THE BROWNS BOARD

I think the Browns will get Jason Campbell.

dawgpound3

Bank on it. Jim Zorn will come here as the OC, and we will get Campbell. Then we will install a west coast type of offense.

Is my Troy Smith idea so bad we're willing to go this route instead? I really wish someone could archive Harbaugh's interview from the Mike and Mike ESPN show last year just days before Troy came down with an infection where he lost 23 pounds. He was talking like Troy Smith was the talk of their camp, which meant they were ecstatic they didn't have to race Flacco into the mix.

IMO, we'd lose more in discovering how much Campbell has in common with Quinn than giving the cost effective Troy Smith a chance to compete with whichever 40% passer we keep at a fraction of the contract demand.

We all claim we LOVE a Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Brian Sipe story because of how close that can hit home (via Big 10 or Cardiac Kid). Now here's a Big 10 player that BEAT his rival every from Michigan every damn time, crushed Quinn's ND team and best of all - he's FROM Cleveland. He replaced Archie Griffen as my alltime favorite player from OSU. If a lesser QB like Mike Tomczak can start for 2 different NFL playoff teams in Chicago & Pitt, then I'm pretty confident Troy Smith can be an upgrade for the 1st team giving him a legit chance.

We don't need to get rid of Quinn only to bring in his clone. Believe it or not, Troy Smith reminds me more of Joe Theismann than Drew Brees or Brian Sipe. He got sent off to Canada just like Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia did when people were too uncomfortable with his athleticism and refused to see accuracy, brains and leadership.

- Tom F.

I agree that Troy Smith is a better option then Jason Campbell.

I think Holmgren is more suited towards giving Troy Smith his chance rather then give Campbell his umpteenth chance. It's what he did with Hasselbeck anyways.

You all can forget it. I would love to have Troy Smith but he'll be traded to a team as far awy from the AFC North as possible. Expect St.Louis, Carolina, and Washington to start fighting over him as soon as the league allows it.

Is it out of the question that we send a 4th or 5th rounder to Seattle for Hasselbeck and draft a qb in the 3rd round. He could play decent for us a year or two and groom the next qb, he is 34 and he has at least 2 more good years in him. I know a lot of you still believe in Quinn, but a I have a feeling he is probably on his way out somehow. I don't hate him, but he has been around it seems like forever and hasn't really done much. I know its not his fault but lets just cut the ties and restart. Jason Campbell will be a good back up somewhere though.

Is my Troy Smith idea so bad we're willing to go this route instead? I really wish someone could archive Harbaugh's interview from the Mike and Mike ESPN show last year just days before Troy came down with an infection where he lost 23 pounds. He was talking like Troy Smith was the talk of their camp, which meant they were ecstatic they didn't have to race Flacco into the mix.

IMO, we'd lose more in discovering how much Campbell has in common with Quinn than giving the cost effective Troy Smith a chance to compete with whichever 40% passer we keep at a fraction of the contract demand.

We all claim we LOVE a Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Brian Sipe story because of how close that can hit home (via Big 10 or Cardiac Kid). Now here's a Big 10 player that BEAT his rival every from Michigan every damn time, crushed Quinn's ND team and best of all - he's FROM Cleveland. He replaced Archie Griffen as my alltime favorite player from OSU. If a lesser QB like Mike Tomczak can start for 2 different NFL playoff teams in Chicago & Pitt, then I'm pretty confident Troy Smith can be an upgrade for the 1st team giving him a legit chance.

We don't need to get rid of Quinn only to bring in his clone. Believe it or not, Troy Smith reminds me more of Joe Theismann than Drew Brees or Brian Sipe. He got sent off to Canada just like Warren Moon and Jeff Garcia did when people were too uncomfortable with his athleticism and refused to see accuracy, brains and leadership.

- Tom F.

Smith reminds you of Joe Theismann???? :blink: You lost ALL credibility right there. WOW!!! I know you love your Buckeyes, but c'mon now.... Troy Smith will be either a) a career backup in the NFL, or b ) a nice starting QB in the CFL. And Pryor will be joining him in the CFL in a year.

Smith reminds you of Joe Theismann???? :blink: You lost ALL credibility right there. WOW!!! I know you love your Buckeyes, but c'mon now.... Troy Smith will be either a) a career backup in the NFL, or b ) a nice starting QB in the CFL. And Pryor will be joining him in the CFL in a year.

actually Smith was playing pretty good in his limited time, and if it weren't for a throat infection, he would have been the Ravens starter.

If Smith and Campbell are the only options, I'd rather stick with the horse shit we have now. As for Zorn coming in as OC, you do realize that he was relieved of his offensive play-calling duties due to being god-awful at it this year and they were given to a guy who had been with the franchise for like 2 weeks. He is getting paid to stand on the sideline and look like a coach, not to actually be one. The Hasselbeck idea is interesting, granted he has been terrible this year but sometimes aging QB's just need a new setting to reboot their careers. QB prospects in FA and the draft this year are pretty dim, so unless we make a crazy move, I don't see that position improving dramatically for next year.

...and to bubby, who is rapidly becoming this board's biggest Retard

Holgren will hire a proven NFL coach like Marriuchi and sign an NFL vet QB like Vick.

He will not take a chance on a college coach.

yeah and maybe Holmgren will hire Matt Millen as our new GM. You have the football IQ of a snail.

i'm still stuck on bringing in an NFL vet like Michael Vick....have you watched this turd play this year? He's horrible...he's worse than both Quinn and Anderson combined. The guy will never be a full time starter in the NFL again.

When you tell someone they don't have credibility - you better be accurate with what you say. I'm comparing Troy Smith to the Joe Theismann that broke into the NFL returning punts AFTER he played in the CFL. I didn't give EITHER guy the Heisman Trophy but they both impressed enough people to WIN it. There's similarity #1. I'm guessing they were playmakers for teams that won alot in the process. Similarity #2. Both guys came into the NFL with the same questions about their height; and the idea they might be better athletes than QBs. Similarity #3. You're not seeing parallels because 1) you don't WANT to and 2) you've covinced yourself that Brady won't be a REAL QB until after we fire Mangini and Daboll, which of course comes just 1 shiney season after we had to fire RAC and Chud.

From where I sit, it took a SMART guy like Gibbs to give Theismann his first REAL chance. He had alot of people like YOU saying he couldn't do it before opportunity #1 presented itself. So did Brian Sipe for that matter. Troy is also awaiting his first chance just like Theismann and Sipe did. Tell me why those are NOT similarities?

The GREATEST thing about bringing in Troy Smith to beat Brady Quinn head to head again is how little we'd have to pay him in comparison to how much cake we've wasted on 2 very overpaid QBs in 2009. Something tells me you are petrified of this challenge. Last time they went head to head, everybody was talking about how wonderful Troy looked while Brady Quinn "just need better surroundings." Let me ask this - what ranked teams did Mr Wonderful ever beat? He got a bunch fat stats against the 3 military academies and Michigan State. Every time he played an elite team we read or heard "Brady just needs more surrounding talent." At the end of his 3rd NFL season, all those with Brady Quinn pom poms are still saying: "Brady just needs more surrounding talent."

Just for the record, I'm not being a HOMER when I notice Quinn's last 2 starts in his 3rd NFL season carries a completion percentage of 32. Are you even WATCHING him play or do you just auto-defer to your old and new testaments of excuses? I'm saying this as a guy that WANTED him to succeed because I got so sick of DA regressing. The sad truth in the land of what have you done for me lately is DA is more accurate in each of his last 2 starts than Quinn was in his with the same group of guys. Since you brought up credibility are you going to acknowledge this? Now, you're stooping to comparing Quinn to a wide eyed rookie in another thread as opposed to calling a spade a spade. Not for nothing, but have you noticed how many seasons China Bones has finished out healthy after he was handed the starting job? Zero. Is this where we get back to blaming Steinbach for his alleged inability to block people? What will you guys still wearing knee pads for Quinn think of next?

ANYBODY that can't come to grips with the reality about Quinn stinking wants Mangini just as fired as they wanted RAC fired and they've told me ad nauseum that Steinbach can't block anybody. Sometimes it's JUST the QB. BB won with Tom Brady and was winless with Bledsoe. One guy made him a GREAT coach the other guy made him wonder if he was in trouble.

- Tom F.

When you tell someone they don't have credibility - you better be accurate with what you say. I'm comparing Troy Smith to the Joe Theismann that broke into the NFL returning punts AFTER he played in the CFL. I didn't give EITHER guy the Heisman Trophy but they both impressed enough people to WIN it. There's similarity #1. I'm guessing they were playmakers for teams that won alot in the process. Similarity #2. Both guys came into the NFL with the same questions about their height; and the idea they might be better athletes than QBs. Similarity #3. You're not seeing parallels because 1) you don't WANT to and 2) you've covinced yourself that Brady won't be a REAL QB until after we fire Mangini and Daboll, which of course comes just 1 shiney season after we had to fire RAC and Chud.

From where I sit, it took a SMART guy like Gibbs to give Theismann his first REAL chance. He had alot of people like YOU saying he couldn't do it before opportunity #1 presented itself. So did Brian Sipe for that matter. Troy is also awaiting his first chance just like Theismann and Sipe did. Tell me why those are NOT similarities?

The GREATEST thing about bringing in Troy Smith to beat Brady Quinn head to head again is how little we'd have to pay him in comparison to how much cake we've wasted on 2 very overpaid QBs in 2009. Something tells me you are petrified of this challenge. Last time they went head to head, everybody was talking about how wonderful Troy looked while Brady Quinn "just need better surroundings." Let me ask this - what ranked teams did Mr Wonderful ever beat? He got a bunch fat stats against the 3 military academies and Michigan State. Every time he played an elite team we read or heard "Brady just needs more surrounding talent." At the end of his 3rd NFL season, all those with Brady Quinn pom poms are still saying: "Brady just needs more surrounding talent."

Just for the record, I'm not being a HOMER when I notice Quinn's last 2 starts in his 3rd NFL season carries a completion percentage of 32. Are you even WATCHING him play or do you just auto-defer to your old and new testaments of excuses? I'm saying this as a guy that WANTED him to succeed because I got so sick of DA regressing. The sad truth in the land of what have you done for me lately is DA is more accurate in each of his last 2 starts than Quinn was in his with the same group of guys. Since you brought up credibility are you going to acknowledge this? Now, you're stooping to comparing Quinn to a wide eyed rookie in another thread as opposed to calling a spade a spade. Not for nothing, but have you noticed how many seasons China Bones has finished out healthy after he was handed the starting job? Zero. Is this where we get back to blaming Steinbach for his alleged inability to block people? What will you guys still wearing knee pads for Quinn think of next?

ANYBODY that can't come to grips with the reality about Quinn stinking wants Mangini just as fired as they wanted RAC fired and they've told me ad nauseum that Steinbach can't block anybody. Sometimes it's JUST the QB. BB won with Tom Brady and was winless with Bledsoe. One guy made him a GREAT coach the other guy made him wonder if he was in trouble.

- Tom F.

Uh, settle down Bucky, when did I ever mention Quinn in my response to yours? I didn't. When did I mention Steinbach? If ever...

You said Troy Smith reminds you of Joe Theismann. Correct? Again, you are comparing a backup NFL QB to a HOF QB. THAT is an absolute joke of a comparison. Who compares a backup QB to a proven HOFer? :lol:

Archived