THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Mangini Be Fired Monday?

bonedawg

72 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mangini Be Fired This Monday?

• Yes, his ass is outta here.
    • No, Holmgren will give him another season.

I am going to guess that Holmgren has already seen what he needs to see with Mangini and they probably have already had some pow-wows regarding the future of the Browns. Will Holmgren's first act as football Czar be firing Mangini or will the walrus give coach another season to turn the ship around?

mholmgren.jpg

Mangini should stay. He seems to a very good teacher and has helped many of the players develop over the year. The best situation would be to let Holmgren take control of the offense and qb situation. Let Holmgren and whomever he brings in on the offensive ball groom the qb. Mangini is a very smart and old school coach. I just hope that the two can work together.

Another question you have to ask is if Mangini really wants to be here next year. He doesn't strike me as a guy who likes having a lot of bosses telling him what to do. He is going to have to transition from having one boss (Lerner) who essentially gave him the keys and told him to drive and a lackey GM who got ousted for being a pansy, to now three bosses (Lerner, Holmgren, and mystery GM) who will definitely strip Mangini of much of his power. I don't think Mangini will say "F you guys, I'm taking my ball and going home," but I can definitely see him being difficult enough to work with that Holmgren would give him the boot if he doesn't adapt to Holmgren's leadership. It is going to be a fun offseason.

I think holmgren keeps the genie out of the bottle for another year but i do believe mangini will have to perhaps make and agree to some concessions especially on the offensive side of the ball and mangini needs to see to it that daboll is replaced by a competent creative OC...

If Holgren is serious about rebuilding the browns and maintaining his reputation he will fire Mangini and most of his staff. mangini has done nothing special unless you consider winning 5 games an accomplishment.

Holgren will bring in proven coach and assistants. taking over a team and keeping the same people in place is suicide.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aIbuu2dhUYTg

As reported by Bloomberg news, Las Vegas views Mangini as the most likely coach to be fired. I don't think winning the meaningless games on the schedule (i.e. once teams are out of the playoff race) is influencing anyone's view of Mangini's odds... with the thought that this won't influence Holmgren's view either.

Keep in mind, these aren't people who are voting because they are Steelers fans or Browns fans... these are just people who want to put their money on as close to the sure firing as possible.

Dec. 30 (Bloomberg) -- Odds are that Eric Mangini won’t be back for a second season as coach of the Cleveland Browns.

Mangini is given a 3-2 chance of being fired before the 2010 National Football League season, the shortest listed odds for any coach according to BetUS.com. The online gambling Web site didn’t post numbers for Washington’s Jim Zorn because the Redskins have already conducted interviews for a new coach.

“With the action we’re seeing, Mangini comes out as the favorite as the first to go,” BetUS spokesman Reed Richards said in a telephone interview. “There’s an old book about the wisdom of crowds and how they can usually spot the danger or trend right away. You’ve got to acknowledge that.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aIbuu2dhUYTg

As reported by Bloomberg news, Las Vegas views Mangini as the most likely coach to be fired. I don't think winning the meaningless games on the schedule (i.e. once teams are out of the playoff race) is influencing anyone's view of Mangini's odds... with the thought that this won't influence Holmgren's view either.

Keep in mind, these aren't people who are voting because they are Steelers fans or Browns fans... these are just people who want to put their money on as close to the sure firing as possible.

Vegas can go to Hell!!!!

Whatever happens probably won't happen Monday..

I mean why so soon??

If the decision has been made, it was based on less than a full season, and I am not sure I want a GM/President like that.

Whatever happens probably won't happen Monday..

I mean why so soon??

If the decision has been made, it was based on less than a full season, and I am not sure I want a GM/President like that.

I agree

Come Monday ,Holmgren focuses on bringing in" HIS " GM

Then evaluates

What went right w/ Mangini/Kokinos hiring...draft...season

What went wrong w/ Mangini/Kokinos hiring...draft...season

After all thats what he was hired to do

trolls b/c they don't agree with you?

Good thinking.

No...they are trolls because one is a Patriots fan who still has a grudge against Mangini for the spygate episode and the other is clearly a steeler fan. In either case, they are both trolls because they are not Browns fans.

didnt lerner already say that we need to give him another draft before determining mangini's fate.

i hope to god not. i don't want him anywhere near those draft picks. he completely wrecked last year's draft and might have done it again if the walrus wasn't there. besides, what sense would it make to fire a coach after the draft? what owner would let a guy who is on the hot seat to draft and if he does a horrible job, fire him and let some other guy clean up the pieces? only one person would do that and it's the same person who hired a guy that nobody else even interviewed.

Holmgren is not going to fire Mangini immediately. That would set a very bad "knee jerk" reputation for the Browns'

pres, which would alienate other prospective coaches right off the bat.

And, you have a great defensive coordinator in place, a defense that is growing,

and you have an offensive line that can do some great things now.

And Mangini did NOT "completely wrecked last year's draft".

And, Daboll should simply give the play calling duties to Bernie Kosar and

he will be okay. It's a nice offense, Daboll is just unable to get the drift about

keeping defenses honest. He just isn't that smart.

The last four wins says that the Browns are getting it together. And some of the players

who have their names mentioned during Sunday's games as to really making things happen

for the Browns' defense... are players Mangini brought in.

Face it - Mangini is a heck of a lot more amicable that the Tuna, or Buttichek, or some other

coaches and former coaches who have been around the league.

But, he's still tough.

And, that's what Cribbs was talking about - that the Browns need some discipline.

He's building a cohesive TEAM that plays together like clockwork, not a ragtag bunch of certain players who

don't get it, don't want it, and just want a bigger paycheck as a FA.

Personally, I'm on Manigini's side, first and foremost, because he's actually smart enough to

know that the offensive line is the engine of the car. No good engine, car won't go, even if you have

Jimmy Johnson (pun intended) at the wheel.

I think he stays another year. Everyone makes this about Mangini's ego but I think Holmgren's ego will be a problem. Does Holmgren plan on coaching this team after the pieces he wants are in place? If so he won't want someone coaching a 3/4 with a power running game.

Or is Holmgren willing to trust a coach who has been a significant part of championships (particularly on defense) and building long term powerful teams? I really think that Mangini has begun to build a team that Cleveland can rally around. Give Mangini a couple of studs on both sides of the ball and this team will be a threat at any time.

Mangini will need to make concessions but I truely think he would rather not be the only smart guy in the organization, and I do consider him smart. Holmgren is also a smart guy and I would assume that he brings in a smart GM. If Holmgren can put his ego aside and work with someone who might have a different offense and defense mindset this could be a great marriage.

A friend at work said that Sunday he actually enjoyed watching the browns for the first time in he didn't know how long. He actually has some hope that this can be a playoff team. He said that if Holmgren fires mangini with plans to take over at some point it is all on him, and he hopes they run the guy out of town.

Archived