THE BROWNS BOARD

Ryan's defense

Canton Mike

Maybe I'm naive, but I am PLEASED!

1) 37 sacks as opposed to 17 last year (FAR more aggressive play!)

2) As stated in another post, far better tackling & fewer penalties

Those are just a couple things I have noticed.

IMHO, while we would like more, if we can add a shutdown corner & a playmaking safety, we rise SIGNIFICANTLY in defense ranking in the NFL. Sure, we can use players elsewhere on D, but those 2 spots COULD be filled this postseason & would make a big difference combined with our improved pressure on opposing QBs.

Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Just my opinion & observations (I am no expert...just a fan who cares).

Mike

Yes, we have more sacks... but our D is still bottom of the leauge. We still get shredded by QB's, not matter who it is.. two worst examples being a rookie stafford for almost 500 yards, and frye last week for 333.. i'm sorry, but that is inexcusable. I don't have numbers to back it up (mainly because I'm to lazy to get the stat), but I feel our run D has slightly improved, but our pass D is just as bad, if not worse than last year.. Yes, we have more sacks, but far few interceptions than previous years. Our D did not produce hardly enough turnovers this year. I almost feel like our D in recent weeks has played just like the past... bend but don't break (minus kc, they pretty much were broke all game). I'm not sure if they have a stat for this, but I feel a great defensive stat would be 3 and outs.... I'm still right on the fence with Ryan... he looks the part, but I just don't know if he plays the part.. I mean, what did he really do in Oakland??? Go Browns

As far as season stats go and our team being ranked the lowest in many categories, I don't think that it all falls on them. How many games earlier this season was our defense on the field for over 40 minutes of the game? That'll lead to some skewed stats, and it's more the offense sucking it up than the defense.

I like what ryan has done with this defense as well...you live or die by the blitz ,when you have the right people you win with it but ,when you have total shit at both starting safeties and 1 crap CB in mcdonald and one mediocre CB in wright..you die with the blitz more than winning with it..ryan has done a very good job with what he has and honestly thats not something that can be said about the other side of the ball..

I like what ryan has done with this defense as well...you live or die by the blitz ,when you have the right people you win with it but ,when you have total shit at both starting safeties and 1 crap CB in mcdonald and one mediocre CB in wright..you die with the blitz more than winning with it..ryan has done a very good job with what he has and honestly thats not something that can be said about the other side of the ball..

Thanks..That's the point I tried to make. With our blitzing, if we had a shutdown corner & a playmaking safety we would have MUCH better defensive stats. Just two positions would make a HUGE difference.

Mike

Maybe I'm naive, but I am PLEASED!

1) 37 sacks as opposed to 17 last year (FAR more aggressive play!)

2) As stated in another post, far better tackling & fewer penalties

Those are just a couple things I have noticed.

IMHO, while we would like more, if we can add a shutdown corner & a playmaking safety, we rise SIGNIFICANTLY in defense ranking in the NFL. Sure, we can use players elsewhere on D, but those 2 spots COULD be filled this postseason & would make a big difference combined with our improved pressure on opposing QBs.

Stats don't always tell the whole story.

Just my opinion & observations (I am no expert...just a fan who cares).

Mike

Agree, hope the new boss keeps him. ;)

Yes, we have more sacks... but our D is still bottom of the leauge. We still get shredded by QB's, not matter who it is.. two worst examples being a rookie stafford for almost 500 yards, and frye last week for 333.. i'm sorry, but that is inexcusable. I don't have numbers to back it up (mainly because I'm to lazy to get the stat), but I feel our run D has slightly improved, but our pass D is just as bad, if not worse than last year.. Yes, we have more sacks, but far few interceptions than previous years. Our D did not produce hardly enough turnovers this year. I almost feel like our D in recent weeks has played just like the past... bend but don't break (minus kc, they pretty much were broke all game). I'm not sure if they have a stat for this, but I feel a great defensive stat would be 3 and outs.... I'm still right on the fence with Ryan... he looks the part, but I just don't know if he plays the part.. I mean, what did he really do in Oakland??? Go Browns

Did you see what happend against Pittsburgh? Did you like it? Do you know why it worked? Because our crap CBs had help from the wind. It allowed the CBs to man up and the front 7 to go crazy. Solution? One shutdown corner or ball hawking safety. Get one, and we re better than most. Get both, and we're in the top 10 in every category.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Good stat. While I am pro-Ryan, I would like to know what the ratio of interceptions is this season compared to last. I know we have not had that many this season with so many blitzes and last season we had a bunch in Romeo's bend but don't break. Either way, we need more playmakers.

Did you see what happend against Pittsburgh? Did you like it? Do you know why it worked? Because our crap CBs had help from the wind. It allowed the CBs to man up and the front 7 to go crazy. Solution? One shutdown corner or ball hawking safety. Get one, and we re better than most. Get both, and we're in the top 10 in every category.

So your saying pissburgh lost because it was windy? Did the wind stop everytime we had the ball or something? Im pretty sure both teams played in the same conditions and the better team prevailed that day. Im pretty sure mother nature didn't say "well, I want Cleveland to win so ill stop with the whole wind thing everytime they're offense come out on the field".

We are 32nd in defense, and the Jets are #1 ... that is Ryan's defense, ours is Mangini's.

Mangini's defense was was #16 with the jets last year, then he took all of the mediocre players off that defense and brought them to Cleveland and now they are #1 with Ryan (Rex).

Zombo

Good stat. While I am pro-Ryan, I would like to know what the ratio of interceptions is this season compared to last. I know we have not had that many this season with so many blitzes and last season we had a bunch in Romeo's bend but don't break. Either way, we need more playmakers.

9 this season, compared to last years 23.

So your saying pissburgh lost because it was windy? Did the wind stop everytime we had the ball or something? Im pretty sure both teams played in the same conditions and the better team prevailed that day. Im pretty sure mother nature didn't say "well, I want Cleveland to win so ill stop with the whole wind thing everytime they're offense come out on the field".

No, I'm pretty sure mother nature doesn't talk. We're talking about the defense here. We were able to man up because when it's that windy there is no real passing threat. So, you can leave your CBs on an island; even our bad ones. Because of that, the front 7 can get exotic because clogging throwing lanes is no longer necessary. So, you get 8 sacks and a win. Thus, proving that Ryan's defense is very good when we can play man. Which we cannot do often until we can get a shutdown corner or a threat at safety. And if you don't understand how playing man helps the front seven than you are not allowd to comment on coaching.

We are 32nd in defense, and the Jets are #1 ... that is Ryan's defense, ours is Mangini's.

Mangini's defense was was #16 with the jets last year, then he took all of the mediocre players off that defense and brought them to Cleveland and now they are #1 with Ryan (Rex).

Zombo

I don't really understand your post??

Maybe it's just me.

I don't really understand your post??

Maybe it's just me.

The theme of the thread is that we are better than our #32 standing and Ryan is to credit.

I am pointing out that #32 is #32 and Mangini is to blame.

Jets were #16 with Mangini, #1 with Ryan.

We were #26 with Romeo and #32 with Mangini.

Our defense sucks.

Again.

Maybe it'll get better next year. The last few games have been encouraging.

Zombo

The theme of the thread is that we are better than our #32 standing and Ryan is to credit.

I am pointing out that #32 is #32 and Mangini is to blame.

Jets were #16 with Mangini, #1 with Ryan.

We were #26 with Romeo and #32 with Mangini.

Our defense sucks.

Again.

Maybe it'll get better next year. The last few games have been encouraging.

Zombo

How do u know it is Mangini scheming the defense and not Rob Ryan ?

I've been a Raiders fan since the days of Marcus Allen. I've seen Ryan's defense for years. I always like the guy. The only problem I have with him is the way he handles 2-minute situations. He has the softest D on the planet, teams just eat up his team. It's really frustrating and it's consistent.

I've been a Raiders fan since the days of Marcus Allen. I've seen Ryan's defense for years. I always like the guy. The only problem I have with him is the way he handles 2-minute situations. He has the softest D on the planet, teams just eat up his team. It's really frustrating and it's consistent.

I'm not too worried about that because it was the Raiders. Here's what I mean. When bad teams have a win in there sights they tend to tense up and play soft because they aren't used to winning. As a Browns fan I know this very well. This year though, in each of our wins the team played every play like it was the first series of the game and we finished on both sides of the ball. Of course we had a few scares but the team finished. With a little more talent on this team, we are in good hands.

PS. Marcus Allen is extremely underrated. He even went to the Cheifs at the end and was shredding teams. Excellent RB. Him and Curtis Martin may never get the respect they should from anyone except the players who played with or against them.

Archived