THE BROWNS BOARD

You know whats NOT funny?

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...e_harris_2.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Jerome Harrison had the third-best rushing performance in NFL history Sunday in Kansas City and didn't win the AFC offensive player of the week award.

The awared went to Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who passed for 503 yards and three touchdowns in a last-second win over Green Bay.

Harrison broke Jim Brown's franchise rushing record for a game with 286 yards on 34 attempts. He scored three touchdowns in the second half of the Browns' 41-34 win in Kansas City.

"I guess he needed to get to 300 to get that (award)," joked coach Eric Mangini.

Harrison was unfazed by the snub.

"He deserves it," he said of Roethlisberger. "He's a household name, won Super Bowls. Made a hell of a play to win the game. I'm not mad about it. I don't play for accolades anyway. I just play to win and have fun."

Yeah, but.

"I won't miss not one second of sleep over it," Harrison maintained.

Josh Cribbs -- the other Browns' record-setter in the Kansas City game -- did win the honor for AFC special teams player of the week.

Cribbs had kickoff returns for touchdowns of 100 and 103 yards.

It's the third time Cribbs has won the award in his career and the second this season.

CAn't say Ben didn't deserve it passing for 500 yards and the game winning TD with no time left.

So, what?

It's just another game, and an another day. Sure, sure, it's a team record. But what about Harrison? His name will forever be in the record books.

And xxxx the awards, they are just fo' show.

So, what?

It's just another game, and an another day. Sure, sure, it's a team record. But what about Harrison? His name will forever be in the record books.

Well his win kept his team in the playoff race.

Jerome's rushing record helped the Browns beat Kansas City.

Harrison has the third most rushing yard in a single game. Ben's performance has only been done twice before both by HOFers. Its unfornunate for Harrison that his legendary performance came on the week of an even better legendary performance.

I know AP has the single-game rushing record, and Harrison has third place. Isn't Jamal Lewis in second place? In an era of passing the 3 best single-game rushing performances have been done by current players, two of which play for the same team.

So, what?

These awards are rather pointless, but Ben's performance (500+ yards, 0 INTs, 3 TDs)has only been done twice before, both by HOFers. Plus Ben's 3rd td was a dramatic game winner with no time left, something the other two didn't do.

There are a few reasons Ben won it over Harrison:

1. The Steeler game was nationally televised, while the Brown's game was the least viewed out of all 4:15 games that day.

2. Ben's final TD was a dramatic game winner in one of the most exciting regular season game this year.

3. Like Harrison said, Ben is a Super Bowl winner and a household name.

4. Overall, fans are more interested in all that passing offers than handing a ball off.

5. Harrison's performance was against the Chiefs, Ben's was against a top 5 defense one of if not the best secondary.

At the very least they should have been Co-Offensive Players of the week.

It goes by who has the most votes so the only way that could happen is if they tied. Thats very unlikely and never happened before. But if the gave out a co-player of the week it wouldn't be fair to Ben as rightfully he was the winner. Although, I certianly wouldn't complain about the two winning a co-award as both were more than deserving of the award. These two players put up what will likely finish as by far the two best performances of the year.

Big Ben deserved it more plus we are still in the playoff hunt whereas the Browns aren't.

Big Ben also has two Super Bowl rings. nuff said on that!

You know how gay you sound when you call him Big Ben? The only thing he deserved was the tears on his team face that day we ruined there playoff hope's.

Harrison has the third most rushing yard in a single game. Ben's performance has only been done twice before both by HOFers. Its unfornunate for Harrison that his legendary performance came on the week of an even better legendary performance.

I know AP has the single-game rushing record, and Harrison has third place. Isn't Jamal Lewis in second place? In an era of passing the 3 best single-game rushing performances have been done by current players, two of which play for the same team.

Just a correction: BR's total of 503 yards is NOT only the third 500 yard game in history. Here are the players with 500 yard passing games:

Norm Van Brocklin 554

Warren Moon 527

Boomer Esiason 522

Dan Marino 521

Phil Simms 513

Drew Brees 510

Vince Ferragamo 509

Y.A. Tittle 505

Elvis Grbac 504

Ben Roethlisberger 503

And you are right about Lewis and Harrison, though Lewis is really no longer playing because he is on IR, and says he is retiring after this year.

Big Ben deserved it more plus we are still in the playoff hunt whereas the Browns aren't.

Big Ben also has two Super Bowl rings. nuff said on that!

What is "offensive player of the week" going to get BR or Harrison?: Dick.

And it ain't gonna get them no Super Bowl.

As for being in the playoff hunt....mathematically correct.

But it was mathematically possible for me to win the 170 million dollare MegaMillions jackpot when I bought a ticket.

I didn't win, and neither will Steelers make the playoffs.

Just a correction: BR's total of 503 yards is NOT only the third 500 yard game in history. Here are the players with 500 yard passing games:

Norm Van Brocklin 554

Warren Moon 527

Boomer Esiason 522

Dan Marino 521

Phil Simms 513

Drew Brees 510

Vince Ferragamo 509

Y.A. Tittle 505

Elvis Grbac 504

Ben Roethlisberger 503

And you are right about Lewis and Harrison, though Lewis is really no longer playing because he is on IR, and says he is retiring after this year.

Yes, I know Ben is the 10th player in league history with 500+ passing yards (and 9th player to win a game with 500+ passing yards) But 7 of the players on that list either threw less than 3 tds or threw a pick. When you factor in having thrown 3+ tds and not throwing a pick that list narrows down to Ben and HOFers Warren Moon and Y.A. Tittle.

Norm Van Brocklin 554

Warren Moon 527

Boomer Esiason 522

Dan Marino 521

Phil Simms 513

Drew Brees 510

Vince Ferragamo 509

Y.A. Tittle 505

Elvis Grbac 504

Ben Roethlisberger 503

Wow ... he almost reached Elvis Grbac status.

Zombo

--While Jerome obliterated a long-standing JIM BROWN mark...

we are still in the playoff hunt Mary. Please get a clue. you ruined nothing ok?

Yeah, the Steelfags are in the playoff hunt only if you consider the fact that they have to win both of their remaining games and the Broncos and Ravens have to both lose both of their remaining games while the Jaguars, Dolphins, and Jets ALL have to lose one of their remaining games to really be "in the playoff hunt." The Squeelers are in nothing, they don't control their own destiny, not even the officials on their payroll can them out now. It would be a miracle if the Steelfags somehow backed their way in.. please DO hold your breath waiting for the Squeeler's next playoff game, probably sometime in 2029.

Yeah, the Steelfags are in the playoff hunt only if you consider the fact that they have to win both of their remaining games and the Broncos and Ravens have to both lose both of their remaining games while the Jaguars, Dolphins, and Jets ALL have to lose one of their remaining games to really be "in the playoff hunt." The Squeelers are in nothing, they don't control their own destiny, not even the officials on their payroll can them out now. It would be a miracle if the Steelfags somehow backed their way in.. please DO hold your breath waiting for the Squeeler's next playoff game, probably sometime in 2029.

It actually a little easier than that. If we win out the Dolphins or Ravens won't keep us from the playoffs. The Broncos just need to lose one game becuase we own the tiebreaker. They play Philly. Jaguars need to lose a game and they play the Pats in NE. The Jets need to lose just one and they play both the Colts and the Bengals. By the end of the week the Steeler could very well be in the playoffs with control of their destiny.

I think the Browns nation wants a sniff of ben's Super Bowl rings... O where O where is the Browns lombardi trophies? aren't good enough? can't measure up? got sand kicked in your face as a kid?

1950, 1954, 1955, 1964, respectively. Granted, they weren't Lombardi trophies then, because Vince Lombardi was still alive. But still, ten years before you guys won your first. Judging by those dates, I believe we were the ones kicking the sand in the playground as kids.

As adults, on the other hand, we haven't had near as much success.

1950, 1954, 1955, 1964, respectively. Granted, they weren't Lombardi trophies then, because Vince Lombardi was still alive. But still, ten years before you guys won your first. Judging by those dates, I believe we were the ones kicking the sand in the playground as kids.

As adults, on the other hand, we haven't had near as much success.

oh yes I forgot about the cheesy championship days of the browns that don't measure up in today's NFL.

you forgot the AAFC backyard football games..LOL a seven team league...

oh yes I forgot about the cheesy championship days of the browns that don't measure up in today's NFL.

you forgot the AAFC backyard football games..LOL a seven team league...

I didn't count the AAFC Championships because they are just that- AAFC Championships. We're talking about NFL Championships. If the times were so "cheesy" when we won the titles, where were the Steelers? If they truly are God's greatest team, you'd think they would have been winning back then, too.

And, to tell you the truth, I'd take football in the 50's, 60's and 70's over football today any day of the week. Those were American football's glory days. You didn't have prima donna receivers running their mouths and showboating. You didn't have thug linebackers killing people or beating their stripper girlfriends. Men played football to play the game, they weren't getting paid millions of dollars. In the late 1950's, the average player was earning less than $6,000 per season. The Baltimore Colts were known for paying their players in free beer. It wasn't until 1970 that a league minimum was even established, and even then it was set at a mere $10,000.

But you can say what you want, your opinion matters very little in this board. And in the real world, for that matter. In 5 years, you'll just be a Saints fan anyway.

Yes, I know Ben is the 10th player in league history with 500+ passing yards (and 9th player to win a game with 500+ passing yards) But 7 of the players on that list either threw less than 3 tds or threw a pick. When you factor in having thrown 3+ tds and not throwing a pick that list narrows down to Ben and HOFers Warren Moon and Y.A. Tittle.

OK, well, you could dance on the head of a pin with a statistic like that if you want.

You know like in baseball you could probably come up with a stat somewhere where you could say that "the only people in history to accomplish this feat are Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron, and Coco Crisp" or some such foolishness.

To bad Elvis didn't throw as many tds and/or threw interceptions. :lol:

Did they both win the game? That is really all that counts.

So, Ben gets 500+ yards in a game, and wins. Brady Quinn got like 90 yards in the Browns win vs. the Steelers....a game far more significant to the Steelers than him getting those 500 yards vs. Green Bay.

Ask anyone: it was far more important for the Steelers to beat the Browns than to beat the Packers. That division/conference loss to the Browns was far more devastating than a loss to the Packers would have been.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to rub this in. I mean merely to remind you of the fact.

(By the way, did I tell you that the Steelers loss to the Browns was far more devastating to their playoff chances than a loss to the Packers would have been? Oh, I did remind you, OK)

I think the Browns nation wants a sniff of ben's Super Bowl rings... O where O where is the Browns lombardi trophies? aren't good enough? can't measure up? got sand kicked in your face as a kid?

We got 13 titles. Call us when you catch up...or have your great great grandchildren call our great great grandchildren.

Archived