

I listened to the Radio show and this is what I heard :

Mike is VERY interested in the job. He likes the opportunity and sees it as one of the best jobs that you can have in the NFL.

He said that he met with Lerner and really likes him. He likes that he wants to win for the team, the city and the players. He likes that he is honest and upfront. He REALLY likes Lerner, and enjoys that fact that it will be him and Lerner...no one in between. He called it "refreshing"

On if there is a time table : "Sooner than later".... and he owes it to the Browns to make a informed but prompt desicion.

He also said that during his trip here.....HE WENT LOOKING AT HOUSES.

He likes Mangini and thinks he is a smart, sharp, likable and GOOD coach, and wouldn't think it fair to only give him 1 year....but he didn't rule it out if it was the best decision for the organization.

I think he comes here and we know by next week.

He didn't rule out coaching the team, and really hedged on exactly what his role would be.

I don't like the idea of one guy wearing the coach and gm hats again, even Holmgren. Lerner never learns does he?

Holmgren doesn't have a great track record as a GM/talent evaluator He does have a great history as coach. If he is the coach then Mangini is out and I assume Holmgren is also GM. Which means we still need a President or something as "voice of football operations"??

Lerner is an idiot. You don't bring the guy in and tell him he can do whatever he wants. He should have evaluated Holmgren and understand what role he wants him for. Lerner is just going for the big name guy to appease fans and quiet the media down.

He didn't rule out coaching the team, and really hedged on exactly what his role would be.

I don't like the idea of one guy wearing the coach and gm hats again, even Holmgren. Lerner never learns does he?

Holmgren doesn't have a great track record as a GM/talent evaluator He does have a great history as coach. If he is the coach then Mangini is out and I assume Holmgren is also GM. Which means we still need a President or something as "voice of football operations"??

Lerner is an idiot. You don't bring the guy in and tell him he can do whatever he wants. He should have evaluated Holmgren and understand what role he wants him for. Lerner is just going for the big name guy to appease fans and quiet the media down.

WHOA, let's slow down a little. I don't believe ANY of us know Lerner's thought process in this or what has or hasn't been done or offered. At this point, I'm going to wait & see what happens.

Mike

Holmgren was somewhat evasive in his responses to the questions in the interview but understandably so. It was my impression that the meetings were positive and that Holmgren was asked to consider becoming part of the organization. He was reluctant to describe any specific role he might have. He didn't rule anything out; But he wasn't specific about what he WOULD do either. He denied any discussion of money. It sounded like the next step was for him to come back to Lerner with a "yes, I'm definitely interested" or "It's a great opportunity for someone but it's not a good fit for my family." After that, specific discussions would begin in order to define roles and come up with a financial offer in keeping with the structure they decide upon.

Then again, this is what I inferred from tactfully worded responses to the interviewer. As for the "looking at houses" remark, I would say this means Holmgren is willing to give serious consideration to the position and needed housing information to flesh out the discussions with his spouse before making a decision.

I enjoyed listening to Holmgren very much and was really encouraged by the nice things he had to say about Lerner and his desire to create a winning organization for Cleveland and the fans. He also comes across as a thoughtful individual with lots of common sense and a thoroughly nice guy. There were no platitudes or canned responses. He seemed quite genuine.

Archived