THE BROWNS BOARD

Who do you want as head coach of the Cleveland Browns next season?

Lenin

If Mike Holmgren takes a job in the front office, which appears all but official, Eric Mangini's firing is likely inevitable. Thank God. That being said, who do you want to be the Browns coach next season.

I know he has only been there a year, but I think this is a case where you have to fire the coach after one season. Eric Mangini has mishandled his stint in Cleveland worse than anyone in NFL history, in my opinion. The guy is an absolute train wreck.

Holmgren has had TONS of success as a head coach, but I don't really like coaches having so much control in the front office. Because of that, I don't really want Holmgren as both the coach and "czar."

Although Dallas has had their late season struggles at times recently and underperformed in general, I love Jason Garrett. I think he will be a phenomenal coach when he gets the chance. However, I don't know if I want to go the coordinator rout. Personally, though, I would get him if he'd come.

Obviously, if a guy like Cowher were to be available, I would get him in a heartbeat. I don't know about him working with Holmgren, though. Would be interesting. I'm pretty sure Cowher would want lots of personnel control. I highly doubt Jeff Fisher will get fired now, so that takes his name out, too.

Laugh all you want, but I wouldn't mind seeing Schottenheimer get another shot in Cleveland.

Thoughts on these and other candidates? Who is on your wish list?

If Mike Holmgren takes a job in the front office, which appears all but official, Eric Mangini's firing is likely inevitable. Thank God. That being said, who do you want to be the Browns coach next season.

I know he has only been there a year, but I think this is a case where you have to fire the coach after one season. Eric Mangini has mishandled his stint in Cleveland worse than anyone in NFL history, in my opinion. The guy is an absolute train wreck.

Holmgren has had TONS of success as a head coach, but I don't really like coaches having so much control in the front office. Because of that, I don't really want Holmgren as both the coach and "czar."

Although Dallas has had their late season struggles at times recently and underperformed in general, I love Jason Garrett. I think he will be a phenomenal coach when he gets the chance. However, I don't know if I want to go the coordinator rout. Personally, though, I would get him if he'd come.

Obviously, if a guy like Cowher were to be available, I would get him in a heartbeat. I don't know about him working with Holmgren, though. Would be interesting. I'm pretty sure Cowher would want lots of personnel control. I highly doubt Jeff Fisher will get fired now, so that takes his name out, too.

Laugh all you want, but I wouldn't mind seeing Schottenheimer get another shot in Cleveland.

How is Mike Holmgren being hired an absolute end to Eric Mangini? That's a stretch.

Jason Garrett? Absolutely not. Dallas fans complain about him like we complain about Daboll. No thanks. This team doesn't need a rookie head coach.

My vote is to keep EM one more year. I think that if you look at them they ARE in fact linked through Andy Reid with whom they are both supposedly close. I don't see their co-existence being impossible.

I'm all for giving Mangini an extra year. It's obvious he's eliminated a lot of sloppy play in the fact that the team isn't racking up penalty yards. That says discipline to me. This year the team is going through a huge amount of change, I expect a poor record. Next year look for some improvement. If there's no improvement, then maybe it's time to jettison him, but for now Lerner should stick with the plan that was presented when he hired Mangini.

Does it occur to anyone that Holmgren may be happy to have Mangini as his coach? I still don't understand now that every "scandal" the media tried to put on Mangini has been debunked, some fans still think he has done a bad job or that he has mishamdled anything? the only problems I see with this team is the QBs and DBs are aweful. You fix those two areas, and you are loking at a very solid team. Give him another year, let him adress those two areas and see where he takes us. Players like him, most fans like him, and guess what? Holmgren likes him. Get used to seeing him. I know it gotta be tough to have a good coach for this team but suck it up and let the guy continue fixing this heap of shit the Lerner's mishandled. That's what he's doing and it is working.

Ahh Mr Ten Posts..stop trying to make a name for yourself by bringing up the Mangini thing..its lame..Cowher..give me a break..Mangini is showing all of Cleveland nation his plan is working.a lot faster then I thought it would comsidering the pile of horses**t he took over when he got here..Stop listening to ass clowns like lombardi or florio or Mary Kay..they know nothing..most people here know that..there are exceptions.

I would rather have chucky but since gruden isnt available i would just as soon keep mangini. there really isnt any other coach that stands out as "better" than mangini in my mind ,however if the walrus does come and fires mangini finding that he doesnt fit into the plan im good to go with that but i would be curious as to who he would bring in...

Daboll has to go regardless imo..mangini's offensive system is weak and broke and it goes far beyond the players into the plays we run...plus a human sacrifice must be made to appease the angry fans and football gods and dumbo is perfect...seriously genie sucks at offense as can be proven in his jets firing alone and we need an offensive minded {creative/innovative} OC that can get it done..i expect this much out of holmgren since genie wont fire his puppet understudy himself..;)

I would rather have chucky but since gruden isnt available i would just as soon keep mangini. there really isnt any other coach that stands out as "better" than mangini however if the walrus does come and fires mangini finding that he doesnt fit into the plan im good to go with that but i would be curious as to who he would bring in...

Daboll has to go regardless imo..mangini's offensive system is weak and broke and it goes far beyond the players into the plays we run...plus a human sacrifice must be made to appease the angry fans and football gods and dumbo is perfect...seriously genie sucks at offense as can be proven in his jets firing alone and we need an offensive minded OC that can get it done..i expect this much out of holmgren since genie wont fire his dense dunce understudy himself..;)

You know Gips....it must be nice to fire your OC during the season. It's not like they can install another offense on the fly. Last year, the Jets had the top running attack in the AFC. This isn't necessarily "Mangini can't coach offense". I'm not saying that changes aren't needed but you can't fire an OC mid-season especially when we're seeing better performances the second half of the year.

Funny how all of a sudden two wins in a row get people back on the side of Mangini, the issue is whether he is the coach of the Browns for the long haul or he isn't, if he isn't why bother keeping him around? If Cribbs/Harrision don't set records today (against an awful KC team) would people still support him?

I would rather have chucky but since gruden isnt available i would just as soon keep mangini. there really isnt any other coach that stands out as "better" than mangini in my mind ,however if the walrus does come and fires mangini finding that he doesnt fit into the plan im good to go with that but i would be curious as to who he would bring in...

Daboll has to go regardless imo..mangini's offensive system is weak and broke and it goes far beyond the players into the plays we run...plus a human sacrifice must be made to appease the angry fans and football gods and dumbo is perfect...seriously genie sucks at offense as can be proven in his jets firing alone and we need an offensive minded {creative/innovative} OC that can get it done..i expect this much out of holmgren since genie wont fire his puppet understudy himself..;)

Exactly.....I would rather have Gruden as HC, but if that's not possible, keep Mangini....for at least another season.

Funny how all of a sudden two wins in a row get people back on the side of Mangini, the issue is whether he is the coach of the Browns for the long haul or he isn't, if he isn't why bother keeping him around? If Cribbs/Harrision don't set records today (against an awful KC team) would people still support him?

your kinda new, so you get a pass on this....

it not just the 2 wins that have changed everyones mind. we've seen almost a whole body of work at this point of the season.....and to save myself typing, i'll just say that this team is leaps and bounds better than anything romeo ever had on the table.

better playmakers? surely not....

better fundamentals? damn right......smarter, faster, hungrier, and probably most important when trying a bottom up rebuild....cheaper.

i look at where we started this season.....a group of over-paid underachievers that constantly let us down.....many times, heartbreakers. we were cap hell because of savage trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and leaving us with 4 picks after trading up for boy wonder....

where are we today? we have the same product on the field, record-wise, while paying millions upon millions less the worthless players (many of whom, haven't found a spot on a roster wuth anyone). This means we have some cap next year to sign a few 'quality' vets to help these young guys....rather than throw money at dropwards hoping he somehow learns to catch. so instead, we bring in young guys that showed promise but lacked experience, found a couple quality players in the process (good thing we now have some cap, eh?), and started the development of those draft picks. there is no substitute for gameday snaps....

yeah....the trade down. anyone wanna talk shit about Mack now? i understand it not a sexy pick, but neither was JT.....if you can get a solid OL prospect that low in the draft, you'd be an idiot not too. you can survive with mediocre skill players and a good offensive line.....look no further than the steelers to see how good your skill players need to be to get by with a poor offensive line. if we can manage a good RT in this draft, we have the OL for the ages.....jmo

with....11 picks upcoming....thats no accident.

mangini is working the 23-53 roster spots first.......thats how you build a team for the long term. ask parcells and the fins....

then there's beating the steelers......i'll only say this: not only was it statistically impossible to win, we won by being physical and beating up a team with alot of talent.....that doesn't happen without coaching. it just doesn't.....the players, while they must execute the plan, are given the plan by the coaches.

what we have seen is steady improvement....and when you see this with the off-the-street guys and cast-aways that comprise a majority of our team, it simply shows that mangini may have the right idea here. the positive improvement and great positioning for next year is something that has earned his right to coach next year.

I've taken a 'wait and see' attitude regarding Mangini from the start and I've spoken in his favor prior to this. It should be no surprise that I think he should stay. I like the progress I've seen and he's shown that he has a plan and is sticking to it. I like that he had the courage and clear vision to show Edwards the door. I like that he has the players working hard. Every time I hear him talk, I'm impressed. I'm all in favor of keeping the guy around.

Mangini no question..Minus K2,BE,JL, this offense is more productive the last 3 games then all of last year with BQ completing ony 12 freakin passes in 2 games ..well 14.. 2 were to guys in red jerseys..This is called excellent coaching people..JH had to sit because he was an unwilling pass blocker..think it helped him..hell yeah it did..Robo 2 tackles on ST's..he's learning you have to contributor somewhere beside your position..Mangini grabs Matt Roth and the freaking dude is a BEAST (he should stay just for that)..If they even consider a change at Coach this franchise is f**ked

Archived