THE BROWNS BOARD

What if our schedule this season was reversed?

ATENEARS

If this seasons schedule would have been reversed, Mangini's fate would be sealed if we lost 11 of our last 12, with a lone ugly late season 6-3 win at Buffalo.

So, we knock off the Chiefs, tussel with the Lions, and catch a Steeler team with their pants down ... what if we then faced the Broncos, Ravens, Bengals twice, Packers & Chargers and a healthy Steeler team down the stretch? I doubt the outcomes would be any different than they were in September & October.

With that said and realized ... would we really be stepping back if Holmgren canned Mangini?

I like Mangini, I like what he's done. But you start dissecting this schedule and comparing us to mid to upper tiers of this league and we are not even close to competing still. I know that Mangini has had a lot of cleaning-house and did a find job of it and did a great job establishing role players and getting lower tier players to play hungry and fight hard ... but that is where we are at right now, which is different than being competitive with where we need to be.

Again, I would rather run with Mangini than bring in Holmgren, but what is done has been done and both are here right now with holmgren having the upper hand. Can both live together? My 8-ball says, "Not likely"

What if Quinn faced the Broncos, Ravens, Bengals twice, Packers & Chargers and a healthy Steeler team down the stretch?

If this seasons schedule would have been reversed, Mangini's fate would be sealed if we lost 11 of our last 12, with a lone ugly late season 6-3 win at Buffalo.

So, we knock off the Chiefs, tussel with the Lions, and catch a Steeler team with their pants down ... what if we then faced the Broncos, Ravens, Bengals twice, Packers & Chargers and a healthy Steeler team down the stretch? I doubt the outcomes would be any different than they were in September & October.

With that said and realized ... would we really be stepping back if Holmgren canned Mangini?

I like Mangini, I like what he's done. But you start dissecting this schedule and comparing us to mid to upper tiers of this league and we are not even close to competing still. I know that Mangini has had a lot of cleaning-house and did a find job of it and did a great job establishing role players and getting lower tier players to play hungry and fight hard ... but that is where we are at right now, which is different than being competitive with where we need to be.

Again, I would rather run with Mangini than bring in Holmgren, but what is done has been done and both are here right now with holmgren having the upper hand. Can both live together? My 8-ball says, "Not likely"

What if Quinn faced the Broncos, Ravens, Bengals twice, Packers & Chargers and a healthy Steeler team down the stretch?

You're right that Mangini would be gone if the schedule was reversed. But, the situation now is very different. With a few early wins then losing 11 of the last 12 games, the team would be showing signs of regression and giving up on Mangini. Quite the opposite is happening now. The team is still playing hard for Mangini despite an overflowing IR...despite a season with only 3 wins, and a chance at no better than 5...despite all the questions surrounding the team Pres., GM, future of the HC and OC and even the QB position. Mangini may not have done things the way most of us would have. But he has gotten results. There's a reason he is under contract as a HC in the NFL and we are not. I agree with you that Mangini should be here next year. And I also believe that he and Holmgren can co-exist in Cleveland...and that it will happen for at least one season. I think your 8-ball may prove to be busted.

If our schedule was reversed then by the by week if Mangini wins nothing then he will be gone. Remember it is not only the fact that

- We face the weaker team in the end

- Daboll must have matured a wee bit

- J. Lewis retired

helped us out, but also keep in mind that the presence of Roth and Trusnik and the reemergence of Vickers all helped us win towards the end.

Like anything in life..its not where you start , its where you finish

/agree ,

Losing mangini would be progress as opposed to a setback if holmgren's/GMs changes/system cant be properly administered by mangini or even if they have some conflicting views ,we would really be no closer to the playoffs either way so why start over again in a year if mangini doesnt fit , i say its best for the regime to get it right the first time and make sure everyone is on the same page from the start and if that means bringing in walrus people so be it and if it means mangini stays so be it lets just find/name the GM ,start the office pow wows and get er done!

After the holidays and after the president and mrs. holmgren get settled in of course...;)

Archived