THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren Declines Seattle offer, wasn't sure if anyone saw this

kpolen4

Updated: December 19, 2009, 10:27 PM ET

Holmgren declines Seattle's job offerComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

The Seattle Seahawks offered a job to former coach Mike Holmgren in a "senior leadership position," but Holmgren declined the offer, the team announced Saturday.

NFC West blog

ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Holmgren, who has also interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for their director of football operations position, met with members of the Seahawks staff, including CEO Tod Leiweke.

"I sincerely thank Paul Allen and Tod for all their support over the years," Holmgren said in a statement. "I thank them for reaching out to me and we conclude these discussions as friends."

The 61-year-old Holmgren won a Super Bowl with the Packers and led the Seahawks to their only Super Bowl appearance as a head coach.

Leiweke said the team met with Holmgren after becoming aware of the time he spent with the Browns and the "associated time pressures" from that situation.

"We hold Mike in high regard and wish the Holmgren family the very best with their new horizons," Leiweke said.

It is presumed the Browns offered Holmgren the job during his visit and it appears he is weighing his options, which could include several other teams in the days and weeks ahead.

Jim Donovan, the Browns' play-by-play announcer, reported Wednesday night that Cleveland's offer to Holmgren is for between $8 million and $10 million per season.

I noticed the article on ESPN is expanded. Says Holmgren wants to have a job by Christmas and that he and his wife talked about his options on their vacation to Mexico.

Turned down Buffalo already.

Sounds like he may be vindictive towards Seattle with the way he was "let go"

Im sure once her accountant told her how much her alimony payments would be if he left her once he takes this job for 10 mil a year she was onboard with it

That was an unnecessarily sexist and cynical remark. Holmgren emphasized in a very gentlemanly, respectful way, his responsibilities to his spouse and how this was a decision they'd make together. That's how a marital partnership should be. I don't know him or his wife at all, so his comments may be just window-dressing, but I didn't get that impression.

Updated: December 19, 2009, 10:27 PM ET

Holmgren declines Seattle's job offerComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

The Seattle Seahawks offered a job to former coach Mike Holmgren in a "senior leadership position," but Holmgren declined the offer, the team announced Saturday.

NFC West blog

ESPN.com's Mike Sando writes about all things NFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Holmgren, who has also interviewed with the Cleveland Browns for their director of football operations position, met with members of the Seahawks staff, including CEO Tod Leiweke.

"I sincerely thank Paul Allen and Tod for all their support over the years," Holmgren said in a statement. "I thank them for reaching out to me and we conclude these discussions as friends."

The 61-year-old Holmgren won a Super Bowl with the Packers and led the Seahawks to their only Super Bowl appearance as a head coach.

Leiweke said the team met with Holmgren after becoming aware of the time he spent with the Browns and the "associated time pressures" from that situation.

"We hold Mike in high regard and wish the Holmgren family the very best with their new horizons," Leiweke said.

It is presumed the Browns offered Holmgren the job during his visit and it appears he is weighing his options, which could include several other teams in the days and weeks ahead.

Jim Donovan, the Browns' play-by-play announcer, reported Wednesday night that Cleveland's offer to Holmgren is for between $8 million and $10 million per season.

It sounds to me like he just wanted them to ask, so he could turn them down. I think he has already decided to come to Cleveland. I hope it works out, but personally, I don't like it. I get the feeling that he wants to be the HC, the GM, and the President. That way he has nobody to answer to, other than Randy Lerner. Of course, this also means it's time to rebuild.....restructure.....replace all the players with "his players"......same old crap. Mangini will end up somewhere and take another team to the Superbowl in a few years. Merry Christmas!

It sounds to me like he just wanted them to ask, so he could turn them down. I think he has already decided to come to Cleveland. I hope it works out, but personally, I don't like it. I get the feeling that he wants to be the HC, the GM, and the President. That way he has nobody to answer to, other than Randy Lerner. Of course, this also means it's time to rebuild.....restructure.....replace all the players with "his players"......same old crap. Mangini will end up somewhere and take another team to the Superbowl in a few years. Merry Christmas!

I like holmgren and think structure/reorganization is what this club needs ,he is extremely popular with fans in seattle and respected by greenbay fans as well i assume over time he will be loved in cleveland as well ,we were going to need to restructure and rebuild again anyways as mangini didnt blow the team up right to begin with and if mangini does get fired or leave the organization the closest he will ever get to a superbowl is at a smorgasbord buffet ,if he loses his job in cleveland he will likely never be an nfl HC again ,and that puts a heavy load on holmgren to give manqueeni another year to prove himself and ryan should be safe if not asked to become HC if manweeni fails ,i do believe brainy daboll is not OC material and could never run holmgrens wco and is almost certainly a goner..perhaps he can fetch balls for the team? ;)

I like holmgren and think structure/reorganization is what this club needs ,he is extremely popular with fans in seattle and respected by greenbay fans as well i assume over time he will be loved in cleveland as well ,we were going to need to restructure and rebuild again anyways as mangini didnt blow the team up right to begin with and if mangini does get fired or leave the organization the closest he will ever get to a superbowl is at a smorgasbord buffet ,if he loses his job in cleveland he will likely never be an nfl HC again ,and that puts a heavy load on holmgren to give manqueeni another year to prove himself and ryan should be safe if not asked to become HC if manweeni fails ,i do believe brainy daboll is not OC material and could never run holmgrens wco and is almost certainly a goner..perhaps he can fetch balls for the team? ;)

I agree with you on Daboll......I just hate to see Mangini leave without getting much of a chance. I know you don't like the guy, but what if we win out the last 3 games? Do you change your mind on him?....I know you have softened a little, but I would like to see him coach another season. I don't think it's going to happen, though. I'm pretty sure that Holmgren is already here, and he wants to coach, manage, scout players, etc.

I agree with you on Daboll......I just hate to see Mangini leave without getting much of a chance. I know you don't like the guy, but what if we win out the last 3 games? Do you change your mind on him?....I know you have softened a little, but I would like to see him coach another season. I don't think it's going to happen, though. I'm pretty sure that Holmgren is already here, and he wants to coach, manage, scout players, etc.

Actually ive softened a lot bro... i use to hate the coach now i just dislike his OC and his offense ,but i do agree he deserves another year to prove himself..he inherited a mess and was trying to run 2 jobs at once (he isnt FO material) while pampering a newbie OC at the same time(his own fault) so that makes it hard to evaluate him as a fulltime coach ,i honestly dont buy into his offensive system or his snowjob about how the process is working when our offense is abysmal but daboll taints much of that imho...

I really do feel that mangini unnecessarily wasted and squandered away an entire season that should have been used to fully and correctly evaluate BQ and all the rookies to at least let us see the future players develop or fail instead we get guys mangini waived during camp and preseason coming in and grabbing the highlights and he claims its all coming together...oh boy...:(

It wont bother me either way if holmgren keeps the geni or ships him off..but in fairness i think the gini deserves another year with a real OC in place to prove if he can build and win or not...on the otherhand holmgren is being brought in to fix this club and if holmgen or his GM just cannot see mangini fitting into their plans i have no qualms with starting over yet again ,if so hopefully for the last time...;)

I know others think it's a slam dunk that Holmgren is keeping Mangini. Hey - if Lerner told him that's the price of a $10 million a year salary, then maybe.

Aside from that does anyone think Holmgren's the type of guy to put his reputation on the line coming here allow the potential for Lerner to claim credit if Mangini winds up having a good season or two?

Not me. Holmgren (according to Mike Lombardi at the National Football Post) is going to clean house - completely - including Mangini. That way if and when things get turned around Holmgren can claim 100% credit. I don't fault him for this... any GM worth having is going to want to bring in his own people so the team - and the credit - are fully "his".

My thoughts exactly. I think Lerner is following the footprint that Parcel has established. But, I don't feel that Holmgren is in Parcel's league. I do believe that Mangini will have a team playing in the superbowl sooner or later.

The Seattle brass never wanted him - but they do recognize that there are quite a few fans in Seattle who watned Holmgren back... hence Seattle made an "offer" that wasn't about to be accepted (they probably low balled him)... Holmgren gets to save face by making it seem like they wanted him, the Seahawks appease a portion of the fan base that wanted an offer made to Holmgren and everyone's happy (except maybe Mangini).

Now unless Holmgren wants to be perceived as caving in to the pressure and $10 million a season bribery from Lerner to keep Mangini, he'll be able to get a running start now that Mangini has sent a lot of the deadwood/problem children on their way. Holmgren doesn't have a perfect record in the draft and free agency, but very few do. At least the Browns won't have to worry about seeing the next Vernon Gholston being drafted.

I agree with those who think Holmgren as coach, GM, team president etc is too much.

I know others think it's a slam dunk that Holmgren is keeping Mangini. Hey - if Lerner told him that's the price of a $10 million a year salary, then maybe.

Aside from that does anyone think Holmgren's the type of guy to put his reputation on the line coming here allow the potential for Lerner to claim credit if Mangini winds up having a good season or two?

Not me. Holmgren (according to Mike Lombardi at the National Football Post) is going to clean house - completely - including Mangini. That way if and when things get turned around Holmgren can claim 100% credit. I don't fault him for this... any GM worth having is going to want to bring in his own people so the team - and the credit - are fully "his".

I really hope this isn't the case. It's these types of things that hold this franchise back right now in my opinion. The constant changing of coaches and schemes.

You can point at our record and the first half of the season all you want but to me this team is improving. It doesn't show in the W column right now but in my eyes they are getting better. I'd really hate to see the things we've built on this year get erased because one guy wants to have all the credit.

Archived