THE BROWNS BOARD

Charlie Weis to be offered job?

trodgers

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Br...resh-start.html

Lots of speculation in here, but it goes into the mindset of Holmgren and his quest to shape the team's identity.

the key figure in building the new Cleveland Browns will be Holmgren’s close friend and agent, Bob LaMonte, who has a stable of available coaches and executives he can place in Cleveland to help support Holmgren. LaMonte hit the trifecta with Holmgren taking this job. Now he’ll make a huge fee for doing Holmgren’s contract and will continue to make fees for each new employee hired since most will come from his stable. This will be a very Merry Christmas for LaMonte.

For example, LaMonte represents Charlie Weis, the former Notre Dame coach who once coached Brady Quinn.

So I can easily see Weis being involved with the coaching staff. But will Mangini want this? And will Weis want to work for Mangini, knowing it might be just a one-year job? But from my sources in the league, I hear that Weis will be given a chance to work in Cleveland. Whether he takes the job is another story.

There is very little doubt in my mind that lamonte's stable is going to play a huge part in holmgren's quest to bring the browns organization to a point of respectability and even back into contention for the division title..offering weis an OC position could make sense from BQs perspective or any number of WCO QBs for that matter and at least we would know if quinn can cut it or not in short order because he would get a fair shake in a system of square block fits square hole but does quinn have the motor skills to place it there?

I feel really good about "the big show" taking charge and have no doubt that lerner finally did something right to begin the turn around this franchise ,its city and fans so rightly deserve...first order of the day should be to give cribbs a lucrative contract! ;)

would you rather see Weis come in and lose Mangini?

or keep mangini and find another OC?

If the regime goes WCO mangini regardless of his shameless sales pitch to the regime will not be an adequate fit ,under this scenario i have no qualms with disposing of mangini with haste..

I also have no qualms if the regime buys into mangini's package and pushes forward but to be honest i just cant see that happening simply because a respectable guy like holmgren that has his own dreams ,vision and process on building a franchise now has full power to make it happen and will want to forge his own destiny and i cant honestly see mangini in any part of that picture...

or keep mangini and find another OC?

You know there is a lot that we don't know. I have been one of the worst Da'Balls supporters all season, but has been making some pretty good calls as of late (except the bomb pass from Cribbs on 3rd and 10 when they could of ran it and got 5 and a FG, I think that was a broken run, but I could be wrong).

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I say keep Mangini and Da'Balls and see what they can do with a good draft under their belt. I think the last games of the year will be telling also.

I guess if we knew more then Mangini, we wouldn't be sitting behind this keyboard.

I didn't get the sense that Weis would be offered anything other than an OC job (possibly a QB coach job, but I don't know how feasible that would be for either Weis or the Browns). As an OC, Weis would be good, as another poster said, for any WCO QB. But for the Cribbs fans, you should know that Weis is not opposed to the Wild Cat (I can't remember what the Irish called their version, but they ran it with Golden Tate--who has similar athleticism to Cribbs's). He has also produced some incredibly good WRs and very good offensive linemen in his time at ND. So, I think it would be a nice fit.

Door #2, Monty.

I'm still not a Mangini fan, but I agree that this team needs continuity. There's no denying that they've come together well over the last five games, and are really showing some promise for next season. You can't keep changing out key pieces and hope to keep building.

I should add that I don't think those are the only two options. Weis and Mangini, it seems, would be asked to work together.

Archived