THE BROWNS BOARD

What would you say to Holmgren?

kshutchins

In another thread, one of our members suggested we gather our comments and send them on to the Browns. I can't guarantee we'll send them on but we can't send them if we don't write them.

Given the chance, what would you say to Holmgren? Here's your chance. Post your remarks in this thread and we'll see if we can twist Stan's arm into sending them on. Please write these remarks as though someone other than just Browns Board aficionados will be reading them. If you're a skeptic, and don't believe anyone will read them or care, we don't need to know. Just don't write anything.

I'm pasting but I don't want to retype

KEEP MANGINI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mangini has handled this team perfectly. Considering what he inherited with personel, cap space, and an overall loser mentality, he has done an excellent job. He has taken on the toughest but most important tasks when building a franchise. Attitude, Identity, and Culture. Not only has he succeeded, but he is one of the very few coaches who would have the balls to do it. That has got to count for something. And I'm sure it does. Holmgren isn't stupid.

Players like Mangini They are starting to see what he has been preaching come to fruition. He now has a rag-tag group of role players fighting to the death. They have won 3 games in 3 different ways. Out-willed the Bills, Out-Scored the Chiefs, and Out-schemed the Steelers. That is a very clear indication that these players are listening to this coach and playing beyond their ability. Very similiar to the Patriots of a few years back, Every week they would have a different identity depending on the opponate and situation. Players were asked to be versatile and put the team first, and they did. Then, they were killing teams. Not only do you win more games that way but you build team chemistry that can almost never be broken. When you get 55 guys together on a football field that absolutely trust and understand eachother, you can beat anybody. That's what's happening here. No logical person would want to put a stop to that. I have to believe Holmgren is a logical person.

PS. How about some alternative uniforms? All Brown including helmet with the "B" football logo on the side. Grey facemasks. DO IT!

I'm just going to go ahead and paste what I wrote on another thread. This is a good idea, by the way.

Dear Mr. Holmgren,

On behalf of Browns Nation, I want to take this time to welcome you to the Browns family. You are now presiding over the most loyal and desperate fan base in the National Football League. That should tell you all you need to know about us. Mr. Holmgren, I don't want you to take any of this letter in a mean-spirited or demanding way. I want you instead to understand that this is how it is. This is where we are as a fan base. No more no less. So, without further ado, a few suggestions from a middle-aged Browns fan who was weaned on the Kardiac Kids.

1) Put away your Super Bowl ring. Don't want to see it, don't want to hear you talk about it. It means nothing to me. Nothing. In fact, I think I speak for everyone in Browns country when I say I'm sick of how many Super Bowl rings "the other guys" have. Mr. Holmgren, we have brought people in on every level of this organization with previous Super Bowl rings. From a team president in Carmen Policy to three different head coaches in Davis, Crennel, and Mangini. We have even sent a coach on his way to earn three Super Bowl rings in New England. But it's worse. You see, we saw our beloved team walk out of our lives nearly fifteen years ago, only to see them romance another city with a Super Bowl victory five years later. Even our owner, whom we believed in, acquired a ring from the whole sordid affair. In short, we're ready for a ring to be earned in this city, for this team, for this fan base.

2) I beg you to give Coach Mangini at least one more year to prove his worth. Despite what you may read in the papers and on the Internet, a great deal of Cleveland Browns fans can see the light at the end of the tunnel with Coach Mangini at the helm. For the first time since Coach Belichick was calling the shots, we have a disciplined football team that outworks its opponent and doesn't beat itself with mental mistakes. To that end, Year 1 has been a success regardless of the W-L record. Year 2 would continue that culture and bring with it more talent through your draft and free agent work. Coach Mangini has worked so hard to take on the job no one else wanted: to blow it up and start from scratch. He has removed the right guys from the roster, saved lots of money, and given you plenty to work with in the offseason in terms of draft picks and cap space. By doing this, he chose the long road that will lead to long-term success. He deserves to continue down that path.

3) We'll follow you into hell and back, Mr. Holmgren. Remember, we've been there a few times already. But after this trip, we don't want to go back. Ever. Bottom line, we just want to win. We want to win in Cleveland. We want to win in Pittsburgh. We want to win in January. We want to hug fellow Browns fans we've never met before. We want to cry when our team hoists that silver trophy someday, and we want non-Browns fans to wonder why we're tearing up. It's because this team and this city is in our blood, our history, our makeup. If you're not us, you wouldn't understand.

Thank you, Mr. Holmgren, for becoming part of the Cleveland Browns. We wish you the best and we are behind you all the way.

Respectfully,

NW Ohio Brownie

Dear Mr. Holmgren,

On behalf of all Browns fans, I would like to welcome you to the organization. Now that you're here, I would like to present to you this checklist of things to do in order to bring our organization back from the depths of the NFL cellar.

1). Demote Brian Daboll to janitor.

- He's made a mess of our offense, I think it's time for him to learn how to clean things up.

2). Buy earplugs.

- You're not going to want to hear what the fans have to say if all of your draft picks don't turn out to be perennial Pro Bowlers.

3). Do not fire Eric Mangini.

- He may not be the best coach in all the land, but he's built somewhat of a foundation. I'm curious to see what he does with it next year.

4). Buy a lightsaber.

- Why not? You're getting a ton of money.

5). Keep the Brown pants.

- They're fly.

6). Draft Tony Pike.

- That's pretty self-explanatory.

7). Bring in Charlie Weis.

- He knows the Erhardt-Perkins offense like he knows the lineup at a Golden Corral buffet table.

8). Keep The Big Robowski.

- He looks like The Dude. And his defense has been pretty successful, by Cleveland standards.

I had more things to add, but I'm hungry. So, that's all for now. Good luck!

Yours truly,

A Fan.

Guest 88fingerslewy

"Remember.......................................when you played with the Beatles?????????????.....................................

That was awesome."

Hey Mike.... couple things

Draft 2 ILB's so we can finally stop the run, Draft a corner and safety so we can stop the pass(and run) , go get dez bryant so we can score Td's and Please, Please , Please find us a franchise QB. that is all... a nice new shiny(young) Rt with the last 3rd rounder would be nice tooooo!

support for the brown pants, eh? might as well worship satan.

What's wrong with the brown pants? With the home jerseys, we look like walking turds. I get that. But with the away jerseys, they're not that bad. I have a thing against white jerseys and white pants, it just bothers me.

And I'm finding the connection between brown pants and Satan a little weak. Enlighten me?

Continue to build on the Thomas and Mack picks and get a RT. Then we will have a line we can work with. We are close to having the unit to NFL good or better....just get it done this year. Once we do that, everything else on O is going to perform better and we will be able to maintain the unit with sound lower round picks for the next few years before having to invest a high pick again.

High round offensive picks don't work if you surround them with bums on the offensive line. Get that right and all of a sudden those 4th round backs look pretty good. Even crap QB's begin to look better.

Build some identity on defense, and no better way to do that then to build your backer corp. We have had a bunch of pansies playing linebacker for too long.

And for God's sake, play a attacking style D. Forget this contain and control D that seems so popular. Allow Ryan...I hope we keep him...to play D the way his Daddy did...defense with a offensive mind set. At first you might give up big plays, but as we get better players, we will be in a position to just smother teams.

That's what i want. I don't want to just win. I want to smother opponents.

Wow, great thread LOL

Dear Mike,

This has been a terrible year for the Browns but the team seems to be executing better later in the season. The team is more disciplined than any browns team I can remember in recent history. Please give coach Mangini a chance to prove himself and keep an open mind to his staff's recommendations. I believe he can help the browns win a championship. You may personally favor a 4/3 defense but this defense has won multiple championships.

His staff knows the players well after a year to evaluate so use their opinions but be willing to have your own opinion also. I think they will know which weaknesses are a high priority.

Don't sacrifice the next five years to try and win next year. We want the holes filled but making the playoffs once is not what the fans here desire or deserve. Long term excellence (pats, steelers) is what most of us want with significant improvement shown next season.

Please try to fill as many holes as possible in free agency and draft bpa whenever possible.

Have fun, can't wait to see you and Mangini accepting the superbowl trophy

Brian

ps pay Josh

Dear Mike,

Congratulations for being the only person Randy wanted to talk to and hire! When you were a Head Coach in Green Bay and Seattle I was quite fond of your work. That said, I'm a little unsettled about your last GM gig. I'm hoping you find it much easier this time around without the coaching demands on your time plus the learning that goes with previous mistakes. There's alot of people really excited about you coming and I'd like to be.

I was wearing Cleveland Brown colors before I could complete sentences back in the 60s. Therefore, I have to ask you an enormous favor. PLEASE look at the body of work Mangini has established HERE. I mean really look at it from beginning to end and note each and every injury, roster change and game day lineup along with our steady improvement. Then, I hope you look at Mangini's record in NY when he had experienced and healthy, talented starting QBs.

Mangini's first day of employment began with the realization that our 4-12 team (fresh off a draft volume of 5 and 0 first day picks) had only 4 draft picks to its name for 2009. Even more significant was the reality that Savage left an irreversable impression on Winslow that the only acceptable solution was to let him go and consider how we can change the bad deck we were dealt on the draft picks thing. Both the QBs the last regime left him had ZERO of 31 other teams interested in their services and if they became available today - that wouldn't change.

I lived in Western, NY when a new Head Coach best known for bringing a Wing T Offense to Kansas City was struggling with a talented group of football players earning the nickname "Bickering Bills." The day they lost to our beloved Browns on the Clay Matthews INT at the goal line - became the day I learned how VALUABLE the right Front Office Boss can be on the success of an organization. Bill Polian met with the team shortly thereafter and held up the Headlines that read "Bickering Bills." He informed them the Bills were about to embark upon some great things; but one thing needed to change really quick. He gave them the old "right now we've got too many chiefs and not enough indians" speech with some fiery Irish Shakespeare. Then became the defining moment of clarification: "Marv Levy is the BOSS here and anyone that cannot live by that rule can leave right now." The next season, became the first of 4 consecutive Superbowl appearances and history was written. When I think of the type of front office leader I'd like to see - it's one that KNOWS what he has at Head Coach and makes it known to all the players that's who is in charge. Everything else just falls into place.

The OTHER part of that is Buffalo found 1 draft day gem after another from many colleges under the radar like: Andre Reed (Kutztown State), Mark Kelso (William and Mary), Steve Tasker (Northwestern), Jeff Wright (Central Missouri State), Don Beebe (Chadron State), House Ballard (Alabama A&M), Pete Metzlaars (Wabash State), Will Wohlford (Vanderbilt), Ray Bentley (Central Michigan), Phil Hansen (North Dakota State). They even found it in themselves to draft a little RB from Oklahoma State that nobody gave any first round love to by the name of Thurman Thomas.

Last but not least, IMO a good Head Coach shouldn't be so limited that he has to ONLY find offensive guys that will fit a WCO or defensive guys suited for 1 type of alignment. A good head coach should be seasoned enough to where he can look at a group of players and fit the system to them (not vice-versa). Teams that seem to stay limited to 1 scheme or 1 design only hurt themselves when all the unplanned injuries unfold. The reason I want Mangini to stay is because he passed the litmus test of mental toughness. When we lost key guys like Shaun Rogers, D'Qwell Jackson, Eric Barton, Rex Hadnot, Steve Heiden, Braylon Edwards, Jamal Lewis, Dave Zastudil and others - MANY other teams would have quit like our team did in 2008. On the contrary, Mangini had them competing better than ever. That is exactly the type of strong foundation I think you should consider very seriously before bringing a West Coast offensive mind where this is no Brett Favre, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, John Taylor, or Tom Rathman. I've seen a 3-4 in the 80s when this team could tackle extremely well and I've seen versions of the 3-4 in the new millineum where we looked like we were playing flag football. Mangini just beat our #1 rival Pittsburgh BECAUSE we were tackling them for the first time in the last 13 tries.

I think Eric Mangini has a better resume than Marv Levy had before the Bill Polian speech that defined his journey to 4 Superbowls. Like any Head Coach - Mangini could use a strong Supervisor with a great football mind to guide him the right way and surround him with winners. You do that here and we might rename Lake Erie after you. I wish you the best of luck in Cleveland!

As you were,

- Tom F.

In another thread, one of our members suggested we gather our comments and send them on to the Browns. I can't guarantee we'll send them on but we can't send them if we don't write them.

Given the chance, what would you say to Holmgren? Here's your chance. Post your remarks in this thread and we'll see if we can twist Stan's arm into sending them on. Please write these remarks as though someone other than just Browns Board aficionados will be reading them. If you're a skeptic, and don't believe anyone will read them or care, we don't need to know. Just don't write anything.

Kathy you are so cool..........woof ur sumtim.............I would say get a real qB and build the team on Offense skill positions first..............WHICH AMOUNTS TO WINNING.........and yes hire Joe from SF and his wrecker company to remove illegal cars from parking lots and yes indeed do a big time fax in to support this.........

that should work it did before

Archived