THE BROWNS BOARD

Holmgren's Decision Made

Earl34

It just has me worried a little because even though LaCanfora has been saying this same thing for like 6 or 7 weeks now, it's so close to the actual decision Holmgren will make and I just have this sinking feeling like Holmgren has his own agendas for this team other than being a FO type.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever conclusion Holmgren arrived at on Friday about Mangini or bringing in a new coach, has to be re-evaluated because of what has developed over the past 24hrs in the caoching market.

Shannahan (and his wife) are being courted in Washinton. Flown out there on the Redskins private plane. He will be offered more money than anywhere else.

Cowher is interviewing with Buffalo with his real interest in Carolina. He supposedly has an agreement with Rooney to not land within the division.

Hopefully if Holmgren releases Mangini, he has someone (big) already in his pocket as he better not walk in here with some unproven coordinator. That won't fly.

No where does it mention Zorn as Head Coach.

It says expect him to be on the coaching staff as an assistant.

if zorn comes to cleveland i don't think he would be the head coach, prob more in the line of qb's coach.

and zorn may be the deal breaker for mangini if they hire him before they let go of mangini then mangini will be safe

Ialso think that if he isn't gone by wed then he prob safe.

and for all the holmgen haters out there does he earn your trust and faith if he keeps mangini

or is it a damn if you do damn if you don't type of situation

this is a complete rebuilding year and we finished with a better record than last year. What else can you ask for, really? What do people expect? the team was a pile of shit when Mangini got here.

No way dude we had all star players like Edwards, Winslow, Lewis and Stallworth who took us to 4-12 in 2008 with an unmatched 6 game streak with no offensive TDs! Mangini has clearly done nothing by having Cribbs and harrison break NFL records and beat the shit out of the Steelers.

Everybody chill-Ax. The reason the media wants Mangini gone iS because ZERO information gets out of Berea. What makes anybody believe that this one nugget has any validity to it?

you nailed it. mangini hates the press and the press hates him

I don't think it said Zorn would be a candidate for HC....it said possibly on the staff....which i took as OC....

That would leave Marty Mornhingwheg as the Head Coach in this equation. We read it. EVERY new hotshot that comes into Cleveland gives us the same speech. You just gotta be patient. I'll be patient if you're not RIPPING out the first likable foundation that brought the fun and excitement back to Sundays. In all honesty, we wanted this team to be playing good football in the second half of the season. Comparing the 2009 ending to 0 TDs in the final 7 weeks of 08 is a HUGE turnaround for the better. It doesn't alley-oop the need to start all over from scratch again.

Ever since we got our TEAM back I've heard we're gonna use the West Coast Offense and when that fad didn't work - we're gonna use the 3-4. And now that it took about 4-5 years to BEGIN to see some of the right 3-4 personnel - we're gonna revert right back to West Coast Offense tunelvision and deep 6 what our personel seemed to be fitting all of a sudden. Folks, we're closer to a Parcells/BB system than pretending Jerry Rice, Brent Jones, Roger Craig and Tom Rathman are here to help Joe Montana or Steve Young. Besides, does anyone realize how much different the SF climate is to the Lake Erie climate? Just bring me a bunch of guys I don't have to call candyasses every single Sunday. This last group of guys we watched down the stretch played their tails off for us and I really appreciated it.

AGAIN, what makes Marty Mornhingwheg ideal? Like RAC, he's a good Coordinator when he has a GREAT Head Coach. That in no way means GREAT hire as Head Coach in Cleveland. I don't mind us hiring an OC and maybe Jim Zorn will be a better OC than Head Coach. Who knows?

I saw alot of Jets games this year and their offense/scoring weapons looked ALOT like our's. They had to run the ball, have Brad Smith excel in their WildDawg and in the return game. They also got points from their D on occassion. They also had their final 2 opponents more interested in resting KEY players and keeping others healthy. I don't see ANY difference in Schottenheimer & Daboll. They are just a little deeper at RB than us with a 1st rd draft pick at TE to help the young QB and inconsistent on the perimeter and deep. They were much better balanced on offense when Mangini was there and found a reason to promote Daboll.

ALOT of people are blaming Daboll for Winslow HATING Savage and wanting out, Braylon wanting bright lights - big city, Stallworth driving all liquored up, etc. What nobody has acknowledged is we've NEVER utuilized Cribbs better on offense. Stcukey ended up with more consistent hands than Braylon after a shakey start. Our running game ran through 8-9 men in the box playing run every play. We NEVER started off 1st and 15 or 1st and 20 like we did constantly in our last 4 years. There's SO MANY things that guy improved this season inspite of arguably the most pathetic starting QBing any team had to endure in 2009. The completion percentages don't lie. Once Daboll got to know the starters - we got it on folks.

Biggest mistake is well documented by better minds than mine - WAITING to exhale which could only happen when Harrison finally got on the field. If that guy played the entire season - he's pushing Chris Johnson for the rushing title. In Tennessee, they don't ask their 200 pound RB to block more than 3% of the time, which is why they EMPLOY a fullback. They don't ask CJ to block so they can get FB Ahmard Hall vertical. Why would they?

- Tom F. (I'm really worried about this week)

AGAIN, what makes Marty Mornhingwheg ideal? Like RAC, he's a good Coordinator when he has a GREAT Head Coach. That in no way means GREAT hire as Head Coach in Cleveland. I don't mind us hiring an OC and maybe Jim Zorn will be a better OC than Head Coach. Who knows?

- Tom F. (I'm really worried about this week)

I have no idea other than that is who they want.

Just because he didn't get it done in Detroit is no indicator of the future..

Me, I stick with Mangini, but then I am just some guy on a message board and haven't spent 35 years in the NFL at one level or another.

I will say this...Holmgren said something about checking ego's at the door...and I agree. But coaches have ego's about "their" coaching tree, and it seems like Mike might have a bit of a ego about his and would rather see one of "his" guys make good over a Bellicheck guy.

Just food for thought.

Just saying

I will say this...Holmgren said something about checking ego's at the door...and I agree. But coaches have ego's about "their" coaching tree, and it seems like Mike might have a bit of a ego about his and would rather see one of "his" guys make good over a Bellicheck guy.

Just food for thought.

Just saying

He also said, he doesn't care about system, WCO or 3-4, or whatever... he just wants to win. This a most telling comment I heard in today's press conference.

He also said, he doesn't care about system, WCO or 3-4, or whatever... he just wants to win. This a most telling comment I heard in today's press conference.

It was a positive....I don't think anything is set in stone at this point....at least if what we heard can be taken at face value.

Something telling to me is how Holmgren didn't get involved after his hiring. Seems like he would have wanted to be here firsthand to see what the general aura was in Berea with the players and staff. Yeah, he says he wants to take some time to evaluate things but more than likely that appears to be a halfass couple of days of going through the motions.

I'm not too sure Mangie agrees to many stipulations, he is a system guy who believes in what he is doing. There has got to be a way for these guys to come together, cuz this is going to give me the same feeling as when we broke the bank for DA, it could literally set the franchise back another two to three years. We finally have a semblance of power football around here which is what our division and climate is all about, yet we want to tear it down and go West Coast? The defense could sustain a switch, but I really liked the way they responded to Ryan and it looked like he was finding a comfort zone with being aggressive.

I don't like this, it reeks of another bad decision by Lerner, but that doesn't mean I don't like Holmgren either. If Mangie is fired, this team is going to suck bad next year folks, that is the bottom line.

Something telling to me is how Holmgren didn't get involved after his hiring. Seems like he would have wanted to be here firsthand to see what the general aura was in Berea with the players and staff. Yeah, he says he wants to take some time to evaluate things but more than likely that appears to be a halfass couple of days of going through the motions.

I'm not too sure Mangie agrees to many stipulations, he is a system guy who believes in what he is doing. There has got to be a way for these guys to come together, cuz this is going to give me the same feeling as when we broke the bank for DA, it could literally set the franchise back another two to three years. We finally have a semblance of power football around here which is what our division and climate is all about, yet we want to tear it down and go West Coast? The defense could sustain a switch, but I really liked the way they responded to Ryan and it looked like he was finding a comfort zone with being aggressive.

I don't like this, it reeks of another bad decision by Lerner, but that doesn't mean I don't like Holmgren either. If Mangie is fired, this team is going to suck bad next year folks, that is the bottom line.

Did you even hear what Holmgren even said? Did you? He said that his so-called system was irrevelant, it didn't matter. His goal was to win.

Did you even hear what Holmgren even said? Did you? He said that his so-called system was irrevelant, it didn't matter. His goal was to win.

I don't believe everything these guys say, might have something to do with being a fan for 35 years. Sure, he may be willing to tweak it some, but the overall issue is whether or not Mangie will give in to not having total autonomy. Whoever the GM is will probably have something to say about systems don't you think?

I don't believe everything these guys say, might have something to do with being a fan for 35 years. Sure, he may be willing to tweak it some, but the overall issue is whether or not Mangie will give in to not having total autonomy. Whoever the GM is will probably have something to say about systems don't you think?

I think the thing is that the offense now already has WCO elements. There are no true West Coast offenses.

I think Holmgren may be a mistake.

you may have hit a home run.........he is no football genius just been on the good side of things in his time

Just food for thought.

Just saying

I couldn't agree more. I was really hoping Holmgren would just worry about the roster and trust Mangini to run the team. Now, it seems like Mikey may have a bigger ego than Mangini, and perhaps he's the one who should get on board with Mangini's process, not the other way around. Mangini can afford to play hardball with him because he will get hired again somewhere else, and he will be successful. What scares me is that he'll play too rough at the meeting and we'll lose our coach.

I find it curious though that Holmgren has one of his boys coming in to interview for the GM position on the same day he is meeting with the coach? Sounds to me like TWO guys must approve of Mangini and I am really afraid that will not happen. It is very possible that we are gonna be F'd. All because Lerner hit the panic sitch in the middle of a rebuilding year, instead of letting the process play out. He vowed to bring in a czar, instead of just letting the one he hired do the job. Now, we're back to square one. If Mangini goes, EVERY player who's contract is up, will go. How could they have faith in an orginization as schizophrenic as this one. And we'll get to watch another coach butcher a 5 year plan that sets us back, yet again.

I couldn't agree more. I was really hoping Holmgren would just worry about the roster and trust Mangini to run the team. Now, it seems like Mikey may have a bigger ego than Mangini, and perhaps he's the one who should get on board with Mangini's process, not the other way around. Mangini can afford to play hardball with him because he will get hired again somewhere else, and he will be successful. What scares me is that he'll play too rough at the meeting and we'll lose our coach.

I find it curious though that Holmgren has one of his boys coming in to interview for the GM position on the same day he is meeting with the coach? Sounds to me like TWO guys must approve of Mangini and I am really afraid that will not happen. It is very possible that we are gonna be F'd. All because Lerner hit the panic sitch in the middle of a rebuilding year, instead of letting the process play out. He vowed to bring in a czar, instead of just letting the one he hired do the job. Now, we're back to square one. If Mangini goes, EVERY player who's contract is up, will go. How could they have faith in an organization as schizophrenic as this one. And we'll get to watch another coach butcher a 5 year plan that sets us back, yet again.

I think Holmgren likes Mangini. I just think it depends on the meeting tomorrow. It's a shame it had to go down this. It's a really tough decision. I think Holmgren will give Mangini another year.

Archived