THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns win despite not having a QB

ATENEARS

but also to a legit West Coast passing attack.

:wacko:

If you take that snippet of the post, you miss the qualifier. "Toward the end of the game..." I have in mind particularly the final three drives for Cleveland. The lone incompletion Quinn threw was a drop in the backfield.

From up 27-24 in the 3rd quarter, here is what happened:

1st-10, CLE21 5:18 J. Harrison rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

2nd-4, CLE27 4:34 B. Quinn incomplete pass to the left

3rd-4, CLE27 4:28 B. Quinn passed to E. Moore down the middle for 7 yard gain

1st-10, CLE34 3:53 J. Harrison rushed to the right for 9 yard gain

2nd-1, CLE43 3:15 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain

1st-10, CLE46 2:34 C. Jennings rushed up the middle for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, CLE48 1:49 B. Quinn passed to C. Stuckey to the left for 8 yard gain

1st-10, KC44 1:14 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain

2nd-6, KC40 0:31 B. Quinn passed to C. Stuckey to the left for 10 yard gain

1st-10, KC30 15:00 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 4 yard gain

2nd-6, KC26 14:25 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 5 yard gain

3rd-1, KC21 13:41 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for no gain

4th-1, KC21 12:58 B. Quinn rushed up the middle for 13 yard gain

1st-8, KC8 12:09 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 8 yard touchdown. P. Dawson made PAT

--10 rushes, 53 yards; 3-4 passing, 25 yards; TD

1st-10, CLE39 8:06 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 14 yard gain

1st-10, KC47 7:21 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 6 yard gain

2nd-4, KC41 6:38 J. Harrison rushed to the left for 5 yard gain

1st-10, KC36 5:53 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 2 yard gain

2nd-8, KC34 5:08 C. Jennings rushed to the left for 5 yard gain

3rd-3, KC29 4:44 CLE committed 5 yard penalty

3rd-8, KC34 4:40 J. Cribbs incomplete pass to the left

4th-8, KC34 4:26 P. Dawson missed a 52-yard field goal

--5 rushes, 32 yards; 0-1 passing, 0 yard; Missed FG

1st-10, CLE30 2:14 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 5 yard gain

2nd-5, CLE35 2:00 J. Harrison rushed to the left for 4 yard gain

3rd-1, CLE39 1:19 B. Quinn rushed to the right for 24 yard gain

1st-10, KC37 1:13 J. Harrison rushed up the middle for 3 yard gain

2nd-7, KC34 1:01 J. Harrison rushed to the left for 6 yard gain

3rd-1, KC28 0:44 J. Harrison rushed to the right for 28 yard touchdown. P. Dawson made PAT

--6 rushes, 70 yards; TD

Cleveland controlled the ball for 13 of the final 20 minutes, scored 14 points, missed a FG or might've put points on the board from all those drives. That's legit. And that's what the west coast offense does.

Agreed he had a horrible game. But Daboll calls the play, Quinn calls what hole it's going to based on who is lined up on the DL, at linebacker, who is playing well etc. I know it's a glass is half full statement, but it's true.

The issue is with the turn overs.

Kosar,

I like alot of what you say. I'm gonna use your reply as a springboard to add some things not necessarily directed at you.

Folks, we can't blame Daboll's playcall when Quinn overthrows a wideopen receiver enjoying a 15 yard cushion on the left third of the field of the field. Quinn actually hit that deepest defender right between the double digits on the chest. Everytime Quinn sucks - there's a huge group of guys chomping at the bits to pin it all on the OC as if Quinn had zero to do with any of it. I REALLY think alot of this is a coping mechanism on our part because the thought of drafting another young, inexperienced QB and throwing diapers on the offense seems depressing. Just remember, the NEW coaches didn't create the absurdity of not knowing what we had in Quinn heading into this season. That was done by the previous staff while we were on our way to not making the playoffs anyway. Our NEW OC is a rookie OC but i think he'd do fine if he had more weapons to attack with. Remember the concept of playing chess with just pawns vrs a loaded opponent. It's not fair right? Are we improving? I gotta be honest - HAIL yes!

If our OC is as bad as he's accused of - answer me HOW we beat Buffalo on a day DA is 2 of 17 throwing the ball?

I'll tell you how - we grinded it out between the tackles on a day the opponent KNEW we could only move the chains runnign the ball. One network showed 8 passes dropped vrs Buffalo. Inspite of it all, we won the time of possession battle big because our oline dominated Buffalo's front 7. Also worth noting: our punt team seeming pinned them inside their own 5-10 yard line more times than I've ever seen in 1 game. I think the issue on scoring TDs that day had more to do with Jamal's inability to turn daylight into TDs as opposed to the playcalling.

- Tom F. (I'd probably starve to death if I was in sales)

I've noticed a pattern when talking to Browns fans. Almost everyone has an opinion on who's fault the losses are, just depending on who they like/dislike. I am a Browns fan. I've been once since I was 10. I grew up with them, and over the years, I've learned something. As a Browns fan, you should never go into a game expecting a win and be happy if you have at least a close game.

Try and look at it this way: If you're expecting a kick in the balls, but you get a slap in the face instead, it's still a win.

This doesn't have anything to do with DA. He's not the answer either. The fact is that we have two quarterbacks that are mediocre at best. =/

Then again, one QB has had a LOT more opportunity and playing time than the other. I will still hold my judgement until Quinn has had equal playing time and then lets see if your statement holds true. JMHO B)

We won, STFU. And it wasn't like the butt ugly win that DA had nothing to do with over the Bills. Quinn didn't go 2 fer 20. Bad picks? Sure- St. Brett Farve blew a game with an atrocious toss today too. Brady looks like a damn pro-bowler compared to leadfoot DA. & Mangini's actually letting BQ audible depending on what he sees (Harrison's 70 yard TD was a direct result of that) as opposed to the Big Doofus. You think Doofus is capable of making those big third down runs?

Is Quinn the long term answer? Probably not.

When you give up 490+ yards offense to a team like the Chiefs, replacing Quinn is pretty far down on the priority list.

McDonald can't cover or tackle anyone, and Wimbley was totally useless out there today.

Give Quinn and the receivers one more year to develop. I for one do not want to waste a relatively high pic on "another" QB. We will see how this turns out with the new people that are inserted as the powers that be. ;)

He had not just one key run (the long one). He also took another run for a first down on third and short.

his 24 yard run was crucial.....certainly helped on the scoring drive late

not up to what jc and harrison accomplished but still important for victory

Archived