THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Holmgren's 5 pm conference call

SJ_Browns

I am not saying he was the only one. I said what I said....you don't fluke in to that...and it was better than a good season.

Just say it....it was a great season.

In baseball, if you hit 50 dingers, that isn't a fluke. You may never do it again, but you have the ability, and in sports, that goes a long way....and that's what this boils down to....projectability.

Neither does it time after time, so you have to guess who is going to do best.

Everybody has the ability, or else they wouldn't be in the NFL. Do you think the NFL is filled with average joes? All QB's might not have the same skill set, but more or less the players are drafted by people who have seen what they can do, and believe the system in place fits with the QB. More than anything, being a successful QB in the NFL comes down to two things. Intelligence and confidence. BQ has the intelligence, and DA has the confidence. They both have the physical skills to put together massive seasons, a la DA's 2007 season. It was a great season, I won't deny him that. It was fan-motherxxxxing-tastic, and I loved every minute of it. But he hasn't been able to re-create it, and BQ hasn't been able to even get a start on one. It's a battle between a "has-been" and a "never-was" right now. I'm not sure which one I'd rather have.

The irony of the situation is that if we could combine BQ and DA, we'd easily have a perennial Pro Bowler. They are two complete opposites; each one possesses a skill that the other lacks.

did anyone else notice that when referring to the head coaching position, he always said "the coach" and never mentioned eric mangini by name? is this foreshadowing at all? it should be interesting to see how this plays out.

The fact that Lerner once again stayed away from the game, keeping his distance from Mangini, might also indicate that Holmgren has given his "boss" an indication of which way he's leaning.

Just an observation.

He said its his job to convince the coach of his ideas. He also said he will basically be a tie breaker in the war room.

I agree.

You always have to have a tie breaker, but that doesn't mean you go in to every meeting determined things are going to go exactly your way.

People do work together. It isn't always about ego.

Good leaders tend to be good listeners.

Large corporations don't have a myriad of vice presidents for no reason. The reason is CEO's want input from people who's opinion they respect, even if it differs from theirs.

If Holmgren picks up DA's 7 or 9 million option, whatever it is, he should be one and done as czar. If DA stays he needs to understand his market value and get paid like the back up he would be on any other team.

Please, please no more QB controversy!!!

Holmgren can look at the season, inquire about the plays with coaching staff, ask them their opinion... and ignore it all or take their advice. If for some reason they all come to the conclusion that DA is worth keeping for a year or two and moving BQ, it wouldn't surprise me if the contract was reworked to where he was paid like a highly paid 2nd teamer next year with potential for larger figures in '11 and '12 than his current contract gives if he's still with the team...

Nothing is written in the stone.

I am not saying he was the only one. I said what I said....you don't fluke in to that...and it was better than a good season.

Just say it....it was a great season.

In baseball, if you hit 50 dingers, that isn't a fluke. You may never do it again, but you have the ability, and in sports, that goes a long way....and that's what this boils down to....projectability.

Neither does it time after time, so you have to guess who is going to do best.

'Peen it was a "pretty good season". DA didn't crack the magic 4,000 yard barrier, and his completion rate- 56%, (mediocre) and qb rating 82 are just "good".

Let's compare that to the season Drew Brees is having- 4,400 yards (with a game to play) 70+% completion rate, and 110 qb rating. That thar be a true "great" season. :)

'Peen it was a "pretty good season". DA didn't crack the magic 4,000 yard barrier, and his completion rate- 56%, (mediocre) and qb rating 82 are just "good".

Let's compare that to the season Drew Brees is having- 4,400 yards (with a game to play) 70+% completion rate, and 110 qb rating. That thar be a true "great" season. :)

Fair enough, but now we are debating the definition of great v good...the point is if you could hand the fans the numbers DA put up and said here are the numbers your guy is going to produce next season, I don't think many would say that isn't very good and would look to pass.

It doesn't really matter any longer. Before next season starts, one or both of our current QBs will be gone....both I hope ....but if I had to keep one, it would be Anderson....but now we are back to the beginning again... :huh:

Sure sounded like Holmgren is a DA fan. If Mangini is leaning DA's way, he very much could remain here next year.

Quinn had a big game against the Lions, they may have room on their roster.

Sounds like he hasn't made up his mind yet and wants to take his time to review the situation. And we should all hope that he has this type of patience.

It's not about DA or Quinn. It's about the long-term future of our franchise.

He is going to....and as he said it won't be a dictatorship....as a former coach he knows a coach wants certain guys on the squad who bring something that doesn't always show up on film.

Mangini or whoever ends up coaching isn't going to be void of voice.

This isn't like the manager at the local Burger King telling the grill man how many burgers to start cooking.

True.

But trust this, The Walrus will be quality checking those burgers.

Archived