THE BROWNS BOARD

Peter King: Mike Holmgren can't be kneejerk about Eric Mangini anymore.

bonedawg

"I said last night on NBC that despite the Browns' four-game winning streak (longest since Bill Belichick coached the team in the nineties), I think it's 60-40 that Mangini will get fired. But that's a legit 40 percent.

This isn't a typical up-and-down team that makes it easy on a new GM or football administrator to come in lining up the firing squad. This team has a few arrows pointing north -- the cleaning out of the salary cap, the accumulation of 11 picks in the 2010 draft, the sacrificing of good players (Kellen Winslow, Braylon Edwards) on a bad team for the future. The team played hard down the stretch in beating Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Oakland and Jacksonville, and Mangini and his staff began to develop a few unknown young players.

"I've taken a lot of heat for the Opportunity Period practices we run,'' Mangini told me last night, "but we've had a few players who never would have been able to show us much in regular practices show us quite a bit in those workouts.''

The Opportunity Periods are post-practice sessions that allow marginal players to come off the scout team for a handful of plays and work on plays the starters work on. Running back James Davis was lost for the year with a shoulder injury in one such practice in September. But as the season progressed, one of the stars of the Opportunity Period was Marcus Benard ("We never would have had the sense of his progress if he didn't have the chance to work in those periods,'' said Mangini).

The free agent from Jackson State began to play a prominent linebacker role against Pittsburgh in Week 14. That was the start of the winning streak, and the rangy Benard was all over the field that night. He had 3.5 sacks in the four-game streak, and he's a solid prospect for the Browns now.

I asked Mangini if he had a gut feel whether Holmgren will keep him when Holmgren takes over as the club's football czar this week. "This place was a mess when we got here, and it's not a mess anymore,'' he said. "Where we are now, I'm not nervous, I'm not anxious. I'm proud. If at the end of the day Mike wants to go in another direction, I'll understand, but I do think we're headed in the right direction.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...l#ixzz0bf2DzXIl

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Tell me exactly what we lost by gettting rid of Winslow and Edwards? It looks to me like our record is better than it was last year and neither of them have done much for their new teams so I don't see the loss.

Tell me exactly what we lost by gettting rid of Winslow and Edwards? It looks to me like our record is better than it was last year and neither of them have done much for their new teams so I don't see the loss.

We lost bad vibes and discontent in the locker room with KW and we lost a set of really bad hands and a malicious character in edwards ,my only complaint is that mangenie waited way to late to get rid of edwards it should have been done in the off season but like every other egotistical coach he had to try and mold BE first wasting valuable time and maybe even an extra win or two...

We lost bad vibes and discontent in the locker room with KW and we lost a set of really bad hands and a malicious character in edwards ,my only complaint is that mangenie waited way to late to get rid of edwards it should have been done in the off season but like every other egotistical coach he had to try and mold BE first wasting valuable time and maybe even an extra win or two...

Ever think maybe nobody wanted Edwards before the season? He probably thought he could get more for him mid season.

This team has a few arrows pointing north -- the cleaning out of the salary cap, the accumulation of 11 picks in the 2010 draft . . . "This place was a mess when we got here, and it's not a mess anymore,'' he said.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ...l#ixzz0bf2DzXIl

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Points that really have been overlooked. Mangini did not promise a one year turn around. He couldn't. He didn't have the ammunition.

The reason we brought in marginal free agents is because that is what we could afford without sacrificing the future. Savage's mismanagement of the salary cap . . . something that John Collins warned us about . . . was the cause. Contrast the Jets. After three years of smart management of the cap, Mangini and Tennenbaum left in a position where they could take on higher-priced FAs like Douglas and Leonard and take on Edwards' contract and overpay a developing top 5 QB pick.

Using this year to see what he really had before bringing in any high priced free agents was also the right thing to do.

Looking at what he's done here to put the Browns in the position that they are now, and what he did in New York to leave the Jets in position, I'm not sure that I'm all that excited that even if he stays as coach, he'll be stripped of most of those duties.

A strong personnel complement who could better organize the scouting department might have been enough.

The last time we were told by the national media that we were "in good hands" was with hiring of the Savage/Romeo tandem.

Here's two tweets from Abe Elam 3 hrs ago, seems like everybody's in a hurry to get out before the "Big Show" gets in.

"I bet half the cars in the parking lot still running wit the keys in them!lol"

"Boy these cats cleaning out there lockers like Hurricane Katrina on the way!"

http://twitter.com/abeelam

Points that really have been overlooked. Mangini did not promise a one year turn around. He couldn't. He didn't have the ammunition.

The reason we brought in marginal free agents is because that is what we could afford without sacrificing the future. Savage's mismanagement of the salary cap . . . something that John Collins warned us about . . . was the cause. Contrast the Jets. After three years of smart management of the cap, Mangini and Tennenbaum left in a position where they could take on higher-priced FAs like Douglas and Leonard and take on Edwards' contract and overpay a developing top 5 QB pick.

Using this year to see what he really had before bringing in any high priced free agents was also the right thing to do.

Looking at what he's done here to put the Browns in the position that they are now, and what he did in New York to leave the Jets in position, I'm not sure that I'm all that excited that even if he stays as coach, he'll be stripped of most of those duties.

A strong personnel complement who could better organize the scouting department might have been enough.

The last time we were told by the national media that we were "in good hands" was with hiring of the Savage/Romeo tandem.

Chip,

Don't forget Bart Scott either. He's making some cabbage with the NYJ.

Archived