THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren hiring not in violation of Rooney Rule

BrownIndian

Though questions have been raised about whether the Cleveland Browns disregarded the NFL’s Rooney Rule, Mike Holmgren’s hiring as team president does not violate the league’s policy.

Representatives of the Fritz Pollard Alliance reached out to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday night regarding Cleveland’s move and asked the commissioner to examine exactly how much control the former Super Bowl-winning coach will have on the team.

The rule specifies that teams must interview at least one minority candidate for a head coach or general manager-type position. The Fritz Pollard Alliance, which fought hard for the policy, was told by Goodell that Holmgren’s hiring does not fall under the rule because he is being named as someone above football operations.

In other words, Holmgren may hire a general manager or even a coach, but his day-to-day responsibilities will not involve personnel matters such as the NFL draft or free agency. Instead, he’ll oversee business matters like ticketing and marketing along the lines of Dick Cass with the Baltimore Ravens, Tod Leiweke of the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers’ Mark Murphy.

“We discussed it with the commissioner and his position is, as president, it’s all right for Cleveland to hire Holmgren without talking to a minority candidate,” said John Wooten, the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance. “We only asked the commissioner to make sure that’s the case. It can’t be like the Miami situation with [bill] Parcells, where he’s the vice president of football operations, but everybody knows he runs everything day-to-day.

“If Holmgren is there to hire a general manager, fine. Our position is we’d like them to then interview someone like Reggie McKenzie, Sheldon White, Marc Ross or [James Harris] for that job.”

McKenzie, White, Ross and Harris are all either current or former NFL personnel executives.

The upshot of the discussion is that the Fritz Pollard Alliance doesn’t want teams to get in the habit of using titles to get around the Rooney Rule.

“That’s our concern. This is a rule that the owners adopted 32-0. We want them to follow a rule they unanimously agreed to. That’s all,” Wooten said.

I think that if we are going to hire a minority that we hire Beyonce.

If you like it Put a (Super Bowl) Ring On it!

beyonce_knowles1.jpg

I think this picture is in the wrong thread. I'm surprised you or Zombo haven't started the "Holmgren should give us cheerleaders" thread.

My favorite part about the Rooney Rule is the Steelers hired Joey Galloway without giving a white player a chance at an interview.

Good point.

Does the rule apply to Jewish people? (Maybe having a Jewish owner would exempt us from that part of the rule)

Or how about Arabs, Indians, Orientals and Eskimos?

we have too many other holes that need to be filled first. :-/

I understand Jay-Z has already filled that hole.

Perhaps that is what the Browns need: A celebrity minority owner, like the Cavs have with Usher.

How about Lerner sell 1% of the Browns to LeBron James?

No rule against playing in the NBA and owning a small part of an NFL team, is there?

Considering that most teams have more minoritiy players then non minorities I dont think this should even be a issue in the NFL. It would be the same as making sure the NHL interviews a white man while saying nothing about interviewing a black man. Only in America can the minorities have there cake and eat it to.

Considering that most teams have more minoritiy players then non minorities I dont think this should even be a issue in the NFL. It would be the same as making sure the NHL interviews a white man while saying nothing about interviewing a black man. Only in America can the minorities have there cake and eat it to.

Thats my point. Shouldn't white people have a chance to play in a game thats mainly blacks? The point of interviewing atleast 1 minority for a coaching job is to make the head coach position more racially inegrated. Shouldn't they do the same for the reciever position? This rule seems to cator to minorities as there is no requirement to give an interview to a white person. In the NFL, white players are the minority, shouldn't they be given a fair chance?

I respect your opinion even less now. That is, if you can find a value less than zero. Can you respect an opinion with a negative value?

White people don't have to play sports or tap dance to make a living.

Just staying in the spirit of the way this thread has turned.

Yeah they just sit around the house naked in a bean bag chair eating cheetos. looking at pictures of uhhhh uhhhhh.........

beyonce-booty.jpg

Who is that chick??

She has a pretty face but her butt is way too big. Give it 10 years and she will just be know as thunderthighs.

Face it, women put weight on the bottom portion of their body as they age just as us men pack it on arounf the middle. I ended up with that, not started.

You start with that, you end up with a cellulite queen with 40lbs of butt that doesn't look all that great.

You young guys need to think ahead unless you plan on changing your squeeze every 10 years or so.

Oh....that is a serious comment.

Plan ahead is all i can tell you.

Though questions have been raised about whether the Cleveland Browns disregarded the NFL’s Rooney Rule, Mike Holmgren’s hiring as team president does not violate the league’s policy.

Representatives of the Fritz Pollard Alliance reached out to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday night regarding Cleveland’s move and asked the commissioner to examine exactly how much control the former Super Bowl-winning coach will have on the team.

The rule specifies that teams must interview at least one minority candidate for a head coach or general manager-type position. The Fritz Pollard Alliance, which fought hard for the policy, was told by Goodell that Holmgren’s hiring does not fall under the rule because he is being named as someone above football operations.

In other words, Holmgren may hire a general manager or even a coach, but his day-to-day responsibilities will not involve personnel matters such as the NFL draft or free agency. Instead, he’ll oversee business matters like ticketing and marketing along the lines of Dick Cass with the Baltimore Ravens, Tod Leiweke of the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers’ Mark Murphy.

“We discussed it with the commissioner and his position is, as president, it’s all right for Cleveland to hire Holmgren without talking to a minority candidate,” said John Wooten, the chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance. “We only asked the commissioner to make sure that’s the case. It can’t be like the Miami situation with [bill] Parcells, where he’s the vice president of football operations, but everybody knows he runs everything day-to-day.

What a FREAKIN Farce that Rooney Rule nonsense is. They're traditionally the shadiest operation going and the Rooney $ paid people to look away from SI casket counts in lieu of public taboo only. Am I the only one unsatisifed where the HGH doctor investigations ended up? An all expenses paid trips to the tropics for investigators while the NFL only want people to count Pittsburgh's cosmetic rings and Rooney Rule beneficiaries like Romeo Crennel. Yay!

Hey NFL - do you want to do the RIGHT thing and satisfy your gay Rooney Rule? End your freakin investigation by giving us Ozzie Newsome back. You didn't seem to mind what was right and wrong when you were looking at a stolen franchise market value in Baltimore.

I got your Rooney Rule right here! I equate the Rooneys with the mob types at church donating $ to the collections just days after waxing somebody. Who's kiddin who?

- Tom F.

Found this on the http://www.fpal.org/ website.

The mission statement of the Fritz Pollard Alliance is simple yet profound ‘promoting diversity and equality of job opportunity in the coaching, front office and scouting staffs of National Football League (“NFL”) teams.’ The FPA provides networking, mentoring and career development opportunities for minority candidates on NFL team staffs; encourages adoption of rules and practices by the NFL that foster diversity on team staffs; educates NFL team owners and managers regarding the availability of minority candidates for team staff positions; and advocates the hiring and promotion of minority candidates in NFL team staff hierarchy through public education and communication with team and league ownership and management

If you notice the first line doesn't mention anything about promoting diversity with the players. Just the higher positions. I wonder why that is? You would think ANY activist group these days would be kicked out of town if they didn't represent the rights of everyone. IF this were say a white group trying to promote diversity on the field they would be made out as racists and channel 8 would find some crazy hillbilly spewing nonsense to represent them and put him on at 6 so everyone can see how crazy he is.

White people don't have to play sports or tap dance to make a living.

- Thurston Howell

LOL! Thatta boy Ballpeen - who needs Jerry Springer? All we're missing are the lyrics to "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas"

Before anyone makes any premature judgements on our friend Ballpeen there's 1 thing you really need to know so you can be fair.

He's not prejudice, he hates everyone. Everyone except the white Vince Young at Florida. God bless ya!

- Tom F.

Plan ahead is all i can tell you.

Or, you can fall in love with a woman because of who she is rather than for how she looks. Just as I would hope SHE would love YOU for who you are rather than for how you look.

Hire anyone except white people.. they suck!

OK, hiring someone to suck usually implies the employment of the female of the species for that particular endeavour, though, in your case you may prefer the male.

In terms of race in that regard, I suggest being an equal opportunity employer.

Maybe get yourself one of each all at the same time. White, black, Asian, etc. Have a real rainbow romp!

LOL! Thatta boy Ballpeen - who needs Jerry Springer? All we're missing are the lyrics to "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas"

Before anyone makes any premature judgements on our friend Ballpeen there's 1 thing you really need to know so you can be fair.

He's not prejudice, he hates everyone. Everyone except the white Vince Young at Florida. God bless ya!

- Tom F.

Of course not. As I said, I posted in the spirit in which the tread had turned.

Follow on absurd comment with another.

Or, you can fall in love with a woman because of who she is rather than for how she looks. Just as I would hope SHE would love YOU for who you are rather than for how you look.

I agree Kathy, but lets face it, physical attraction plays a key role in the whole birds and bees thing.

It's rare you find a young couple where one of the two is considered attractive by any standard and the other is just plain unattractive, and when you do, it is usually a nice looking woman with a less than good looking man. Mostly because females do think along those lines more so then do males.

I am sure you have see the psychological testing where men and women rank the qualities they seek in a mate. Looks is never...or rarely the top quality for either....but in almost every case it ranks higher on the men's list than it does on the woman's, and women know this. It's why they spend months of their lifetime getting gussied up. They aren't doing that for them. They are doing it for the males they encounter, and men have their whole list of things they do to put their best foot forward for the females they encounter.

To me, I just chalk it up to the difference in the sexes. We are different creatures that think differently.

That doesn't mean one is right and the other wrong...it's how we think. It is what it is. No sense trying to change it because the DNA won't let that happen.

What a FREAKIN Farce that Rooney Rule nonsense is. They're traditionally the shadiest operation going and the Rooney $ paid people to look away from SI casket counts in lieu of public taboo only. Am I the only one unsatisifed where the HGH doctor investigations ended up? An all expenses paid trips to the tropics for investigators while the NFL only want people to count Pittsburgh's cosmetic rings and Rooney Rule beneficiaries like Romeo Crennel. Yay!

Hey NFL - do you want to do the RIGHT thing and satisfy your gay Rooney Rule? End your freakin investigation by giving us Ozzie Newsome back. You didn't seem to mind what was right and wrong when you were looking at a stolen franchise market value in Baltimore.

I got your Rooney Rule right here! I equate the Rooneys with the mob types at church donating $ to the collections just days after waxing somebody. Who's kiddin who?

- Tom F.

I tried to bail out Roid Monk's momma so I could have a supplier for HGH and she told me to "get loss white boy there's jus enuffs for da too of us."

So much for trying to be good dude..........

Please stop talking sense in a stupid man thread Kath!!!

Peens, if the gal looks like Beyonce or even her mom I could care less about a little extra poundage on the hips.

The most important part of the article is when they prove my theory on Holmgren's hire. They confirmed that he will be an office worker and not much else. He was hired to be Lerner so Lerner doesn't have to be. It looks like Mangini will still have control over who and what goes on each Sunday. At least according to this article.

The most important part of the article is when they prove my theory on Holmgren's hire. They confirmed that he will be an office worker and not much else. He was hired to be Lerner so Lerner doesn't have to be. It looks like Mangini will still have control over who and what goes on each Sunday. At least according to this article.

I don't know how you read all of that??

Holmgren is going to be a 'office worker" about as much as the CEO of a large corporation is simply a "office worker".

Holmgren is going to set the direction this team takes.

Archived