THE BROWNS BOARD

Troy Smith for QB

CJ12

He wants to play here, it would sell tickets cause ... he is a hometown boy.

Didn't we just go through this with Frye and Quinn? They are local .... so what.

I don't care if the quarterback is a Mexican wetback, if he's a winner in Cleveland seats will be filled. Easily.

Good stories don't fill seats ... good teams do.

Zombo

why waste time with troy smith, you guys will just try and run him outta town if he doesn't become an NFL superstar within his first 4-5 games. unless of course if he has a massive arm and tends to throw 2-3 picks every game, then people will want him to stick around for a couple years.

The Browns should give him a shot. He wants to play here, it would sell tickets cause he is a former Ohio State players, and he is a hometown boy.

+- Strong arm, mobility which could help.

-- Short.

GREAT idea! Beleieve it or not< I was actually thinkign about this on my drive into work today so this is really ironic. He was actually my favorite Qb in that draft. Worth mentioning, if he didn't get a serious throat infection in the 2008 preseason - Harbaugh was gushign over his camp and indicated he was the starting QB slated for the opener.

In short, I would LOVE to see us add Troy Smith and I think he could be had for garage sale prices. After watching Quinn in his 3rd year - I think it would be a GREAT move.

The guy had 1 bad game in college and everyone made it the rule instead of the exception to it. His last 2 years QBing at Ohio State were my favorite years. When he went John Elway on Michigan both times it was a thing of beauty. Winners win. Nobody really pegged Drew Brees or Tom Brady for stardom. One wasn't proto-typically tall while the other was the 2nd most popular QB on his college team to some kid called a freshman sensation.

- Tom F.

chad henne looks a millions times better than quinn

Ron Jaworski is in love with Henne. From your personal observations, what is it that you like about Chad?

He has a Heisman lol mm?

LOL, yeah and so was Eric Crouch....and Gino Torreta...and Charlie Ward...and Andre Ware....and Danny Wuerffel... and .... shall I continue?

Troy Smith is a potential starter..... in the CFL or UFL. :lol:

Take off the scarlet and grey glasses...yeesh.

Quinn set the TD/INT ratio record for FBS (was broken this year). He was a better college QB, projected to a better NFL QB, and no scouts ever doubted that.

Trodgers,

Good point about the stats. He had some good highlights too. The trouble with that is we don't play Army, Navy, Air Force, Stanford, Michigan State and all those other teams you can get stat fat with. It seemed like he laid eggs against Bowl opponents and the real teams on the schedule. This might be why there were mixed reviews with the scouts or Quinn doesn't slide all the way into the 20s of round 1 and to a team that already made the 3rd selection overall. The same guy that drafted Kyle Boller and Charlie Frye was the taker. FWIW, Savage also felt starting his gig out with Trent Dilfer as leadoff QB, Frye on deck and the battle of DA & BQ in the hole did just that. Mangini had to dig to China to get us out of the Savage hole. Thank God Phil didn't trade up to get the QB he really wanted: Dumbarcus Russell.

Troy has some degree of experience and Harbaugh wanted to start the kid in 2008 before he lost almost 20 pounds to a freaky throat infection. I'd like to see the battle of Troy here. Pretty spirals doesn't win football games and ALL those Chicago fans that couldn't wait to replace a WINNER at QB are watching some of the best spirals ever delivered to the opposing jerseys. Meanwhile, Denver is a more legit contender in 09 than they were in 08 minus the Cutler millions. Winners win and I think Troy reminds me alot of Drew Brees with the non-proto-typical height but good vision. I saw alot of poise in him too. I swam against the grain and gave him 1 mulligan in college because he won most of their BIG games.

I hate the idea of training another inexperienced QB because it feels like we've spent a decade on hurry up and wait while we debate love or hate. There's been about 20,000 fire the OC and Head Coach threads since 1999.

- Tom F.

The Browns should give him a shot. He wants to play here, it would sell tickets cause he is a former Ohio State players, and he is a hometown boy.

+- Strong arm, mobility which could help.

-- Short.

How'd that other local boy work out!!! stinka-rooonie!!

Give me Tebow!!

No way. He is to short. Yeah he may have won the Heisman but he will never be a great Pro.

I'm not saying that Troy Smith is the answer for the Browns. But, I will say that the knock on Drew Brees was that he is too short...I don't think that you have a very good argument there!

Archived