THE BROWNS BOARD

BROWNS PICK UP JOEY PORTER

Riffer X

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...cribbs_n_2.html

Browns, NFL » Cleveland Browns' Josh Cribbs named Browns player of the year: Browns Insider

By Mary Kay Cabot

December 30, 2009, 5:49PM

Thomas Ondrey / The Plain DealerNot surprisingly, the Cleveland Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America named Josh Cribbs the Browns' Player of the Year. A day after Josh Cribbs was voted to his second Pro Bowl, the Cleveland Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America named the all-purpose sensation the Browns' Player of the Year.

The Dino Lucarelli Good Guy of the Year Award went to linebacker David Bowens, who has answered questions tirelessly and insightfully during the practice week and after games all season.

Cribbs was a unanimous selection over left tackle Joe Thomas and defensive end Robaire Smith, who were also finalists for the Good Guy Award.

Bowens beat out a field of 10 contenders, plus an honorary nominee in defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who has been entertaining fans and media all season during his Friday afternoon press conferences.

Said Cribbs: "I didn't know. Oh, wow. That's great. I don't know what to say. I hate taking credit for a lot of things that I do when there are so many integral parts to my success. I share it with my teammates."

Bowens, when informed of his award, reached for a folder and kidded, "OK, well I have a speech . . ."

Later, in all seriousness, Bowens said he appreciated the award.

"It means a lot," he said. "It's been a tough year. Sometimes you've got to find the positive for everybody and that's what I try to do. I try to be the reasonable person because people tend to get down on themselves or people think more highly of themselves than they should and I try to find the medium."

As for sticking around to talk long after others are gone, he said: "I can take it. Sometimes guys want to get out of the locker room, especially after all the losses. I try to stay pretty medium on all of the issues."

Bowens has been more than a good guy this season. He's been one of the best players on defense. Since switching to inside linebacker in place of Eric Barton seven games ago and being named a team captain, the 11-year veteran has responded with five sacks, including matching a career-high with two against Baltimore.

Blackout looming: For the fourth time this season, the Browns are facing a local television blackout. The Browns have until 1 p.m. today to sell remaining tickets for Sunday's game against the Jaguars and have the game shown on WOIO Channel 19.

Browns spokesman Neal Gulkis said he didn't know if the team would ask for an extension for the second straight week. Last week, they received a 48-hour extension because of the Christmas holiday. The Browns purchased the remaining tickets and distributed them to the USO. If the seats aren't sold, the game would be blacked out within a 75-mile radius of downtown Cleveland, including sports bars and subscribers of Sunday NFL Ticket. It would be the first blackout since the final game of the 1995 season, before the team moved to Baltimore.

Vickers snub: Browns fullback Lawrence Vickers will use his Pro Bowl snub as a springboard for next season. Ravens fullback Le'Ron McClain was voted the AFC starter.

"I'm not mad about the situation," said Vickers, who rested Wednesday with a groin injury. "I'll use it as inspiration for the next year. I know once I get in I'm in. I'm not letting anybody else go. I refuse to."

Vickers has been a major reason Jerome Harrison has rushed for 286 yards and 148 in back-to-back games -- the first Browns player to follow a 200-yard game with a 100-yard game. Vickers also threw key blocks on Cribbs' two kickoff returns for TDs against Kansas City.

"I've got to go back to the drawing board and work a little bit harder and do some of the things I did this year different and better," he said. "I'm getting better every year and hopefully next year will be my year."

Vickers, whose contract is up after this year, credited coach Eric Mangini with helping him improve his hand placement and other techniques.

"When he first got here he used to give me a lot of crap about it," he said. "Now it's like clockwork. He kind of taught me if you want to be a good football player, it ain't all about the physical. Sometimes you've got to get back to the basics of football, hand placement. A lot of guys have a lot of talent, but if you work on the mental part of the game it will make you a lot better.

"That's something I wanted to concentrate on. I'm always energetic and I want to go out there and tear something up. But I've worked on the basics as far as my hand placement, how I move my feet, driving my feet, kind of like a lineman. I wanted to up my game and that's something I think I did.

"I wanted to show people everything I could do: catch, run and block."

Robiskie sprain: Rookie receiver Brian Robiskie sprained his ankle on an 11-yard catch against the Raiders and will most likely sit out the season finale, a source said.

If so, Robiskie will have finished the season with seven receptions for 106 yards. He was inactive for four games and played sparingly in others. The Browns still have high hopes for their second-round pick, a source said.

Robiskie was one of six players idle Wednesday. The others were Kenyon Coleman (ankle, elbow), Smith (groin), John St. Clair (ankle), Vickers, and Corey Williams (ankle).

Mangini on GM: Mangini said he welcomes the fact new team President Mike Holmgren will hire a GM to run the personnel department.

"Like I've said before, anybody that we can bring in that can help us, I'm all for," he said. "You get smart people looking to do the same thing, committed to the same thing, it's great. Fill the building with as many as you can, players, coaches, front office. Everybody working towards the same goal, it's a really good thing. I've been a part of it before. It's fun to go to work."

Roster moves: The Browns signed free agent offensive lineman Scott Kooistra. In addition, the team waived linebacker Arnold Harrison and signed defensive back Joe Porter to the practice squad. Kooistra (6-6, 335) was a seventh-round pick of the Bengals in 2003 out of North Carolina State. He’s played in 84 games, starting one.

ummmm

I really hope that you don't think JOE Porter from the Browns practice squad is the same person as JOEY porter, who plays for the dolphins.

WOW, indeed.

Ummmmm, dude where you been? Porter has been off the juice since leaving Pittspuke long enough to get down to his natural weight.

Hence, he now plays DB.........................sheesh!!

it ws fuuny when porter beat up the browns RB green before a game a few years back.

I almost felt bad for Joey Pottymouth when our little RB kicked his ass before the game. Key word in that sentence is almost.

Do you know what Santa calls Bubby's mother, sister and daughter? Ho Ho Ho!

- Tom F.

Archived