THE BROWNS BOARD

Chick-fil-A Bowl, Tennessee vs- Virginia Tech

ATENEARS

Players to watch:

TENNESSEE

#14, S, Eric Berry (5'-11", 204 lbs)

#55, DT, Dan Williams (6'-2", 311 lbs)

# 2, RB, Montario Hardesty (5'-11", 204 lbs)

VIRGINIA TECH

#17, S, Kam Chancellor (6'-3", 225-lbs)

#22, CB, Stephan Virgil (5'-10.5", 185 lbs)

2rnzh3q.png

#17, VT, Kam Chancellor already has made his presence felt, blanketing his man, running him straight downfield without being able to alter his course. The ball was thrown off target by 5-yards to the inside and the VT Safety picked it.

Chancellor is tall at 6'3"

I keyed in on Chancellor alot tonight. He is easy to spot in the secondary at 6'-3".

I come away with the same mixed emotion as I do with Eric Berry. I'm real curious where each is prjected. Having a 6'-3" cover guy around could be beneficial. Look forward to seeing more on Cchancellor's 40-times and other measurements.

Jason Worilds (DE-OLB VTech) had a big night. He's been very inconsistent this year but flashes elite explosiveness off the edge. That said, I wonder if his surgically-repaired shoulder will be an issue. He seemed to lose some of his strength as the season wore on.

Early in the season, I thought he'd become one of the top 3-4 OLB prospects in this year's draft. Unfortunately, he now looks like more of a second tier guy with some semi-alarming durability concerns.

Some good stuff from early in the year:

Canesblownaway.gif

Eric Berry (S Tenn) had a somewhat disappointing game. He did a good job coming down from his safety spot & notching a TFL early in the game, but he also did some more of his shoulder-check tackling, including one where he completely whiffed and instead hit one of his teammates. Also took some bad angles in run support.

Fortunately for him, the film on him from previous years is so pristine that his play this year shouldn't do much damage to his draft stock. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall out of the top five, maybe even going around #10 overall.

Some other notes:

-
Cody Grimm
(S-LB VTech) is undersized and not the greatest athlete, but he's a football player. I'd be all for using a late round pick to see if the college linebacker can turn into a decent safety.

-
Dan Williams
(NT Tenn) could go as high as the late 1st, but I'm not sure I see the 3-4 nose in him that others are talking about. Might be a better fit as a nose in a 4-3 defense, like he's playing right now.

-
Montario Hardesty
(RB Tenn) didn't have a great day carrying the rock, but he showed a lot of effort on his TD run and did an excellent job working as a receiver out of the backfield (4 rec., 79 yards). Though his injury history is disconcerting, he could be an interesting compliment to Jerome Harrison. He isn't a big back, but he kind of plays like one.

I have nothing to say about the game.

Okay, maybe a couple of things. I'll admit to missing the first half, but the second was as bad a half of Tennessee football as I've seen all year. The Hokies exposed Tennessee as a team that overachieved despite some serious talent deficiencies at a number of positions. But talent aside, what happened to Monet Kiffin's vaunted defense? Forget the fact that the Hokies seemed to be able to have Tennessee's defenders out of position, the tackling sucked tonight. Just a bad, bad outing for the team all around. A lot of that had to do with the fact that Va Tech was the best opponent we've played since Alabama, but man, that was just one painful half of football to watch.

Still I would be absolutely thrilled if Eric Berry is there at #6 (or wherever the Browns end up drafting), and I'd be very happy with Montario Hardesty in round three.

Dennis

Why am I not sold on Eric Berry?

His highlights are awesome and just the type of player that I want (ball hawk, hard hitter, physical specimen), but every time I watch a Tennessee game I come away thinking that I must have caught one of his bad games. He seems to always have a tackle-for-loss, hits hard (at times), but also whiffs on a hit, doesn't seem to make his presense felt over the middle and drifts out of moments in the game and contributes to the defensive woes.

Certain plays, I go, "Wow" ... but at the end of the game i don't "wow". Scouting Tim Couch back in 1998, I would watch the entire Kentucky game, never say, "wow", but at the end of the game Tim would have 323 passing yards and I'd say, "Wow, he had 323?" ... something just wasn't right, and I feel this same way about Berry. Only thing is, is that Berry does make some big plays and could contribute toward a game changing play.

Someone kick me in the ass, or assure me that I'm not the only one not buying into the hype.

I must note that I didn't care for Ed Reed coming out of Miami either, but loved Roy Williams.

I think this morning when I woke up and reflected back on yesterdays game(s), that Kam Chancellor impressed me more. I'm intrigued by Chancellor's 6'-3" height and will dig to find out more about him.

I watched the game...well at least until the 4th quarter when Viriginia Tech was running all over Tennessee. I wasn't that impressed with Berry. He made a couple big plays early and then didn't really hear his name a lot the rest of the game.

I could be wrong because I'm certainly no scout and I don't know if I saw them play any other games all year,but it wasn't an impressive performance for me.

I watched the game...well at least until the 4th quarter when Viriginia Tech was running all over Tennessee. I wasn't that impressed with Berry. He made a couple big plays early and then didn't really hear his name a lot the rest of the game.

I could be wrong because I'm certainly no scout and I don't know if I saw them play any other games all year,but it wasn't an impressive performance for me.

Have you ever stayed at a Holiday Inn Express??

If so, you can then talk with authority. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Archived