THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren's Decision Made

Earl34

From Jason LaCanfora here...

Zorn and his former offensive coordinator, Sherman Smith, likely will land in Cleveland as assistants once new Browns president Mike Holmgren makes a coaching change there. I have heard for a week now that Holmgren is intent on letting Eric Mangini go as coach. Also, Randy Mueller is a top candidate to be the Browns' GM. Holmgren was scheduled to meet with Mangini on Monday, then could meet the media as soon as Tuesday, perhaps announcing some changes then.

I would like to think that Mike Holmgren would do some due diligence and interview players and talk to the coach but if LaCanfora is to be believed...then tomorrow's meeting is merely a formality so that someone like Marty Mornhinwheg can be the coach. If this is true, then Mangini was never going to get a chance nor was he coaching to save his job as it was a fait accomplit in Holmgren's mind.

I guess it's all about Holmgren and pressing the "reset" button because he can. That's disappointing.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Holmgren may be a mistake.

agreed, this guy is gonna set the browns back another 5 years(if this is true of course).

I bet Mangini will end up becoming a DC somewhere, and then will eventually become a HC again, sigh. Is anyone actually convinced that a guy who was working in a retirement home and a mediocre coach who had his play calling duties stripped and given to the aforementioned guy better than Mangini?

Screw you Holmgren if this is true, Lerner is a moron.

Wow, we still don't know what Holmgren is actually gonna do, and already we are jumping to conclusions based on one media guy's report.

And we all know the media is always right...

well I don't know how credible the reporter is, as I've never heard of him, that's why everything in my post said "if it's true", I'm hoping for Browns fans sake it isn't.

I think Holmgren may be a mistake.

I think we need to keep our cool and wait until holmgren announces his decision..its all hearsay right now...but i must admit mueller (if its randy mueller) would be somewhat disappointing as a GM and zorn as our HC would be downright depressing..

Wow, we still don't know what Holmgren is actually gonna do, and already we are jumping to conclusions based on one media guy's report.

And we all know the media is always right...

Thaak...I didn't say it was true. I just posted this because it's been written on NFL.com. He could certainly be wrong but he certainly felt comfortable writing this as written. I, as much as anyone, will question any media report. I'm just offering this for those who haven't seen it because it conflicts (at least in part) with what Mike Holmgren said his process would be.

agreed, this guy is gonna set the browns back another 5 years(if this is true of course).

I bet Mangini will end up becoming a DC somewhere, and then will eventually become a HC again, sigh. Is anyone actually convinced that a guy who was working in a retirement home and a mediocre coach who had his play calling duties stripped and given to the aforementioned guy better than Mangini?

If Mangini's cut loose tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if he is a head coach again by February, sort of depends on how many firings there are this year. GMs around the league have got to be looking at the discipline he's installed, the low number of penalties the Browns had, and how they played at the end of the year despite the near complete reworking of the team and lack of "name" players - they might insist on a different offensive approach, but the overall package is quite attractive.

I will be in a terrible mood tomorrow if Mangini is gone.

As a journalism major however, I believe this blogger is using some shock value in his report for more readers and also some radicalism to get his rep out there (further than it is) in the journalism field.

At least thats what we are taught.

Funny how people here don't know who Jason La Canfora is. He's the one who broke the Corey Williams trade two years ago and now has Adam Schefter's old gig at NFL N/NFL.com.

This isn't some random guy. If you follow football, you come across this guy's name about every other day.

Funny how people here don't know who Jason La Canfora is. He's the one who broke the Corey Williams trade two years ago and now has Adam Schefter's old gig at NFL N/NFL.com.

This isn't some random guy. If you follow football, you come across this guy's name about every other day.

I never said he was a nobody. I said he was trying to make his reputation more well known POSSIBLY. Its not like he is Stuart Scott either you know.

If Mangini's cut loose tomorrow, it wouldn't surprise me if he is a head coach again by February, sort of depends on how many firings there are this year. GMs around the league have got to be looking at the discipline he's installed, the low number of penalties the Browns had, and how they played at the end of the year despite the near complete reworking of the team and lack of "name" players - they might insist on a different offensive approach, but the overall package is quite attractive.

This is interesting. If Mangini is let go and he gets another HC gig somewhere, will we see a bunch of Browns' players defect like the Jets players did? We could really be starting from scratch again. That would be a bit disconcerting to say the least.

I never said he was a nobody. I said he was trying to make his reputation more well known POSSIBLY. Its not like he is Stuart Scott either you know.

Wasn't responding to you directly. You can see that other posters implied that he was a nobody.

La Canfora's been reporting this consistently - check out this post from about a week ago.

Mike Holmgren, the new team president, told the media Monday that he has not made a final decision on Mangini. However, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, Holmgren has done plenty of due diligence since taking the job, and Mangini’s difficulties dealing with players, co-workers, team employees, etc., dating back to his time as coach of the Jets, when coupled with the on-field performance of his teams, make it virtually certain Holmgren will change coaches in the coming weeks.

Holmgren will meet with Mangini next Monday when he comes to Cleveland and then will conduct a press conference with the media. By the following week, look for a wholesale reconstruction of the Browns organization to begin, with sweeping changes being made throughout football operations, coaching, etc. Mangini shares no coaching roots with Holmgren and comes from a tree diametrically different from the West Coast system Holmgren will implement. Unless something changes dramatically, and given the homework already conducted, that’s highly unlikely. It’s more a matter of when than if a new coach arrives.

Who didn't think that mangini would have it tough in the beginning?

Mangini still had to deal with all of the riff raff left behind from the old regime. Plus he had players who were only collecting checks while turning and running to the Clev media whining and complaining about the new coach at any opportunity they could get.

Mangini was brought in to do a job and I believe that Lerner is still supporting him in doing so, and ag ain Lerner will still listen to what Holmgren's opinion is. That is why he hired him.

Whatever happens, Mangini has still made himself look good with the way he finished the season. How many coaches have we had since we came back as an expansion team who would've just thrown in the towel in december?

Mangini didn't, that is what seperates him from all the other loser coaches we have had in the past 10 years.

IMO: If Mangini is let go after the way he rallied the troops near the end of the season it will be another blackeye on the franchise.

I would give Mangini one more draft and all the support that he needs to be able to be successful. But first we need to get rid of this QB controversy, its killing the team.

Wasn't responding to you directly. You can see that other posters implied that he was a nobody.

La Canfora's been reporting this consistently - check out this post from about a week ago.

I won't say he's a nobody- but I'd sure like to know who his sources are before I start believing him.

If Holmgren cans him because it's WCO or bust, and Mangini turns into BBII, well, that won't look so good.

Well lets hope clearer heads prevail.

It's pretty clear Randy panicked but what's done is done.

WSS

I agree.

What is clear is randy has a history of making bad choices as they relate to the Browns. So with the hiring of Holmgren we are left to wonder if he followed his own decision making trend, or hope he beat the odds.

Give it a break already! We don't know what is happening yet and you already want Holmgren fired! I don't think he will fire Mangini, but if he does I will still support the Browns. Lets see if there are any press conferences announced for today or this week. Then we will know for sure. Until then its all speculation.

From Jason LaCanfora here...

I would like to think that Mike Holmgren would do some due diligence and interview players and talk to the coach but if LaCanfora is to be believed...then tomorrow's meeting is merely a formality so that someone like Marty Mornhinwheg can be the coach. If this is true, then Mangini was never going to get a chance nor was he coaching to save his job as it was a fait accomplit in Holmgren's mind.

I guess it's all about Holmgren and pressing the "reset" button because he can. That's disappointing.

Marty Mornhinwheg PROVED there is a big difference between being an Offensive Coordinator for a STRONG Head Coach and being a Head Coach for a team in transition (as did RAC for that matter). He's been like the Dom Capers of offense that works fine as a the coordinator of only 1 unit.

I'm just a knucklehead holding a bag of pretzels and a few pops on game day. BUT how many COORDINATORS are we gonna go through only to realize in hindsight that there's more to being a Head Coach for a franchise in transition than a coordinator from a perfect environment elsewhere? If Marty was the right guy - he's still in Detroit being celebrated as the Moses of the Motor City. They sent him back to another STRONG head Coach with his tail between his fanny cheeks.

And Zorn? How can we get jacked about him?

Don't know much about Mueller. I read somebody that was worried about him coming but I can't recall who that was.

My HOPE is weren't not becoming the Baltimore Orioles of Pro Football if any of these rumors happen. If you didn't like Mangini's offense - you might want to take a look at how happy and healthy guys like Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and Santana Moss remained in DC. The knock on Campbell is how long he holds onto the ball and how bad he sees the field. If you didn't like Daboll, you're gonna gag on Zorn.

I really think if this stuff comes true - I'm gonna stop investing so much time into hope and excitement. There's a foundation of promise that means ZERO if we fire the FIRST person that gave us a 4 game winning streak from scratch. We've alredy witnessed from Carmen Policy that hiring the BUDDY does NOT work in Cleveland. Has anyone seen Dwight Clark since?

- Tom F. (Just when I started to feel real good about the direction of this team I have to read about Marty's Morningsickness and Jim Zorn. Where's the upgrade?)

You guys act like you're happy to be 5-11

it should be 5-10-1

but yes I am happy the Browns won 4 in a row to close out the season. Go back and watch the Adrian Peterson 64 yard TD run in week one and compare that to the way the defense tackled and played in the final 4 weeks and tell me there was not a tremendous improvement over the course of the season.

Rome wasn't built in a day, and it would have taken a millennium if they had to tear down a huge pile of shit on each of the seven hills.

I don't think it said Zorn would be a candidate for HC....it said possibly on the staff....which i took as OC....

Yep...that's what is said...

Zorn and his former offensive coordinator, Sherman Smith, likely will land in Cleveland as assistants once new Browns president Mike Holmgren makes a coaching change there.

here is what i think the hole thing will depend on: mangini's willingness to accept the fact that he isn't in charge. he has a huge ego and wants to be in charge. that's why he brought in kokinas: to bully and push him around. if he can honestly tell holmgren that he can take orders and not be in charge then i think that holmgren will keep him. if he still wants to do things his way then he is gone. holmgren has a huge ego too and will want a guy in here that he can bully around. make no mistake though, he is in charge and isn't afraid to let people know about it.

Archived