THE BROWNS BOARD

Quick question

Elbamboozler

If the browns do finish off the season by winning out that would give them a 5-11 record. Since we went 4-12 last season would this season be considered a success with an improved record?

I believe so ... add in the phanton Quinn win in Detroit and this team could be said to have won 6 of their last 7 ... IF they win-out.

(San Diego got lucky)

If the browns do finish off the season by winning out that would give them a 5-11 record. Since we went 4-12 last season would this season be considered a success with an improved record?

Most people won't consider it a success, seeing as how our tail end of the schedule was so weak. Personally, I already see it as a success. Mangini turned a bad team full of prima donna's, disgruntled vets, and washed up fogeys into a slightly less bad team filled with rookies and free agents all fighting for a job. And we also managed to beat teams, albeit bad teams, with that group of rookies and free agents. He's building a foundation, whether or not people see it. The players are buying into the system. It's amazing how a couple wins changes how people look at things.

People are going to say "So what, we beat a bunch of bad teams, and a Steeler team decimated with injuries". To that I say, we're a bad team. We beat teams of equal and greater talent. That's a victory in my book.

Yeah they can say that we beat a terrible teams but still look at what we have. Umm we lost our #1 running back, we traded away our top reciever and Wimbley is the only healthy linebacker. Shaun Rodgers gone and Brodney Pool is done for the year. We picked up Matt Roth Evan More and we have Mike Furry as our safety who was our #2 receiver at the begining of the year. So with the wins we did get we did it with a crap load of people who weren't there at the begining of this season.

Yeah they can say that we beat a terrible teams but still look at what we have. Umm we lost our #1 running back, we traded away our top reciever and Wimbley is the only healthy linebacker. Shaun Rodgers gone and Brodney Pool is done for the year. We picked up Matt Roth Evan More and we have Mike Furry as our safety who was our #2 receiver at the begining of the year. So with the wins we did get we did it with a crap load of people who weren't there at the begining of this season.

Exactly. Injuries have killed us. The thing is, our team now may actually be better than the team we put on the field at the beginning of the season. Evan Moore has skills, and he's fighting every day for a roster spot. Matt Roth is probably going to start for us next year. The Mike Furrey experiment....well that was a little crazy. Kudos to him for learning a new position, but he's just not fast enough. Granted, it's not like we have another option. Trusnik is fighting for a roster spot everyday, same as Brian Schaefering, Ahtyba Rubin, Kaluka Maiava, David Veikune, Corey Williams, etc. These players have a reason to play hard, they have incentive. That's been missing from our team for quite some time.

Exactly. Injuries have killed us. The thing is, our team now may actually be better than the team we put on the field at the beginning of the season. Evan Moore has skills, and he's fighting every day for a roster spot. Matt Roth is probably going to start for us next year. The Mike Furrey experiment....well that was a little crazy. Kudos to him for learning a new position, but he's just not fast enough. Granted, it's not like we have another option. Trusnik is fighting for a roster spot everyday, same as Brian Schaefering, Ahtyba Rubin, Kaluka Maiava, David Veikune, Corey Williams, etc. These players have a reason to play hard, they have incentive. That's been missing from our team for quite some time.

Do you think Roth will be back next year? I'm loving him, but the bits I'm reading make me question if he'll be in Cleveland next year? Would love to have him here.

Do you think Roth will be back next year? I'm loving him, but the bits I'm reading make me question if he'll be in Cleveland next year? Would love to have him here.

I believe he will. I mean, he hasn't been playing insane football, but he's been solid. What have you read that says otherwise? I haven't been looking too much into his situation.

I think we will keep him. Hes been a solid tackler and lots of potential. I mean seriously have you seen any of his tackles broken yet I haven't. Also he not like an Andra Davis where he waits till they get 15yards dpwn the field and realizes I'm suppose to tackle him Roth gets their.

If you go by strictly by record to determine if a team has improved, this may be stepping out of the cone of expectation for the team. I feel that we are back at ground zero at this point. Before the 2nd win we, and I mean the Browns, were picking ourselves up out of the dirt/mud and wiping it from our eyes so to say. We are now just getting our feet back under us and preparing for a grueling off-season to make some headway for next year. Improvement will be shown with consistency on and off the field. I think we are seeing a huge off-the-field improvement between the players(id: locker room/interviews/etc). Now lets hope for that explosive running game to appear again next week along with some hopeful pass threat.

I took this season too seriously till about 3 weeks ago. I'm now back to the point that I just like to watch my Browns play their heart out each week, win or lose.

Yet I did love when the Browns beat the Steelers this year. I lived in Findlay for 7 years and moved to Bluffton in the past couple of years. I have worked in Findlay for the past 10 years. As you know, Rothlessburger grew up here. This town was a Browns town. Everywhere you drove was a Browns flag. And since he became a Steeler, the entire town flopped over to the Steelers. It was sickening. It was like at the end of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone when the Slitherin flags changed to Griffendor flags. It was nice to walk into a local establishment for lunch that has nothing but Rothlesburger signed stuff/pictures/balls/etc on that Friday wearing my Browns polo and Browns winter jacket. Man, the looks that I got where great :) Ok I'm off on a rant now...I'm out.

Archived