THE BROWNS BOARD

What's everyone opinion on Tony Pike

jrb12711

http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=169390

I for one think he has potential to be a good QB. I feel IF he falls to the third round he could be a nice sneaky pick by us. I'm not going to go into the full details just thought I'd hear opinions.

Pike's a perfect developmental guy for the third round, I really like him. The guy throws better going to his left than just about anybody I've seen, and I watched a ton of UC games this year. He also has a very nice touch on seam routes getting the ball over the linebackers' heads and throws a decent deep ball. Comparisons to DA are in body shape only, as Pike needs some time to grow and get stronger. He can definitely throw the ball, which would be a start for this team.

Pike's a perfect developmental guy for the third round, I really like him. The guy throws better going to his left than just about anybody I've seen, and I watched a ton of UC games this year. He also has a very nice touch on seam routes getting the ball over the linebackers' heads and throws a decent deep ball. Comparisons to DA are in body shape only, as Pike needs some time to grow and get stronger. He can definitely throw the ball, which would be a start for this team.

Agreed, of all positions in football, we are finding more and more that quality QB's aren't only top 10 picks. 3rd or 4th round if at all.

As a Bearcats Fan and a UC student I would LOVE for the Browns to pick up Pike. He has the skills and the height to be a great QB and he is surprisingly mobile. The only thing I worry about sometimes with him is his decision making. Id say that if he is available the Browns should take him.

I agree with what you guys said. It seems just from an outside appearance he needs to add some build, but that's easy. From an intangibles point of view, i think he's got almost everything. I hope the Florida game makes his stock go down, even though all things considered he had a good game.

it's also a good point about his mobility. I watched a good 3-4 UC games myself, and every time I was amazed how sneaky quick he was. Sadly, I think he'll be gone halfway through the second. As much as i like this guy, it's hard not to sure up other positions of need first. It all depends though, it's speculation at this point.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

In all seriousness, I would rather have D.A. or Brady Quinn before any QB in this year's draft class -- and I hope Mr. Holmgren feels the same way.

Agreed about his physical tools making him an intriguing developmental option. However, I'm not sure he's got the mental toughness & composure of a starting QB.

Much has been made of how he almost quit football in high school because he didn't like getting hit. Also, he didn't go away for college - he lives in a small apartment above his parent's place - and doesn't exude leadership on or off the field. His body language in the Florida game was pretty awful; Mardy Gilyard was the one who roamed the sideline trying to fire up the guys.

As much as people like to denigrate talk about the "it factor", I don't think it's crazy to question whether Pike's got "it". But of the developmental QB options, he may be the most promising.

I think he's an interesting prospect. He posted monstrous numbers this year. Still, if it was a knock on Quinn that he played the service academies, what are we to make of a guy who played against Rutgers, Southeast Missouri State, Fresno State, Miami (OH), Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, West Virginia, Illinois? Cincy's schedule was 53rd most difficult, according to Sagarin's ranking (can't find ND's from Quinn's senior year, but ND's was 31st this year).

So if we think he's a nice prospect, but he has played against questionable talent, and we don't have a vet on the roster to tutor him, I'd pass on him in the third round. Probably wouldn't take him before the 4th or 5th round. We have too many holes that can be filled by a player picked up in the third or fourth round...guys who could step right in and play.

In all seriousness, I would rather have D.A. or Brady Quinn before any QB in this year's draft class -- and I hope Mr. Holmgren feels the same way.

I would tend to agree with you on this except if it happens in the 3rd round or later, I'm okay with that.

He's DA with brains and better accuracy.

The scary thing is is sort of looks like DA.

pike2.jpg

Actually, I've seen a fair amount of UC games, and other than the injury history- a couple of major mess ups to his non throwing wrist, I really like the prospect of picking him up with one of our extra third round picks- if he's still there.

I think he's an interesting prospect. He posted monstrous numbers this year. Still, if it was a knock on Quinn that he played the service academies, what are we to make of a guy who played against Rutgers, Southeast Missouri State, Fresno State, Miami (OH), Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, West Virginia, Illinois? Cincy's schedule was 53rd most difficult, according to Sagarin's ranking (can't find ND's from Quinn's senior year, but ND's was 31st this year).

So if we think he's a nice prospect, but he has played against questionable talent, and we don't have a vet on the roster to tutor him, I'd pass on him in the third round. Probably wouldn't take him before the 4th or 5th round. We have too many holes that can be filled by a player picked up in the third or fourth round...guys who could step right in and play.

Hmmmm... who did Joe Flacco play against? Take a gander at this row of cream puffs!

Delaware Football Schedule

You can't pretend that in general playing against weaker competition is going to better prepare you for playing at the NFL better than playing against better competition. So you don't exactly advance an argument by saying that one QB played against poor competition, but has put up decent numbers in the NFL.

At the same time, Joe Flacco plays on a team with a top three defense the past two seasons. That means less pressure on the O. Plus, until the last four games of the season, Flacco had 14 TDs vs. 11 INTs (very pedestrian numbers). He really was not playing all that well. He had an 8-game stretch where he threw 6 TDs, 8 INTs, and his team lost 5 of those. So, Flacco's hardly a good comparison. We're a very different team from Baltimore.

One more thing: Flacco played against 5 ranked teams that year. That's no creampuff schedule. It's not like his team vastly outclassed the opposition in terms of talent.

You can't pretend that in general playing against weaker competition is going to better prepare you for playing at the NFL better than playing against better competition. So you don't exactly advance an argument by saying that one QB played against poor competition, but has put up decent numbers in the NFL.

At the same time, Joe Flacco plays on a team with a top three defense the past two seasons. That means less pressure on the O. Plus, until the last four games of the season, Flacco had 14 TDs vs. 11 INTs (very pedestrian numbers). He really was not playing all that well. He had an 8-game stretch where he threw 6 TDs, 8 INTs, and his team lost 5 of those. So, Flacco's hardly a good comparison. We're a very different team from Baltimore.

One more thing: Flacco played against 5 ranked teams that year. That's no creampuff schedule. It's not like his team vastly outclassed the opposition in terms of talent.

OK, maybe Flacco is the exception to the rule- he played a couple of good teams that year, but that wasn't exactly a Big 10 schedule. :)

^ I think a weak schedule matters, obviously. It does give reason to wonder about what the guy would have done against better competition and to wonder how well prepared he is. I've said that Pike did well, and I think he's an interesting pro prospect/project, but I think we're not going to improve the QB spot in the draft. Third round? We could still pick up a starter on D.

As far as the schedule, I think you have to focus on individual matchups. For instance, USF, Pitt, and Florida were the three good pass rush teams on UC's schedule.

Against USF, Pike looked flustered early on, then seemed to be getting it together just before he got hurt. In the Pitt game, he started out strong, but his receivers dropped some perfect throws before he started forcing some dumbs. Ultimately, he finished very strong in that game but couldn't do much at all against Florida.

So I think there still are a lot of questions about Pike's composure while facing a steady rush. Fortunately for him, he has surprising mobility for a guy that tall, and his ability to see over the line will help him a lot at the next level.

One thing I like about Pike is that he's an excellent red zone QB: his numbers there are off the charts good. To his credit, Sam Bradford's also an excellent red zone guy. Jimmy Clausen's stats are a little more mixed; he hasn't thrown many picks, but his completion percentage is below 50%.

^ Good post. Regarding Clausen, ND's playcalling in the red zone was always questionable, and they had no rushing option, so they were either one-dimensional or full of trickery. That doesn't excuse a bad completion %, but it may well explain it.

Archived