THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Holmgren's 5 pm conference call

SJ_Browns

Holmgren: Browns players "clearly responding" to Mangini. Will meet with him next week, then make decision about Mangini's future.

Holmgren said he doesn't like the quick hook, both with coaches (good for Mangini) and quarterbacks (bad for Mangini - what he did w/ Quinn)

Said he took job because of the challenge of building a once proud franchise. Spoke very highly of our fanbase and says he understands our frustration. Said he will work closely with whomever their coach is. Said he will meet with mangini next week.

Holmgren: Browns players "clearly responding" to Mangini. Will meet with him next week, then make decision about Mangini's future.

Holmgren said he doesn't like the quick hook, both with coaches (good for Mangini) and quarterbacks (bad for Mangini - what he did w/ Quinn)

I think it'll be easy for Holmgren to control the QB hook if he's otherwise satisfied with the Coach. I'm sure Holmgren will be asking Mangini to explain his decision-making process. I seem to remember Mangini (during pre-season) saying HE didn't believe in a quick hook for the QBs. Hence the surprise when he did yank Quinn.

He said based off of his conversations with randy that randy really wants the browns to do well and that he doesn't want to let him down. He said blowing the team up isn't necessary, that there is talent here. He also said randy is one of the reasons he took the job.

So far we've learned:

-5 year contract

-Possibly giving Mangini a second chance

-Definitely hiring a new GM

-possible GM candidate Reggie McKenzie

-Possible but not probable complete turnaround in 2010

-Impressed with DA's performance against the Seahawks in 2007

-Seems a bit unaware of Brady Quinn's performace in his NFL career.

-Can't make any roster moves or personnel moves until after last game of the regular season

Fill me in on the rest. I got kicked off the TV.

He also said randy is one of the reasons he took the job.

50 million dollars is another reason he took the job.

LOL some BQ Homo asks about Quinn. Holmgren deflects, says he can't say what he thinks because he hasn't seen him in the NFL.

Translation: "He sucks balls"

Holmgren said he does not believe in the one man rule, he has the final say but it should be a collective decision as far as things like who makes the 53 man roster and things like that. He does not seem to believe in the dictatorship mentality. He says that has learned from his mistakes with seattle.

He will meet with mangini monday and then he will meet with the media on tuesday for his official presser. He really hasn't seen any of bq's games in the nfl and that mangini has sent him game film for both qbs so that he can evaluate them properly.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

As said in the conference call, Holmgren was very impressed with Anderson in 2007 when he played against him with Seattle. Enter the new QB controversy.

He will meet with mangini monday and then he will meet with the media on tuesday for his official presser. He really hasn't seen any of bq's games in the nfl and that mangini has sent him game film for both qbs so that he can evaluate them properly.

I sure hope DA's fluke 2007 season doesn't sway his judgment.

As said in the conference call, Holmgren was very impressed with Anderson in 2007 when he played against him with Seattle. Enter the new QB controversy.

You are making something out of nothing. He will not judge da on one game. Holmgren said that mangini has sent him film on both qbs so he can look at the entire body of work and not just one game.

If Holmgren picks up DA's 7 or 9 million option, whatever it is, he should be one and done as czar. If DA stays he needs to understand his market value and get paid like the back up he would be on any other team.

Please, please no more QB controversy!!!

I'm sure holmgren will see the complete da melt down of the 2nd half that 2007 season as well and his 08 and 09 games. He will also have all of the game film on bq. Holmgren is a qb maker, he is the right man to get our qb situation together.

It sounds like Mangini will have to agree to give up full control of the 53 man roster. I think most GMs will work with the coach to almost always be in agreement because who understands what each player is capable of more than the coaches who see them practice every day.

I can see control of the roster occasionally being a problem when looking at short term value versus long term value. Keeping an older vet who doesn't have longer term potential might help you for a little while but prevents you from keeping a player who can become very good. Someone like Benard LB comes to mind. We could have brought in a bunch of over the hill vets and never would have known that Benard could become a very good player.

Another possible issue is if Holmgren wants Dabol replaced. Dabol has said that he would love to sit down and talk offense with Holmgren so maybe he can learn from Mike.

Sorry man...not to sound like a Anderson guy.....you don't fluke in to that.

You fluke in to a decent season....not a great season.

The Walrus said, which I find kick ass "rest be assured, I am have the final say on everything". Or something like that.

He is going to....and as he said it won't be a dictatorship....as a former coach he knows a coach wants certain guys on the squad who bring something that doesn't always show up on film.

Mangini or whoever ends up coaching isn't going to be void of voice.

This isn't like the manager at the local Burger King telling the grill man how many burgers to start cooking.

Sorry man...not to sound like a Anderson guy.....you don't fluke in to that.

You fluke in to a decent season....not a great season.

He had a good season, sure. But so did the 3 other AFC QB's ahead of him on the Pro Bowl roster. It's not like he was the only one.

I am not saying he was the only one. I said what I said....you don't fluke in to that...and it was better than a good season.

Just say it....it was a great season.

In baseball, if you hit 50 dingers, that isn't a fluke. You may never do it again, but you have the ability, and in sports, that goes a long way....and that's what this boils down to....projectability.

Neither does it time after time, so you have to guess who is going to do best.

He is going to....and as he said it won't be a dictatorship....as a former coach he knows a coach wants certain guys on the squad who bring something that doesn't always show up on film.

Mangini or whoever ends up coaching isn't going to be void of voice.

This isn't like the manager at the local Burger King telling the grill man how many burgers to start cooking.

He said its his job to convince the coach of his ideas. He also said he will basically be a tie breaker in the war room.

Archived