THE BROWNS BOARD

Who We Miss

TheClevelandSound

Alright so although we finished the season strong, there is a long list of players who could've/should've/would've contributed to the Cleveland Browns and possibly improved our record. Will they be back next year? Who don't you want back?

Donte Stallworth- 1 Year Suspension has caused this #2 reciever to be out for the entire 2009 season. In 2007 he had 17 rec. for only 170 yards and 1 TD. Although these numbers are very small, he is still a veteran wideout and could be used in Holmgren's new versatile offense. In his best year, Stallworth had 70 rec. for 945 yards and 7 TDs, which seems about the average for a good #2 reciever. The question looms of the possible new Browns staff wanting to keep Stallworth on their roster.

Dave Zastudil- One of the best punters in the league, Zastudil was averaging the most amount of kicks inside the 10 yard line in the 2009 before put on IR. His replacement, Reggie Hodges, had a long punt of 54 yards and an average of only 39.8 yards. He also gave up a touchdown to the Chiefs in week 15.

James Davis- Davis was considered to be a steal in the draft since he was taken so late and had success and signs of life in his college career at Clemson. He ran along side 1st round draft prospect CJ Spiller and was considered one of the fastests RB's in the ACC and NCAA. He had an excellent preseason and a decent first game before being put on IR for some controversial injury during the Cleveland Browns opportunity periods. It will be interesting to see what the Browns do with him with the new emergence of Jerome Harrison.

Brian Robiskie- Although Robiskie got some playing time towards the end of the season, he was not used very often in the offensive game plan earlier in the season and was eventually put on IR. At college playing for OSU, he put up some lightning numbers and was the go-to guy in many offensive possessions for the buckeyes. I figure he will be back for the 2010 season with the Cleveland Browns as he was a second round pick with plenty of potential.

Steve Heiden- Heiden has been one of the most reliable players that the Cleveland Browns have had in the expansion era. He is one of the best blocking TE in the NFL and also can catch the ball in the flat or slant routes. His replacement, Robert Royal, showed some signs of life towards the end of the season but is questionable with his hands and would sometimes not be on the same page as the QB. Evan Moore, the 3rd string TE, has played tremendously coming off of the practice squad and will most likely beat out Royal in training camp next year pending any roster moves. This could be Heiden's last year however, since injuries have caught up to him for the past few years.

John St. Clair- St. Clair was injured in mid season and was replaced by Hank Fraley. St. Clair came to the Browns in 2009 and started off his season well but as time went on, he kept missing assignments and not holding his side when the pass rush was on. The coaching staff eventually had to bring out an extra TE to block with St. Clair. I would say that the Browns draft an OL in the latter rounds and use St. Clair as a 2nd string.

Kenyon Coleman- Coleman did not start the first few games of the season, but with injuries to some D lineman, he was set up as a starter and played above average. He eventually got hurt and was replaced. There isnt too much information on Colemans progress to make a clear judgment other than he had a few sacks towards the end of the season. He will be second string next year as well.

Matt Roth- Matt was not on the Browns roster for the first 12 weeks. When claimed off of waivers from Miami, he was given 3 days of preparation, but played phenomenally in his first game with the Browns. In 5 games with the Browns, Roth recorded 4 sacks. He is a strong linebacker who can penetrate through the gap and literally pile drive linemen to the ground. I say he starts for the Browns in 2010.

Sean Rodgers- Rodgers has always been known to be one of the fastest and toughest NTs in the league and was also an excellent special teams player. When injured midway through the season, Rubin was his replacement. It was analyzed by fans and coaches that Rubin, although not as big, was a much better NT against the run than Rodgers. Still, I see Rodgers back starting with the Browns in 2010.

Eric Barton- Eric was another former Jet brought from the old Mangini regime in 2008. Eric was developing very quickly with the defense of Rob Ryan and had his breakout game against the Chicago Bears in week 10. He was also the leader of the defense at the time. With the Browns having lots of depth at linebacker, he most likely will be traded or be a 2nd stringer.

D'Qwell Jackson- In 2008, Jackson led the entire NFL in tackles. He was considered the Cleveland Browns leader and stud on defense, and was a playmaker for countless times. We lost him early on in the season. He will be back as a starter in 2010.

***Players to watch for: Syndric Steptoe, Joe Jurevicius, Chris Jennings, Alex Hall, David Veikune, Brian Schaefering, Derreck Robinson, Jake Allen, Thomas Brown, Titus Brown, Coye Francies, Gerard Lawson, Ramzee Robinson

Quick fact to point out: Jurevicius was injured in the 2008 offseason with a staph infection. Assuming he is in decent shape and has recovered from his infection completely, look for him to rejoin the Browns in 2010. He played with Holmgren for 3 years.

No link...I was just really bored so I figured id give my 2 cents on where some people are headed next season.

Two things-

1)-I don't think Joe Jurevicius will be back. He's 35, and he's also currently suing the Browns for mistreatment or some bullshit. I love the guy to death, he's probably my favorite Browns receiver of all time, but I just don't see it happening.

2) You listed Brian Schaefering twice. Does that just mean I'm supposed to pay double the amount of attention to him?

All in all, I do believe many players will return. My hopes are that we retain everybody except St. Clair. I wouldn't mind it if Barton was traded, but its also not in my wish-list, either. The people I absolutely, positively do not want gone are Matt Roth, Shaun Rogers, Dave Zastudil, and James Davis. I could handle losing everyone else, as long as those four stayed.

2) You listed Brian Schaefering twice. Does that just mean I'm supposed to pay double the amount of attention to him?

lol fixed. Its late give me a break. Yeah i want St. Clair gone for sure. There is just a lot of guys I think would have made our record better if they wouldn't have gotten hurt or we would've received them earlier.

Heiden is one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL??? Huh, compared to Winslow maybe. I like him because he is an all-around true TE, but moreso for his ability to find a seam and catch the ball, although not much speed.

Stallworth will be an interesting case to keep watch on. Wonder how much he has been keeping in shape during his exile from the NFL.

James Davis has his work cut out for him, moreso than just contributing as a rookie. Last spring we had a hole in the depth behind Jamal Lewis. Today we only have room deeper down the chart as a third stringer. He better start showing some toughness and durability or he will be bagging groceries.

A wake-up call was just presented to D'Qwell ... he was not very missed for being a leader on this team. I think the LB corp got better with the addition of Roth than it did in a fall-off without D'Qwell.

Roth has to stay ... here is where we over-pay and kiss ass. Although I have no idea if this guy is a head case behind the scenes.

Was Gerard Lawson only kept in the event that Cribbs held-out or was traded mid-season? I like this kid and wonder where he could fit in and contribute.

If the Browns had a QB we'd miss Edwards. Look at what he has done with a ROOKIE QB in New York. Playoffs? you bet!

Why can the Jets manage and get more of of Edwards then Mangini could?

the jets got into the playoffs because of defense and running backs. it had nothing to do with edwards. he dropped passes and had the same stats there as he did last year. sanchez did noting to get them into the playoffs except not blow leads, but mostly because they took the ball out of his hands.

lol fixed. Its late give me a break. Yeah i want St. Clair gone for sure. There is just a lot of guys I think would have made our record better if they wouldn't have gotten hurt or we would've received them earlier.

St. Clair is just a bad lineman, it's as simple as that. He could be a stand-up guy, but he's killing our QB every down that he's on the field. I've been wondering how well we would have done if we had the same crew from the end of the season starting the entirety of the season.

St. Clair is just a bad lineman, it's as simple as that. He could be a stand-up guy, but he's killing our QB every down that he's on the field. I've been wondering how well we would have done if we had the same crew from the end of the season starting the entirety of the season.

Not 5-11 thats for sure. I know its a stretch but I believe that the backups at the beginning of the year had way more talent than most of starters. I was at many of the Browns open training camps. Saw all the guys do drills. Seemed like Mangini was just bad at evaluating talent.

I want him to stay, but it makes me a little worried in the future.

If the Browns had a QB we'd miss Edwards. Look at what he has done with a ROOKIE QB in New York. Playoffs? you bet!

Why can the Jets manage and get more of of Edwards then Mangini could?

What are you? A dumbass??

His stats were about the same as Massaquoi....

Dumbass.

Put the O-TARD post-it note on your forehead written backwards so that when you look in the mirror you can remind yourself what a dumbass u are.

Archived