THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns win despite not having a QB

ATENEARS

After the win in Buffalo earlier this season, this forum's first two pages were filled with hate posts for Anderson. After back-to-back wins without a QB there are two threads about Quinn.

For that, we issue Brady Quinn the Tim Couch award.

As great it is to see us go grab a win and find a trio of Running backs, the reality is that we still need a QB.

other than the 2 ints and no TD passes, he completed some passes to keep the drives going so i can't completely trash him for his performance. given the final score, his small contributions help put them over the top. i like how he was able to find stuckey today. i know this is a real "glass half-full" assessment of his performance. since we didn't lose, i feel like i owe it to him. go browns. beat the raiders.

Browns win despite not having a coaching staff ,a defense or a QB ,hey when ya got cribbs and harrison ya dont need no stinkin quarterback and bad playcalling or having shit for a defense doesnt matter! ;)

The "coaching" part of that has no merit little boy. The coaching staff called the plays and the players executed them. Wins that are scraped out on the road have just as much to do with good coaching as they do with players. The first quarter was dominated by the Browns who ran the hurry up.....snapped the ball to avoid a challenge on Stuckey's catch...and STs that were awesome. The Browns are well-coached and playing hard, even if you can't admit it.

After the win in Buffalo earlier this season, this forum's first two pages were filled with hate posts for Anderson. After back-to-back wins without a QB there are two threads about Quinn.

As great it is to see us go grab a win and find a trio of Running backs, the reality is that we still need a QB.

I'm thinking we need to draft a qb in the third or fourth round. I like the way BQ manages the game...I like his ability to make the short throws....I like his decision making...but, I hate that he can't throw over 20 yarsd accurately. I will still take him over DA any time, but I seriously doubt that you can win many games with his lack of deep throwing abilty. Just think....if he would have connected on the long ball today. We would have looked kind of like a good team. Macdonald still sucks....there is no chance of defending deep passes...but the offense would have looked really good with a decent passer in there.

Ate you are pathetic. The thread should say "no passing attack" because there is more to that then the qb. I said it all year anderson sucks but is not AS bad as he played and quinn is not as bad as he is playing either. Do you want to know why? There are no freaking receivers!? You said it yourself in the momass thread and he is our number 1! Why do u think we don't throw our receivers can't even get open let alone catch even on a trick play with cribbs

Ate you are pathetic. The thread should say "no passing attack" because there is more to that then the qb. I said it all year anderson sucks but is not AS bad as he played and quinn is not as bad as he is playing either. Do you want to know why? There are no freaking receivers!? You said it yourself in the momass thread and he is our number 1! Why do u think we don't throw our receivers can't even get open let alone catch even on a trick play with cribbs

I think they're all responsible. DA, BQ; doesnt matter. 12 completions in 2 games is horrible. The two picks were awful.

Ha you have no clue. Please go back and watch the 2nd pick and try to tell me that ones on quinn.

He didn't see the corner coming from the right....he underthrew the ball and it ran out of gas. The corner closed and made the pick. Rich Gannon pointed it out as well.

He didn't see the corner coming from the right....he underthrew the ball and it ran out of gas. The corner closed and made the pick. Rich Gannon pointed it out as well.

That's was the first pick. Again, please know what you are talking about before posting. The first one sucked and was all quinn. The second one was on massoquoi. Now stfu

That's was the first pick. Again, please know what you are talking about before posting. The first one sucked and was all quinn. The second one was on massoquoi. Now stfu

STFU? Thanks. Very mature....are you a jerk for real or do you play one online? You should be ashamed of yourself.

It was not the first pick. The first pick was Quinn overthrowing (and throwing late mind you) Robiskie and it was picked by Carr. The second pick was in the third quarter and Flowers broke from the right side of the field and Quinn never saw him. Rich Gannon made it a point.

So, I DO know what I'm talking about. Now, be polite.

Earl is not right if massoquoi locates the ball and adjust like any nfl receiver would do it is either caught or broken up. Not picked. Noone is arguing the passing game is nonexistent however a lot of you fail to realize the real reason. However much quinn sucks our receivers are ten time worse. I would love for someone to name a team with worse wide receiver depth then we have

I hate to say it but you're right.

Quinn hasn't really done much with his opportunity. I just watched a very moderately paid Matt Moore of Carolina make completions vrs Minnesota that I know Quinn couldn't make right now regardless of excuses.

I just hope we don't burn our first pick on a QB next year though. That said, round 2 could be a different story if the kid from the Houston Cougars (Keenum) lands on our doorstep. The thought of the growing pains associated with putting more Pampers on the offense while a young QB that might or might not be our future isn't very appealing.

- Tom F.

We won, STFU. And it wasn't like the butt ugly win that DA had nothing to do with over the Bills. Quinn didn't go 2 fer 20. Bad picks? Sure- St. Brett Farve blew a game with an atrocious toss today too. Brady looks like a damn pro-bowler compared to leadfoot DA. & Mangini's actually letting BQ audible depending on what he sees (Harrison's 70 yard TD was a direct result of that) as opposed to the Big Doofus. You think Doofus is capable of making those big third down runs?

Is Quinn the long term answer? Probably not.

When you give up 490+ yards offense to a team like the Chiefs, replacing Quinn is pretty far down on the priority list.

McDonald can't cover or tackle anyone, and Wimbley was totally useless out there today.

Is Quinn the long term answer? Probably not.

When you give up 490+ yards offense to a team like the Chiefs, replacing Quinn is pretty far down on the priority list.

McDonald can't cover or tackle anyone, and Wimbley was totally useless out there today.

Hoorta, really glad to see you posting more.

A couple things:

1) At this time, we're playing ourselves out of any opportunity for Suh or Eric Berry and perhaps even C.J. Spiller. I'm one that likes instant usage of a high first round pick and RBs seem to be that best fit. Harrison is proving body weight has less to do with success than hitting the hole and maintaining good vision and leverage. The RB idea may not be as necessary as I originally thought and the other studs should go to teams higher up in the draft order. Not sure what the best available choice will be down at #5.

2) We've had an infinite # of injuries to our front 7 so we'll surrender yardage like anyone else going through that. 1 of KC's touchdowns came of a very rare bad snap from our All Pro Snapper. How's that for wording? Our D surrendered 27 points but made enough stops to make winning possible. I WILL add we were lucky the Chiefs had Robert Royal/Braylon Edwards disease on all those passes hitting their hands and chests. The Center for Disease Control needs to know how contagious that Dropsy Syndrome can be.

3) As much as I HATE the thought of drafting a freakin QB in round 1, if we can't find a suitable veteran QB coming available in free agency - we'll be in position to draft the best available prospect. Quinn isn't doing anything to enderar himself to us or any other teams for that matter. I was hoping he'd ace this oppportunity while the protections have been excellent, receivers have been open and even some cushions and loose zones were provided.

4) McDonald is hit or miss. I saw some pretty nice replays of him looking good vrs Pittsburgh. Then again, haven't I always maintained that if you can provide the type of pass rush necessary for success - even avergae corners can look impressive? I always use 2001 as my example when we got a Pro Bowl pass rush from Jamir and our average group of DBs led the conference in INTs. I think McDonald would work best as a #3 corner and it may just happen the day we bring in someone ready to be #1 or #2. He's the 2nd coming of Anthony Henry where he's not quite #2 material but he could work well as a #3 with a solid pass rush upfront.

- Tom F.

Tom I think the number of injuries may be a reason we're playing better.

If the rumors are true that some vets were disgruntled then the fact they've taken the ass end of the season off left openings for hungry young guys.

If that means he's starting to get his team together fine.

Mangini has them playing pretty well and I'll assume another year of NFL experience will make them all better next season.

Just like the young receivers will get more comfortable wit both their routs and learning to catch Quinns style of throwing.

A great receiver makes a QB a hell of a lot better.

I'd like to see the same happen to BQ. As he gets more playing time he'll (hopefully) grow into the position. We have time now.

I think teams need to grow together towards a window of opportunity.

And I realize that window won't be open forever, but this constant starting over isn't working.

(I'm just glad we got my boy Pork Chop.

If you recall I campaigned hard way back when B)

WSS

Harrison and Cribbs won this game. BQ sucked, plain and simple. His one run was his only highlight. I'm happy as hell we won, but our secondary sucks, still can't tackle. We need a lot of work, but I'll take the W.

Agreed he had a horrible game. But Daboll calls the play, Quinn calls what hole it's going to based on who is lined up on the DL, at linebacker, who is playing well etc. I know it's a glass is half full statement, but it's true.

The issue is with the turn overs.

Quinn posted terrible numbers, did not play anything close to his best game.

That said, the Chiefs' announcers...that's the opposing team...said that Quinn was doing the things that did not show up in the boxscore.

His ability to adjust at the line of scrimmage is pretty impressive.

He had not just one key run (the long one). He also took another run for a first down on third and short.

The two INTs suck, and the poor yards per attempt are something this team has to work on, no doubt. But don't pretend Quinn did NOTHING to help the team win. The offense was rolling toward the end of the game, thanks to a fantastic running game, but also to a legit West Coast passing attack.

Archived