THE BROWNS BOARD

Scouting the Humanitarian Bowl

Alo

The folks at TFY Draft put together some good writeups on the top prospects to watch in today's Humanitarian Bowl.

Freddie Barnes WR Bowling Green (#7)

Projected:
Round 5/6

Enters the game on the verge of breaking the single season receptions record. Needs only four to do as such. Barnes currently has 138 receptions on the season. He has a game high of 23 catches. And despite each and every opponent devoting their gameplan around this receiver, and Bowling Green lacking any other playmaker, Barnes still finds ways to get his touches. This wide receiver is a reliable route runner, has strong hands, uses his body well, shown the ability to beat press coverage at the line, and as a former quarterback is often used out of the WildDawg. His biggest downfall is a lack of speed. Barnes simply does not have a top gear and will not run away from any defenders and lacks any explosive qualities. Still some NFL scouts especially like his production and reliability as a target.

Mike Iupati OG Idaho (#77)

Projected:
Round 1/2

Big physical interior blocker who is the best at his position in the nation. Finalist for the Outland Trophy as the best lineman in the nation. Iupati is a rare guard prospect that has the physical abilities and upside to be considered in the first round range. A later comer to the sport of football, Iupati is a natural athlete with ideal size at 6-feet-6-inches tall and 330 pounds. Some talent evaluators are curious to see if he can play some offensive tackle as well. Opponents are simply overwhelmed at the point of attack by this monstrous blocker. His only downfall is playing slightly high at times and needs to work a little on his hip flexibility. Also had a shoulder issue as a junior. Otherwise, Mike Iupati is head and shoulders above any other prospects at his position in this draft class.

If Holmgren wants a reliable possession receiver, Barnes might be his guy. If he wants to develop the next Steve Hutchinson, he'll try to get into position to draft Iupati.

Don't forget about BGSU #18 QB Bart Tanski ... 2007 Mr. Ohio from Mentor High School.

He won't play as he was redshirted last season and still listed as a freshman, but this kid is the best High School Player pound-for-pound that I've ever seen.

Took Mentor to back-to-back State Final appearances, their only such trip(s) in school history. Won Mr. Ohio for the top high school player in the State, then went un-recruited (due to only 6'-1" Height) and walked on at Bowling Green.

The kid is outstanding at ball control. Like point guard in basketball.

The folks at TFY Draft put together some good writeups on the top prospects to watch in today's Humanitarian Bowl.

If Holmgren wants a reliable possession receiver, Barnes might be his guy. If he wants to develop the next Steve Hutchinson, he'll try to get into position to draft Iupati.

I agree. Unfortunately, Iupati has Pittsburgh Steeler written all over him...he is the kind of player they select in the later fist round.

It is amazing how Barnes finds voids in the defense ... scratch that, It's amazing how defenses allow Barnes out of their sight.

I've found that Iupati is great engaging in his defender lined up over him, but when BGSU spreads it out and rushes from the outside, dropping downlineman into coverage, he doesn't seek someone to put a body-on, or shift his service to help out. Doesn't do much good to be standing flat footed staring downfield at no one withn 20-yrds of ya when your QB is getting sacked at your heels.

Hey....my wife is from Idaho!!

I will have to tell her your comment because I have always ribbed her about how i didn't think people actually lived in Idaho.

Note....Idaho is pretty spectacular....at least for the 6 weeks a year it doesn't snow ;)

I've found that Iupati is great engaging in his defender lined up over him, but when BGSU spreads it out and rushes from the outside, dropping downlineman into coverage, he doesn't seek someone to put a body-on, or shift his service to help out. Doesn't do much good to be standing flat footed staring downfield at no one withn 20-yrds of ya when your QB is getting sacked at your heels.

Iupati hasn't been playing football all that long, so there are some slightly rough edges to his game that NFL coaching will smooth over. However, his power at the point is great and he pulls incredibly well for a guy who's 6'6", 330 lbs.

His blocks were responsible for at least two TD runs today; I'd to see him doing the same for the Browns.

I agree. Unfortunately, Iupati has Pittsburgh Steeler written all over him...he is the kind of player they select in the later fist round.

You're right - the Steelers would make a lot of sense. Hopefully, it doesn't happen.

Iupati hasn't been playing football all that long, so there are some slightly rough edges to his game that NFL coaching will smooth over. However, his power at the point is great and he pulls incredibly well for a guy who's 6'6", 330 lbs.

His blocks were responsible for at least two TD runs today; I'd to see him doing the same for the Browns.

One of those blocks, where he got to the second level and sealed both guys at once, was text book.

For those who missed it, I'm sure that ESPN will show the hghlight 5000 times today after every other story about Leach getting fired.

Archived