THE BROWNS BOARD

Troy Smith Requests Trade

DAWGPOUND16

According to his agent Ralph Cindrich's Twitter account, backup QB Troy Smith has notified the Ravens that he wants to be traded.

Smith "wants playing time" Cindrich writes, and plans to "seek (a) trade" after the Ravens' playoff run. The timing here is hardly impeccable with just six days left before Baltimore attempts to clinch a postseason berth against the Raiders.

Smith has rushed eight times for 38 yards and a touchdown this year, and completed 5-of-9 passes for 24 yards and an interception.

Source: http://twitter.com/RalphCindrich/status/7124549935

Troy Smith has a Heisman and is undefeated in his lifetime starts against Michigan and the Steelers. I'm not gonna hate on him.

I'm actually one of the few people who think he can be a serviceable NFL QB. He throws a nice deep ball and has some touch.

But Troy, you were a 5th round draft pick who hasn't shown anything at the NFL level. You might shred the Ravens on the scout team, but nobody has film of that and the only evidence we have of that is your boy Suggs' statements. Keep your head down, work hard and wait for your Matt Moore moment.

Instead of trading for Troy Smith, why don't we pick up Daryll Clark in FA. He's a beast and a Youngstown native.

I'm the biggest PSU homer on here....

And I say....

No thanks. Great kid. Great ethic. Just not great in big games....... save one or so.....

Love the kid to death. But just not NFL ready.....

And as for Troy Smith... even a bigger HELL NO. He won a Heisman. Big deal. So did Charlie Ward. And Eric Crouch. And Gino Toretta. End of story....

No thanks. Great kid. Great ethic. Just not great in big games....... save one or so.....

I was thinking of him more as a diverse player who works hard. Like Cribbs, who played QB in college, he could probably be a strong player in another position like Tight End. Thoughts?

Go bring Troy in here, there is a good chance he's better than Queen and since he can actually throw a football accurately he is obviously better than Dexter.

This guy would have started last year for Bmore if he hadn't gotten sick. Could be a whole different ballgame.

I was thinking of him more as a diverse player who works hard. Like Cribbs, who played QB in college, he could probably be a strong player in another position like Tight End. Thoughts?

i'd agree with BBF as well....he never really excelled as a QB when the heat was on.....

the TE idea might work, he's got some size and is a pretty tough kid. being a QB by trade, he may be an unwilling blocker tough.....

Let some other team experiment turning a 6 foot tall, marginal QB into a competitive pro TE..

Me thinks the Browns have bigger nuts to crack...

This guy would have started last year for Bmore if he hadn't gotten sick. Could be a whole different ballgame.

Just curious - are you suggesting that Baltimore would be a whole lot better or a whole lot worse with Troy at the helm?

Or are you merely suggesting that Troy would have changed the Ravens offense completely - having a dual threat on the ground and in the air?

Go bring Troy in here, there is a good chance he's better than Queen and since he can actually throw a football accurately he is obviously better than Dexter.

Agreed. His 53.6 completion percent is ELITE. Dude flat out can kill a defense in so many ways.

Agreed. His 53.6 completion percent is ELITE. Dude flat out can kill a defense in so many ways.

I think it's cute when guys take very few attempts to base stats on like it's a given. If 76 attempts is enough for you to form an opinion on someone's accuracy pal then maybe football is not the sport for you. Now if you just think the guy isn't accurate, just say it. You'd be wrong, but at least you wouldn't be using a measly 76 attempts as your basis.

pass. Instead of going for unknowns, I would prefer someone like Chad Pennington or Kerry Collins or Kevin Kolb. It is bad enough we are splitting hairs with 2 ave QB, why add 1 more to the confusion ?

No on Pennington and Collins. Kolb would be worth the look but is he really any more of an unknown then Troy Smith? Kolb is pretty much in the same boat as Smith.

Kolb Stats

Passing

Year G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

2009 5 96 62 64.6 19.2 741 7.7 148.2 4 4.2 3 3.1 71T 8 3 3 27 88.9

2008 6 34 17 50.0 5.7 144 4.2 24.0 0 0.0 4 11.8 16 0 0 0 0 21.8

2007 1 0 0 -- 0.0 0 -- 0.0 0 -- 0 -- -- 0 0 2 13 0.0

TOTAL 12 130 79 60.8 10.8 885 6.8 73.8 4 3.1 7 5.4 71 8 3 5 40 68.9

Smith Stats

Passing

Year G Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate

2009 4 9 5 55.6 2.2 24 2.7 6.0 0 0.0 1 11.1 9 0 0 0 0 21.3

2008 6 4 3 75.0 0.7 82 20.5 13.7 1 25.0 0 0.0 43 2 1 1 1 156.2

2007 4 76 40 52.6 19.0 452 5.9 113.0 2 2.6 0 0.0 79T 1 1 4 29 79.5

TOTAL 14 89 48 53.9 6.4 558 6.3 39.9 3 3.4 1 1.1 79 3 2 5 30 79.7

I'm not saying Troy is gonna be a future HoF'er but why not bring him in and let him compete?

I'm the biggest PSU homer on here....

And I say....

And as for Troy Smith... even a bigger HELL NO. He won a Heisman. Big deal. So did Charlie Ward. And Eric Crouch. And Gino Toretta. End of story....

Daryll Clark is not an NFL QB. Troy won every big game he played in except ONE. He needs to be given a chance, and yes Drew Brees is the same height as Troy Smith and Anderson is six inches taller and Quinn is five inches taller and they both stink

Troy Smith has a Heisman and is undefeated in his lifetime starts against Michigan and the Steelers. I'm not gonna hate on him.

I'm actually one of the few people who think he can be a serviceable NFL QB. He throws a nice deep ball and has some touch.

But Troy, you were a 5th round draft pick who hasn't shown anything at the NFL level. You might shred the Ravens on the scout team, but nobody has film of that and the only evidence we have of that is your boy Suggs' statements. Keep your head down, work hard and wait for your Matt Moore moment.

Good points C-Banks!

Believe it or not, I wanted us to DRAFT Troy because I thought he was the best QB in that draft. Still do. I was relieved we didn't go Quinn with our 3rd overall pick; BUT I thought getting him where we got him at the time was a nice move. I was wrong.

I don't want us to spend TOO MUCH time dotting i's and crossign t's if we're not seeign enough signs or flashes. It took us forever to come to grips that Phipps was a bust so by the time we looked to the inexpensive Sipe - we had ZERO to lose by giving him a chance. That's kind of what I think about giving Troy a chance. Remember, last year Harbaugh was excited when he thought he was going to be able to start the season with Troy as HIS starter. I heard the intewrview on ESPN about 3-4 day before Troy came down with the throat infection that put him out of practice for a month.

I'm sure SOME of this is me being an Ohio State HOMER; but there's my favorite player since Archie Griffen and Orlando Pace for good reason. Like Sipe, maybe he just awaits the right time and place. How about his home town?

- Tom F.

Daryll Clark is not an NFL QB. Troy won every big game he played in except ONE. He needs to be given a chance, and yes Drew Brees is the same height as Troy Smith and Anderson is six inches taller and Quinn is five inches taller and they both stink

I don't think it can be said any better than that! Good job Rich!

- Tom F.

I think it's cute when guys take very few attempts to base stats on like it's a given. If 76 attempts is enough for you to form an opinion on someone's accuracy pal then maybe football is not the sport for you. Now if you just think the guy isn't accurate, just say it. You'd be wrong, but at least you wouldn't be using a measly 76 attempts as your basis.

Are we going to look at the college stats? Or what? Because remember: the Quinn haters will tell you that college doesn't count.

For the record: no, I don't think he's accurate. I think he is not an NFL QB and never was. I think he was an overrated college QB, too. I watched him play in college. That's where I'm forming my opinions from.

Troy smith blows just like everybody else in the 2007 draft. Worst year to draft a QB ever.

2007 1 1 1 1 JaMarcus Russell Raiders Louisiana State

2 1 22 22 Brady Quinn Browns Notre Dame

3 2 4 36 Kevin Kolb Eagles Houston

4 2 8 40 John Beck Dolphins Brigham Young

5 2 11 43 Drew Stanton Lions Michigan State

6 3 29 92 Trent Edwards Bills Stanford

7 4 4 103 Isaiah Stanback Cowboys Washington

8 5 14 151 Jeff Rowe Bengals Nevada

9 5 37 174 Troy Smith Ravens Ohio State

10 6 31 205 Jordan Palmer Redskins Texas-El Paso

11 7 7 217 Tyler Thigpen Vikings Coastal Carolina

Does anything on that menu look appetizing?

Zombo

Troy smith blows just like everybody else in the 2007 draft. Worst year to draft a QB ever.

Zombo

looks like this years qb will challenge that prestige. maybe 1 good one coming out that can be an impact player.

Zombo

You watch your mouth. Thigpen is a saint, he's just getting a bad wrap. You know you're a good QB when Tony Gonzalez goes on record saying he'd rather be traded than play with a different QB.

Zombo

I understand alot of people prolly think this way about Troy Smith; and you pegged that QB class pretty good Z. The thing is we're paying lobster prices for articificial crab at QB right now. We've done this before with Mike Phipps when we looked at this menu you speak of and read Brian Sipe is the price of a 13th round draft pick because he's only 6' tall with rumors of a weak arm. Meanwhile we paid lobster prices and traded Paul Warfield for the opportunity to draft Mike Phipps at #3 overall because he had a strong arm and prototypical size. It felt like we stayed stuck on pause with that philosophy for way too long when all along the best bang for the buck on that menu was clearly Brian Sipe. If Sipe never got his chance - we would have missed some pretty FUN history. The reality is things got so bad we had ZERO to lose turning to the later round pick awaiting his first chance. He woulda been just as unknown as Troy Smith, who BEAT Pittsburgh in his first start fwiw. My take is he won't cost much so there's not much to lose in having him return home to compete with whichever 40% passer we decide to retain.

- Tom F.

I looked up Smith's college stats.

He was 420 of 670 for a 62.7 completion percentage. He started with 55 and increased to 62 in his 2nd year as starter, then to 65.

He threw for 5,720 yards and 54 TDS.

He rushed for 1154 yards, but his last season when his completion percentage was over 65, he only rushed for 204 yards, which means he was growing into more of a traditional passing QB. He rushed for 14 TDS making his total TDs at 68.

His second season he was 16 passing TDs to 11 rushing. His last season he was 30 passing TDS to 1 rushing.

So he CAN do it on his feet, but he showed remarkable growth during his time at OSU.

I actually like these types of QBs coming out of college over the guys that seem to have maxed their potential.

Smith can play. He can throw and has a pretty good arm, can run and has a good command of the game from his Jimmy T tutelage.

Really, anybody that watched him every week at OSU knows this, but you have PSU fans and others that basically judge him from the Florida game. He did beat PSU's ass BTW.

I looked up Smith's college stats.

He was 420 of 670 for a 62.7 completion percentage. He started with 55 and increased to 62 in his 2nd year as starter, then to 65.

He threw for 5,720 yards and 54 TDS.

He rushed for 1154 yards, but his last season when his completion percentage was over 65, he only rushed for 204 yards, which means he was growing into more of a traditional passing QB. He rushed for 14 TDS making his total TDs at 68.

His second season he was 16 passing TDs to 11 rushing. His last season he was 30 passing TDS to 1 rushing.

So he CAN do it on his feet, but he showed remarkable growth during his time at OSU.

I actually like these types of QBs coming out of college over the guys that seem to have maxed their potential.

The alternative is to hang their future on DA's body of work since October 07 ended or Brady Quinn for about 10 times the price of Troy Smith. Either way, I don't think we need to pay $25 million for a 40% completion rate.

I might have gotten a little extreme with showing what Sipe could do inspite of being a 13th round draft pick. That said, there were far too many decision makers in our franchise thinking we can't just let Sipe beat out our #3 overall commitment when we gave up Paul Warfield to LNAD him. One guy was the prototype in size and arm stength. The other guy was accurate, smart and unique enough for MVP considerations. When Sipe threw for an average of 4000 yards over 3 consecutive years - it was before they handcuffed DBs and pass rushers with countless restrictions WHERE you could tackle and touch offensive passing game personnel.

Nobody knows what Troy Smith is capable of. I listened to Harbaugh tell ESPN radio listeners on Mike & Mike say what a phenomenol camp Smith had about 4 days before he came down with an illness he was hopsitalized with (and missed about 1 month of football with while dropping close to 20 pounds). I gotta believe if other fromer OSU QBs like Mike Tomczak and even Graham got a considerable number of starts for playoff teams in this league - Troy Smith can fly under the prototypical radar and come to somebody's rescue.

Not only that, Drew Brees had a terrible first 2 years so much so that there wasn't a person in San Diego that wanted any other position but QB in that first round of year #3 for Brees. If Rivers NEVER held out - would anyone have ever known how special Drew Brees was?

It's alot of timing and luck of environment. Brees got better when Gates got added and open. I think they also added All Pro WR Keenan McCardell and when teams got blitz happy - they didn't ask LT to block. They threw him swing passes on the perimeter and buried the blitz.

I can't believe HOW MANY people have held Troy Smith to 1 Bowl game (as the rule and not the exception), where he didn't have either of his favorite 2 seniors Santonio Holmes and Ted Ginn Jr. In fact, Troy didn't have Holmes for that entire year which is why media experts deemed Michigan the favorite to FINALLY beat OSU. Troy actions said no problem I'll just make a 1st round draft pick out of Anthony Gonzales and introduce our fanbase to Brians Robiskies. People don't realize this but OSU lost 5 juniors to the NFL draft after Troy's junior year (Hawk, Youbooty, Holmes, Whitner and I beleive there was an olineman). The defense only returned 2 starters so when Troy Smith CARRIED them to an undefeated year, I was impressed with the leadership and progress of the guy.

Like Thaak says he improved. This was supposed to a level many didn't think he'd succeed at. It just goes to show, it's nice to have that Drew Brees ability to want to let Drew Brees define Drew Brees instead of media types that don't always understand the sum of attributes that equate to special. Same with Sipe and if Troy came home - it would be nice to see 1 more time.

Does anyone really want to see 1 more year of DA or Quinn? Keep in mind, if you're saying "uh-oh" in week 2 neither QB has REALLY shown any of us they're improving with experience. We've blamed coaches, we've blamed peanut vendors, we've blamed weather, we've blamed injuries, we've blamed receivers, we've blamed the oline, we've even blamed waterboys and now we're just flatout running out of things to blame for either guy. We're ALWAYS gona have a HOMER mentality and right now we're still being sentenced to whom we hope is the least of all evils. Our emotional ties to HOPE prevent us from being QB experts with the goofballs we're stuck with. MY QB credibility is absolutely shotso from it all; but I've had fun getting into the cyber Jerry Springer episodes and moshpits that Loverboy facilitated. I think that makes us ready for a Battle of Troy - don't you?

FWIW, here's where I'm at with DA vrs Quinn. Quinn was so terrible I had to stop defining the DA acronym as Dumb Ass. More specifically, we've at least seen what DA can do when he's red hot while this red hot day has been elusive to Quinn. People without emotional ties to our franchise like Jimmy Johnson summarized this message: the MORE the Cleveland Browns start either kid, the more their NFL value DIES. I think the guy knows his stuff and he just told it like it is.

- Tom F. (Happy New Year!)

i'd be sick tooo if i had to face ray lewis every day

Archived