THE BROWNS BOARD

Poinsettia Bowl: NFL Draft Prospect Watch

ATENEARS

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Poinsettia Bowl: NFL Draft Prospect Watch

By Justin Van Fulpen

Here are the following players to keep your eye for the 2010 NFL Draft in the Poinsettia Bowl.

Utah Utes:

OT Zane Beadles – Beadles has played left tackle since his sophomore season after moving from guard and has only missed one game due to injury. He is a good overall athlete who just needs to get stronger at the point of attack. Right now he looks like a 4th round pick. He could be asked to move to guard at the next level.

DE Koa Misi – Misi plays defensive end but is a player who could be a outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense and rush the passer in the NFL. Because he has good size at 6'2" and 263 pounds, and is a good overall athlete he should provide versatility to whatever team selects him. Right now Misi is likely a 5th round pick.

OLB Stevenson Sylvester – Sylvester has been some what of a disappointment this season. Many thought that he would have an outstanding season and increase his draft stock, but as of right now it has gone the other way. He has good size and is a good athlete, but the senior needs to make more plays. Currently, he holds a 7th round pick-to-undrafted rookie free-agent grade.

S Robert Johnson - Johnson has great size at 6-2 200 pounds and should run in the 4.5 rang at the NFL Combine. He has the ability to match up with tight ends and running backs and can even coverage wide receivers if he is asked to. He stock has been moving up, right now he has a 3rd-4th round grade for the 2010 NFL Draft, but that could change.

Other Players to Watch: WR David Reed, ILB Mike Wright

Stars of Tomorrow: OC Zane Taylor (JR), OG Caleb Schlauderaff (JR), CB Brandon Burton (SO)

California Golden Bears:

RB Jahvid Best – Best is a junior and will not play in this game because of a concussion and there are thoughts that he will still declare early for the NFL Draft. He could be a late first round pick if he does declare because of his speed and agility. We will keep you updated on his decision.

OT Mike Tepper – Tepper has played both right tackle and left tackle in his college career, but should play right tackle in the NFL. Last season missed the entire season with a pectoral injury. Currently, he looks to be a 7th round pick.

DT Tyson Alualu – Alualu is a very athletic defensive tackle who will fit in very nicely in a 4-3 defense in the NFL. He has very good quickness and uses that ability along with his pass rushing moves to get to the quarterback. He isn't just a pass rusher, capable of playing the run as well. Right now he has a 2nd round grade for the NFL Draft.

CB Syd'Quan Thompson – Thompson doesn’t have great size as a cornerback, but uses his speed and quickness to make up for his lack of size. He shows a good ability to play man to man coverage, but needs to get better in zone coverage. He should be drafted in the 2nd round in the NFL Draft.

Other Players to Watch: WR Verran Tucker, WR Nyan Boateng

Stars of Tomorrow: QB Kevin Riley (JR), ILB Mike Mohamed (JR), DE Cameron Jordan (JR), DT Derrick Hill (JR), CB Darian Hagan (JR), WR Marvin Jones (SO), RB Shane Vereen (SO), TE Anthony Miller (SO), OG Matt Summers-Gavin (FR), NG Kendrick Payne (FR)

In my view, Alualu's the main guy to watch in tonight's game. The 6'3", 295 pound end/tackle is a disruptive force on Cal's d-line. Despite lacking the ideal length you like to see in a 3-4 end, Alualu is strong enough at the point and athletic enough to play the position in the NFL. What stands out when you first watch him is how easily he sheds blocks and how often you spot him chasing down a play: he's got a great motor.

In addition, Alualu is explosive enough to be a penetrating one gap tackle. In fact, some think that he'd be best suited lining up as a three-technique in a 4-3. For that reason, he'd be a good fit for a defense possibly transitioning from a 3-4 to a hybrid defense or a pure 4-3. His versatility could prove valuable and prevent us from drafting square pegs for whatever defense the Walrus, a.k.a. the Round One, decides to install.

Here are some highlights of Alualu from the USC game earlier this year.

If he's watching, I bet Stan's falling in love with Robert Johnson.

Naa, I didn't get to see as much of the game as I would have liked. Between baseball practice and last minute shopping, by time I settled in to watch the game I just wasn't into it.

Hope I can catch a replay on the college network or something.

What did I miss?

The part of the game that I did see was the tail end of Utah putting up 27 unanswered points. Then Cal put together a good drive, hitting the TE down the middle. Utah had 8 in the box and was sending 7.

Then I was flipping back-n-forth between the Cavs game.

Robert Johnson had a couple bone-crushing, football-dislodging hits. He also deflected a pass that resulted in an interception, then got his hands on a pick of his own.

He was a real sledgehammer in the middle of the field tonight, which I know is something you've been looking for. I haven't watched a lot of him this year, but I'm going to go back now and check him out. He did show up a few times when I scouted Paul Kruger and Sean Smith last year.

Johnson will be part of what should be an excellent 2010 safety class. Rumor is that Texas rSoph safety Earl Thomas will be heading pro, which will make it even better.

Earl34, do you still have a thing against Thomas, or has his play this year convinced you that he's the real deal?

Robert Johnson had a couple bone-crushing, football-dislodging hits. He also deflected a pass that resulted in an interception, then got his hands on a pick of his own.

He was a real sledgehammer in the middle of the field tonight, which I know is something you've been looking for.

That's good news about Johnson. I didn't get to watch the game tonight but I'd love us to draft an impactful Safety especially where Johnson is currently projected to go. Thanks for the update Alo!

- Tom F.

He was a real sledgehammer in the middle of the field tonight, which I know is something you've been looking for. I haven't watched a lot of him this year, but I'm going to go back now and check him out. He did show up a few times when I scouted Paul Kruger and Sean Smith last year.

Johnson will be part of what should be an excellent 2010 safety class. Rumor is that Texas rSoph safety Earl Thomas will be heading pro, which will make it even better.

Earl34, do you still have a thing against Thomas, or has his play this year convinced you that he's the real deal?

When you have time to reference Johnson (and other safeties), please bounce your findings off me. I will look into him now as well.

Good stuff, kicking myself for missing the game now.

Archived