THE BROWNS BOARD

Urban Meyer resigns as Florida football coach

ATENEARS

Meyer resigns as Florida football coach

Chronicle News Services

Dec. 26, 2009, 5:52PM

Urban Meyer is stepping down as Florida's football coach, the school announced on its athletics Web site Saturday.

“I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program,” Meyer said in a statement. “I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.”

Meyer won two national championships at Florida, and his team will play in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day.

Weird story. Even weirder wording--he's ignored his health, so he needs to focus on his faith and family? I mean, it just doesn't add up--does he have something terminal? One would hope not.

There's just something "off" about the announcement--I hate being cynical, but a lot of these "hey, I've got to resign for health reasons" stories seem to be followed pretty quickly by divorce and/or taking over the Jaguars right after they fire Jack Del Rio and right before they make the monumental mistake of drafting Tim Tebow in the first round.

Dennis

Meyer resigns as Florida football coach

Chronicle News Services

Dec. 26, 2009, 5:52PM

Urban Meyer is stepping down as Florida's football coach, the school announced on its athletics Web site Saturday.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in a statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family."

Meyer won two national championships at Florida, and his team will play in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Day.

he wants to coach the Browns OSU is Tressel kingdom.................Browns is the home

From a Gator blog:

>>University of Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon that Florida Gators head coach Urban Meyer would be stepping down after coaching the team in the 2010 Sugar Bowl against the Cincinnati Bearcats. Meyer, 45, who was hospitalized with chest pains after the 2009 SEC Championship, has had concerns about his health for years. In 1998, while he was an assistant with the Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Meyer experienced head pains that led doctors to discover a non-life-threatening arachnoid cyst on his brain. Though it did not put him in immediate danger, the cyst could flare up because of stress – something that happened while he was head coach of the Utah Utes.

“I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program,” Meyer said in statement released to the press. “I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family. After consulting with my family, [university president] Dr. [bernie] Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.<<

So it might not be either a terminal illness or setting up a move to another job. Which, all things considered, could be the best outcome. Depending on what exactly happened to him after the SEC championship game--and there are conflicting versions out there as to whether or not he had a heart attack--his doctors and family might have convinced him to walk away before something happened that he couldn't come back from.

In any event, I hope that he's able to get past whatever health situations he's got going on. If he can come back--as long as it's not in the SEC--that's great. If not, it's hard to imagine going out with a better record for success over a short period of time than Meyer. Several BCS wins, a couple of championships, and enough money to not work again in his life if he so chooses. Not bad.

Dennis

Man, I can't find out anything at this point....I am pretty shocked to say the least....I hope the guy is ok.....you don't just walk away from a top 5 job like that.

On a selfish note, I wish he announced this before Charlie went to Louisville.

I bet we could get him back if we pushed.

Wow....

Let's see, Meyer is from my hometown and arch rival high school Ashtabula St. John who graduated 4 years ahead of me. Jeremy Foley is my aunt and uncle's neighbor in Gainesville, yet this is still a shock. I know the guy is a pretty devout Catholic and family man, so he may be using his actual brain as a guy getting out before he fries himself.

Most of these guys don't have the sense to do that, but given the perceived issues with his health it sounds like a pretty smart thing to me. What's wild is he looks about as healthy as I've ever seen a coach for 45 years old.

On a selfish note, I wish he announced this before Charlie went to Louisville.

I bet we could get him back if we pushed.

According to his contract (viewable here), he's got a $1 million buyout if he wants to leave before January 1, 2011. Now, I'm sure Florida has some boosters with deep pockets, so one never knows.

On a related note, I wonder what kind of buyout Dan Mullen has. Strong's ties to UF would make him the better candidate, IMO, but Mullen would give them a better chance of continuity if they want to keep running the spread.

Dennis

From a selfish angle, this would be pretty exciting if UT weren't turning over at QB, RB, most of the offensive line, and the best defender we've had in years.

To be honest...went to dinner and had a bottle of wine, and since being home have hit the Jack pretty good since finding this out....I'll have to consider all of that in the morning.

Let's see, Meyer is from my hometown and arch rival high school Ashtabula St. John who graduated 4 years ahead of me. Jeremy Foley is my aunt and uncle's neighbor in Gainesville, yet this is still a shock. I know the guy is a pretty devout Catholic and family man, so he may be using his actual brain as a guy getting out before he fries himself.

From what's now coming out on Sportscenter, that's what seems to be the case. Sounds kind of like a Dick Vermeil situation, and I think you're right--best to get out before you go crazy or develop serious health problems. My guess is that he'll take a couple of years off and come back somewhere, but you never know; maybe he'll think that he can't change his style enough to coach and enjoy life, or maybe he'll get an analyst's gig and be happy with that. Given his obvious intelligence and energy, I'm sure he'll be successful whatever he decides to do.

Dennis

Odds that Lane Kiffin makes some comment about Meyer at the Chicken Bowl: 75%. Odds that Tennessee's AD has to release a statement afterward that says that while UT fully supports its coach, his comments in no way reflect the sentiments of UT, the state of Tennessee, or other members of the Kiffin family: 73%.

Most of these guys don't have the sense to do that, but given the perceived issues with his health it sounds like a pretty smart thing to me. What's wild is he looks about as healthy as I've ever seen a coach for 45 years old.

IMO: Notre Dame is where the money is. I am sure there are some clauses in that contract that will give him a clean escape from florida, and on the plus side he will have to rebuild after this season and who is to say that he will ever beat Nick Saban.

IMO: Notre Dame is where the money is. I am sure there are some clauses in that contract that will give him a clean escape from florida, and on the plus side he will have to rebuild after this season and who is to say that he will ever beat Nick Saban.

he has already beaten Nick Saban.

I doubt he is quitting because he is fearful he won't be able to win again. While we will be a different team, the cupboard is hardly bare.

I take it at face value. The guy was experiencing chest pains, fatigue, and as some said about Vermile, probably just burning out.

I doubt he takes another job any time soon after leaving a top job claiming health issues.

It's reported that his heart tests have been fine. Nobody terminates a career for anxiety related chest pain. My guess is that he's going to the NFL in the near future.

To me that doesn't make sense. Why say you have health issues when you don't??

If you are going to lie, just say you are tired of the grind. It's easier to come back and say you had a change of heart over saying you are concerned for your health, then show up on a sideline somewhere.

As a Gator fan, i am still in a state of shock...almost unbelievable.

To me that doesn't make sense. Why say you have health issues when you don't??

If you are going to lie, just say you are tired of the grind. It's easier to come back and say you had a change of heart over saying you are concerned for your health, then show up on a sideline somewhere.

As a Gator fan, i am still in a state of shock...almost unbelievable.

I can imagine Ballpeen. I was in shock at the news.

We as fans don't always realize the demands that being a Head Coach on a prominent program has on the HUMAN side of things. For 1, there's a father that WANTS to see his kids grow up and have their dad their dad available to see their sporting events. For 2, somebody's genetic pre-wiring of health doesn't schedule it's timeliness of blood pressure and angina symptoms. When your ticker starts acting up - you're not thinking about Florida's winning tradition as much as you are thinking about your own health and how much time left you have to spend with your family.

I think this guy is a CLASS act that won at Bowling Green, went undefeated at FREAKIN Utah (and put that school on the map) and went to a school worried it would never find their next Steve Spurrier but gave them an upgrade if that's possible to fathom.

You can SEE this guys is as competitive as it gets. He's been the program to beat in arguably the best college football conference in this half of this decade. I'd be shocked if he traded all this away to go to the NFL. If you think he's got stress now - wait til he has some uncoachable Diva holding a salary cap hostage. The NFL is a compeltely different animal as Bobby Petrino found out when a pompous punk like DeAngelo Hall called him out for game plans and personnel movements in front of teamates almost weekly. Tell me that doesn't REMIND a Head Coach why he ENJOYED college football so much more. Kirk Ferentz, Pete Carroll, Bobby Petrino, Steve Spurrier, Dave Wannstedt, Nick Saban and even Butch Davis are all examples of being where their leadership is never questioned by a player making 5 times the annual cake. I think even the great Joe Gibbs learned the 2nd time around how much things have changed for Head Coaches today.

- Tom F.

There was a long story in Sporst Illustrated about him having headaches back at Utah and maybe even at BG that put him in the hospital a few times. After reading that story, I don't see this as a publicity stunt or a prologue to a move to the NFL...I think he's going to take a job with Florida and not coach anymore to avoid the stress.

Archived