THE BROWNS BOARD

More guns means LESS murders

calfoxwc

NRA-ILA GRASSROOTS ALERT

Vol. 16, No. 51 12/30/09

Last week, the FBI issued its preliminary 2009 crime report, showing that the number of murders in the first half of 2009 decreased 10 percent compared to the first half of 2008. If the trend holds for the remainder of 2009, it will be the single greatest one-year decrease in the number of murders since at least 1960, the earliest year for which national data are available through the Bureau of Justice Statistics. Also, the per capita murder rate for 2009 will be 51 percent lower than the all-time high recorded in 1991, and it will be the lowest rate since 1963 - a 46-year low. Final figures for 2009 will be released by the FBI next year.

According to gun control supporter dogma - "more guns means more crime" - the number of privately owned firearms must have decreased 10 percent in 2009. To the contrary, however, the number rose between 1.5 and 2 percent, to an all-time high. For the better part of the last 15 months, firearms, ammunition, and "large" ammunition magazines have been sold in what appear to be record quantities. And, the firearms that were most commonly purchased in 2009 are those that gun control supporters most want to be banned - AR-15s, similar semi-automatic rifles, and handguns designed for defense. The National Shooting Sports Foundation already estimates record ammunition sales in 2009, dominated by .223 Remington, 7.62x39mm, 9mm and other calibers widely favored for defensive purposes.

Also indicative of the upward trend in firearm sales, the number of national instant check transactions rose 24.5 percent in the first six months of 2009 compared to the first six months in 2008, the greatest increase since NICS' inception in 1998. Through the end of October, NICS transactions rose18 percent, compared to the same period in 2008.

More Guns Means More Crime? Hardly. In 2009, more guns meant less crime, in a very, very big way.

When we bought our 9mm for home defense, (hope we never have to use it),

I filled out the background check papers etc.

It was approved in seconds. Even the owner of the gun store was

a bit surprised it was so quick, and said so.

My wife smiled and explained I was an Air Force vet. GGG

My New Year's hope for everyone is that you never need a gun, but if you do, you

have one to protect your families, and I also hope we don't really economically totally crash

into a depression. But I am concerned about the direction this corrupt Obamao admin is headed.

Concealed carry is the way to go.

Memo to self: Don't f*ck with Mr. T.

I have been trying to buy a .357 Targus for about 6 months now. People have said my girl will be able to fire it. But now I am rethinking it because the ammo costs like double the 9mm, I could be wrong in my calculations. If you getting a home protection, a 12 gauge just might do the trick. I am leaning towards that now.

PE -

we bought an SCCY Industries semi-auto. It's an American company that actually, as I understood it,

only makes two versions of a 9mm - all black and a stainless barrell version.

The few sports stores we've been to, even a used one is 300 bucks easy. I would recommend a new one,

given that a cheap used one could have worn trigger parts in it, and some cheaper guns have parts

that are only surface heat treated...

But we looked at a nice used 22 mag, it was $320.

The next row, a big booth, of a local guy who ran his gun store part time, had a deal going on a few

different models. We talked, and he showed us this new SCCY, and for 288 bucks, it came with a holster,

a box of ammo (hollow point, even), an extra clip,

It isn't a big gun, and it also comes with two different bottoms of the clips. The ones that came on it, were the extended,

it had a major ridge for my last finger. But you can put the other bottom on it, with no ridge, if you have small hands.

I can comfortably hold it fine with the extended, my Wife likes it - she picked it out first...

It is perfect for us, not big or too small, but just small enough you could conceal carry it, too.

The guy didn't lead us wrong, if you look up the SCCX, you can watch videos of guys who tested it. It tested

with a 5 out of 5 star rating with one expert...

Well, just a thought...

Concealed carry - I want to do that, but sometimes I wonder if the anti gun crowd, will ever get an Obamao-supported law passed,

to require higher and higher registration prices for having a cc permit, to economically lean on known gun owners...

But they'd have to put millions and millions of good folks in jails... pretty crazy. @@

K -

I don't think a .357 is needed unless you want to be able to shoot through walls... ##

The 9mm is a great pick,

A .38 is somewhere close to a 9mm, but the 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper.

The old shotgun is a fine choice, except it doesn't fit in a quick open safe in your bedroom,

and she won't be able to aim it quickly, and hopefully, it isn't a single shot...

and you have a couple of hoodlum addicts with little cheap revolvers giving you a gun battle.

The SCCX has a 9 cartridge capacity, and you have an extra clip.

This sounds ridiculous, except back in the seventies, I was in the Air Force, and came home on

leave one weekend, and went to a movie and out to dinner with my best friend and his wife...

Got back to their place, in Akron, not a good neighborhood, and when we pulled up into the driveway,

someone looked out the front window. Well, we got out of the car, and I told him

I'd take the back of the duplex, his wife grabbed us both by the shirts and said we

weren't going anywhere... and a second later, two guys ran out their back door.

One looked like he had a small gun, but didn't raise it to shoot, and the police (neighbor friends heard us and called),

found a home-made syringe laying inside, and on the back porch.

We went on a cruise to Alaska about 4 years ago? and my Dad, who was staying at our house, had his old van

stolen out of the driveway. It was found later up in Akron on a bad side of town. We're a half hour drive up the expressway

from Akron...

You just never know. Hopefully, none of us will ever have to use a gun, but...

Oh, and the SCCY has a manual safety - and it is levered on both the right and left sides of the gun.

THAT is cool.

We don't intend to ever have a problem with some hoodlums trying to break into our home.

But, even though we're in a great neighborhood, and kinda out in the country, my Dad was watching our house again,

just over this Christmas. We drove to Texas with my brotherinlaw and his wife.

A couple days later, I was talking to him, and he laughed and said our big 90 lb Bernie Kosar pup, (his real name)

was barking as he ran into the bedroom about 2 AM, and woke Dad up by poking him in the forehead with his nose,

and frantically licking him on his face...

LOL.

Well, some dark van was sitting out in the street in the front of our home.

And, as Dad and Bernie watched out the window, the van pulled up in front of each house and sat for about a minute...

There are no houses on the other side of the street, it's a big soybean field.

Could have been casing the houses on our street?

There were some Christmas break-ins a year ago, about 2 miles away.......

Archived