THE BROWNS BOARD

Leon Powe update

SJ_Browns

from cleveland.com:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...ther_hurdl.html

It is just a step in the process, but Leon Powe got good news from his doctor this week, and he's just cleared another hurdle in returning from his knee injury.

Instead of traveling with the Cavaliers to Philadelphia on Wednesday, Powe instead went to Boston to see Dr. Brian McKeon, who performed the anterior cruciate ligament repair and microfracture surgery on Powe's left knee last May. After looking at his latest MRI and giving him an examination, Powe said McKeon has cleared him to begin doing full-court running and drills.

"It was encouraging because everything is looking good right now," Powe said. "They want me to get back out there and do some more and see how my knee responds."

Powe has been doing cutting drills for the past few weeks and last week began playing some 1-on-1 against coaches following practice. Now, he'll be able to expand on those workouts to further test the knee.

The Cavs and Powe do not want to talk about a timetable, probably because it stirs up expectations. Powe said he's scheduled to have one more MRI before he's cleared to rejoin full-contact practice. The signs point to that happening in about a month if he continues to avoid setbacks.

A case for Wild Thing: Cavs coach Mike Brown said he hopes Anderson Varejao starts to get some consideration for the NBA's Sixth Man Award.

The team has played well since Varejao moved to the bench from his starting role, and he's averaging 7.8 points and 8.0 rebounds. Those stats aren't that impressive, which Brown knows may hold Varejao back when being considered for the award. Last season, the Dallas Mavericks' Jason Terry won the award averaging more than 19 points per game.

So Brown offers up something else -- that Varejao is the Cavs' leader in plus/minus, a measure of how the score changes when a player is on the court. This season, his per-game average is +12.

"What he does you can't measure it in stats," Brown said. "You hope that at worst there's consideration for him because he's an invaluable player for us."

O'Neal honored: The NBA awarded Shaquille O'Neal the Community Assist Award for November.

He was involved in numerous charity events both public and personal during the month. It included paying for the funeral of 5-year-old Shaniya Davis, who was murdered in North Carolina.

For the past 13 years, O'Neal has had his "Shaq-A-Claus" program in various cities around the country and donated Christmas toys for children. Over Thanksgiving, he provided meals for 400 needy families in the Cleveland area. Also this year, he became the spokesman for U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots program.

No Twitter for LeBron: The league fined Milwaukee Bucks rookie Brandon Jennings $7,500 for violating the league's Twitter rules.

Jennings put a message on Twitter 15 minutes after a game, which is during the NBA's restricted period of just before, during and just after games. He is just one of the players who use it, including O'Neal, the Orlando Magic's Dwight Howard and the Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade.

Cavs superstar LeBron James doesn't use Twitter and doesn't plan to, either.

"I don't get involved in it. . . . I never got into social networking," James said. "I don't need to tell people I'm in the locker room telling me I'm getting ready for the game. They should know that."

• 1 month later...

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...r_second_s.html

Powe passes tests: Leon Powe cleared several important hurdles this week in his return from left knee surgery, passing strenuous running and stress tests. The Cavs have not determined a specific return date for Powe, who has been out all season recovering from anterior cruciate ligament replacement and microfracture surgery. Powe is hoping to be cleared by doctors next week.

Here's another good read on Powe:

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/features/secondhalf_100212.html

Return of the Show - Following the Break, forward Leon Powe will make his eagerly-awaited debut with the Cavaliers. His last game was Game 2 of Boston's first round matchup with Chicago. Powe tore the ACL and meniscus in his left knee and has been rehabbing since. Powe's been scrimmaging with the team and will probably start off with a minute restriction. Many consider Powe's return akin to making a Deadline deal without making one.

Archived