THE BROWNS BOARD

An open letter to Mike Holmgren

NW Ohio Brownie

Dear Mr. Holmgren,

On behalf of Browns Nation, I want to take this time to welcome you to the Browns family. You are now presiding over the most loyal and desperate fan base in the National Football League. That should tell you all you need to know about us. Mr. Holmgren, I don't want you to take any of this letter in a mean-spirited or demanding way. I want you instead to understand that this is how it is. This is where we are as a fan base. No more no less. So, without further ado, a few suggestions from a middle-aged Browns fan who was weaned on the Kardiac Kids.

1) Put away your Super Bowl ring. Don't want to see it, don't want to hear you talk about it. It means nothing to me. Nothing. In fact, I think I speak for everyone in Browns country when I say I'm sick of how many Super Bowl rings "the other guys" have. Mr. Holmgren, we have brought people in on every level of this organization with previous Super Bowl rings. From a team president in Carmen Policy to three different head coaches in Davis, Crennel, and Mangini. We have even sent a coach on his way to earn three Super Bowl rings in New England. But it's worse. You see, we saw our beloved team walk out of our lives nearly fifteen years ago, only to see them romance another city with a Super Bowl victory five years later. Even our owner, whom we believed in, acquired a ring from the whole sordid affair. In short, we're ready for a ring to be earned in this city, for this team, for this fan base.

2) I beg you to give Coach Mangini at least one more year to prove his worth. Despite what you may read in the papers and on the Internet, a great deal of Cleveland Browns fans can see the light at the end of the tunnel with Coach Mangini at the helm. For the first time since Coach Belichick was calling the shots, we have a disciplined football team that outworks its opponent and doesn't beat itself with mental mistakes. To that end, Year 1 has been a success regardless of the W-L record. Year 2 would continue that culture and bring with it more talent through your draft and free agent work. Coach Mangini has worked so hard to take on the job no one else wanted: to blow it up and start from scratch. He has removed the right guys from the roster, saved lots of money, and given you plenty to work with in the offseason in terms of draft picks and cap space. By doing this, he chose the long road that will lead to long-term success. He deserves to continue down that path.

3) We'll follow you into hell and back, Mr. Holmgren. Remember, we've been there a few times already. But after this trip, we don't want to go back. Ever. Bottom line, we just want to win. We want to win in Cleveland. We want to win in Pittsburgh. We want to win in January. We want to hug fellow Browns fans we've never met before. We want to cry when our team hoists that silver trophy someday, and we want non-Browns fans to wonder why we're tearing up. It's because this team and this city is in our blood, our history, our makeup. If you're not us, you wouldn't understand.

Thank you, Mr. Holmgren, for becoming part of the Cleveland Browns. We wish you the best and we are behind you all the way.

Respectfully,

NW Ohio Brownie

Dear Mr. Holmgren,

On behalf of Browns Nation, I want to take this time to welcome you to the Browns family. You are now presiding over the most loyal and desperate fan base in the National Football League. That should tell you all you need to know about us. Mr. Holmgren, I don't want you to take any of this letter in a mean-spirited or demanding way. I want you instead to understand that this is how it is. This is where we are as a fan base. No more no less. So, without further ado, a few suggestions from a middle-aged Browns fan who was weaned on the Kardiac Kids.

1) Put away your Super Bowl ring. Don't want to see it, don't want to hear you talk about it. It means nothing to me. Nothing. In fact, I think I speak for everyone in Browns country when I say I'm sick of how many Super Bowl rings "the other guys" have. Mr. Holmgren, we have brought people in on every level of this organization with previous Super Bowl rings. From a team president in Carmen Policy to three different head coaches in Davis, Crennel, and Mangini. We have even sent a coach on his way to earn three Super Bowl rings in New England. But it's worse. You see, we saw our beloved team walk out of our lives nearly fifteen years ago, only to see them romance another city with a Super Bowl victory five years later. Even our owner, whom we believed in, acquired a ring from the whole sordid affair. In short, we're ready for a ring to be earned in this city, for this team, for this fan base.

2) I beg you to give Coach Mangini at least one more year to prove his worth. Despite what you may read in the papers and on the Internet, a great deal of Cleveland Browns fans can see the light at the end of the tunnel with Coach Mangini at the helm. For the first time since Coach Belichick was calling the shots, we have a disciplined football team that outworks its opponent and doesn't beat itself with mental mistakes. To that end, Year 1 has been a success regardless of the W-L record. Year 2 would continue that culture and bring with it more talent through your draft and free agent work. Coach Mangini has worked so hard to take on the job no one else wanted: to blow it up and start from scratch. He has removed the right guys from the roster, saved lots of money, and given you plenty to work with in the offseason in terms of draft picks and cap space. By doing this, he chose the long road that will lead to long-term success. He deserves to continue down that path.

3) We'll follow you into hell and back, Mr. Holmgren. Remember, we've been there a few times already. But after this trip, we don't want to go back. Ever. Bottom line, we just want to win. We want to win in Cleveland. We want to win in Pittsburgh. We want to win in January. We want to hug fellow Browns fans we've never met before. We want to cry when our team hoists that silver trophy someday, and we want non-Browns fans to wonder why we're tearing up. It's because this team and this city is in our blood, our history, our makeup. If you're not us, you wouldn't understand.

Thank you, Mr. Holmgren, for becoming part of the Cleveland Browns. We wish you the best and we are behind you all the way.

Respectfully,

NW Ohio Brownie

I'd put it in writing and mail it if I were you. :)

Dear Mr. Walrus,

Welcome to the browns family ,I hope you will open the door and let the orphaned fans become an extended part of the family again...

We wish you all the luck in the world at turning our beloved browns around and its an honor to have you as our president..

Please see to it that our current wannabe OC is replaced immediately with a real and experienced OC...

thanks!

Archived