THE BROWNS BOARD

Today's Bowl Game: Independence Game (Prospects to watch)

ATENEARS

Sporting News Today draft expert Russ Lande and his team of former NFL scouts take a look at some draft prospects playing in today's bowl game:

Independence Bowl: Georgia vs. Texas A&M

Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia. Before he was injured in the 2008 opener, Owens looked like he would be a high draft pick last spring. He missed the rest of last season and ended up with a medical redshirt. He is a strong, powerful player who can control the point of attack and has the athleticism to defeat blockers with quick, strong hands. Because his production tends to diminish at times, he needs to prove to NFL teams that he can play with a high level of intensity for an entire game.

Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia. Of Georgia's three prospects at defensive tackle, Atkins (6-1 1/8, 281) has been the most productive. But he is still trying to prove he has what it takes to make it in the NFL. He is undersized but has consistently overcome that with excellent technique, hand use and explosiveness. No one questions that he has the athleticism to shoot gaps and make plays in the backfield. But to convince teams he can be a starting tackle, he must prove he can be strong at the point of attack and consistently be a force against the inside run.

Kade Weston, DT, Georgia. Weston (6-4 ¾, 318) is a huge nose tackle who has started some games, but often is the team's third tackle. He has the size and strength teams love in a nose tackle and has virtually no body fat, which is surprising for such a big man. There is little doubt he has the ability to be a force at the point of attack by tying up blockers and slowing the inside run. However, he must prove he has the quickness and athleticism to make plays outside of a small area.

Darius Dewberry, OLB, Georgia. Dewberry (6-3, 240) is not an elite prospect but has the measurables and speed that attract attention from scouts. He also flashes the playmaking ability that teams look for. However, he must prove he has the strength to be effective when taking on blockers. He also must show he has the quickness and agility to move quickly through traffic to chase down plays in pursuit.

Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M.* Miller (6-3, 240) is reportedly considering coming out early, so NFL teams are trying to get a handle on him. He is a highly competitive player who gives a great effort on every snap and makes hard, violent hits. However, scouts want to see whether he has the speed and athleticism to be a starter in the NFL. He needs to really shine in these areas against Georgia.

Russ Lande should be shot for not mentioning Reshad Jones (S Georgia #9) or Rennie Curran (LB Georgia #35). They're underclassmen, but rumor has them both leaving for the NFL.

Jones is a long-limbed safety who's best in run support. He has the athleticism to be effective in coverage, but his instincts sometimes fail him.

Curran is an undersized linebacker (5'11", 225 lbs.) with very good instincts and special short area quickness. He'll be a good weakside linebacker in a 4-3.

Alo,

It is so tough to scout Safeties and Cornerbacks for that matter, by watching them on TV.

I believe I own Browns season tickets just to see the CB/Wr match-ups, or I look to see the safeties position at the snap and see how much ground the cover instinctively.

With that said, I'l try my best to key in on the Georgia safeties (Evans & Jones), Georgia's CB Prince Miller and A&M's CB Jordon Pugh. I just gott race home to miss the first 15-mins or so.

Is there a starter on Georgia Defense that ain't a prospect?

Three more to watch tonight:

GEORGIA PLAYERS:

#42 Justin Houston, DE, 4Jr Good athlete with great upside. Fires off the snap, fast off the edge and effective making plays from the backside. Offers growth potential and should only get better as he physically matures. Must keep his focus on the field and make football a priority.

#50 Darryl Gamble, OLB, 3Jr

Good athlete who covers a large amount of area on the field, making plays sideline-to-sideline. Effective in pursuit and also in coverage. Underrated and a real good prospect.

#23 Prince Miller, CB, 4Sr

Solid corner who could make a move up draft boards. Fundamentally sound and possesses good ball skills.

Just last-second cramming for the game.

On ESPN2

Your Cheat-Sheets for the night

TEXAS A&M

#40, Von Miller OLB

#63 Kevin Matthews C

#25 Jordan Pugh CB

#76 Michael Shumard G

GEORGIA

#9 Reshad Jones S

#42 Justin Houston DE

#50 Ddarryl Gamble OLB

#95 Jeff Owens DT

#35 Rennie Curran OLB

#56 Geno Atkins DT

#23 Prince Miller CB

#78 Josh Davis T

#51 Akeem Dent ILB

#91 Kade Weston DT

#49 Shaun Chapas FB

#3 Bryan Evans S

#97 Brandon Wood DT

Good additional info Alo.

I wish this game was on later though (kick-off at 5pm EST), getting home and wrestling the TV away from the kids and Hannah Montana might be difficult.

Maybe I'll get to catch the second half.

Seems like a good time to let them know that if the Stan Man doesn't get to watch his football game, Santa just might have to issue a toy recall.

Is there a starter on Georgia Defense that ain't a prospect?

Lots of talent on that D, but they massively underperformed as a unit this year (ranked 70th in the nation in points/game).

I guess that's why they fired their defensive coordinator.

Lots of talent on that D, but they massively underperformed as a unit this year (ranked 70th in the nation in points/game).

I guess that's why they fired their defensive coordinator.

I agree...they have some good players who for whatever reason couldn't put it together, though they did tonight against a non SEC opponent.

I like the Dawgs...right behind the Gators and the Tide.

I would hope we have a scout at these games. Georgia, and to a lesser degree A&M are NFL player producers.

It's a rare year when Georgia doesn't produce at least 2-3 good NFL players.

Reshad Jones had a pick and a big hit in yesterday's game, but he also dropped two would be picks and showed zero hustle on a TD run he could have stopped. Overall, I thought it was a disappointing day for the Georgia safety.

Jones reminds me of Kerry Rhodes: he's got the tools to be a very good player, but I'm not sure he cares enough to be a consistently effective player. He's expected to leave early for the NFL, but I'd probably be too scared to take him in the 2nd round: he's a boom or bust type.

Reshad Jones had a pick and a big hit in yesterday's game, but he also dropped two would be picks and showed zero hustle on a TD run he could have stopped. Overall, I thought it was a disappointing day for the Georgia safety.

Jones reminds me of Kerry Rhodes: he's got the tools to be a very good player, but I'm not sure he cares enough to be a consistently effective player. He's expected to leave early for the NFL, but I'd probably be too scared to take him in the 2nd round: he's a boom or bust type.

It seemed like the Bulldog secondary dropped at least a half dozen.

The bowl game was over-shadowed by an excellent Monday Night Football game. Hope all had a chance to stay up for that showcase game.

Archived