THE BROWNS BOARD

Do we want John Fox as HC?

bonedawg

I know there has been a lot of Mangini love of late, and I am on that bandwagon. He got a team of scrubs to perform over their heads in the last quarter of the season. Let's face it though, this is Mike Holmgren's world and we are all just living in it. There have been some rumors that John Fox is a candidate for the HC job due to having only one year left on his contract, being part of the Holmgren tree, and Carolina being an ideal fit for Cowher (family lives there). Delhomme single-handedly submarined the Panthers season this year when he decided that throwing a bunch of picks was a good career move. Carolina's '09 record is not on Fox IMO.

Quick John Fox stats:

Record: 71-57

Games over .500: 14

Super Bowl Wins: 0

Conference Championships: 1

Division Championships: 3

I want Mangini to have another year, but of all of the "hot coordinators" mentioned as possible candidates, I'd rather have a HC with his stats taking us into 2010. Maybe he can put little-ass Steve Smith in his pocket and bring him to Cleveland next year too. Side note: did you all see smith's TD catch a few weeks ago where he broke his arm and still made the catch? When asked about how his arm breaking affected his play he said it was a "minor nuisance" and hoped to play next week.

So what do you all think? John Fox in 2010 yes or no?

Guest Metcalf_FTW

I live in Charlotte and write for a sports section of a newspaper down here (not the Observer) and have a lot of respect for John Fox. From what it sounds like, he will be in Charlotte for at least next season to finish his contract and depending on how the team does, maybe longer.

Also, Fox likes to run the ball more than Mangini. I know Holmgren says he just wants to win, but I think he wants to pass at least a little more than we have been.

Personally, I think Mangini is a better option than Fox. I think it is a good fit to have a seasoned veteran in the operations department like Holmgren (even thought it's his first time in this role, his experience is unquestionable) and to have a young, hungry coach to go along with the "process".

I would take him as a OC but nothing more.

He failed! In the SB and as HC

We need to hire a winner.

Its time to put a stop to being enamored with the runner ups amd get the real thing.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

In his defense, they had the Patriots in that Super Bowl eat until a certain kicker booted a kickoff out of bounds that set up Tom Brady's last-minute drive.

Im for whatever the prez wants short of bringing jim zorn in as an HC...;)

Im on the holmgren bandwagon and if mangini can make the grade great!

But if the genie gets bottled i really hope the prez doesnt bring in a no name guy unless he is developing a name ,we must move forward not backwards..

No way.

Anybody who has Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Steve Smith, Julius Peppers, and plays in a warm climate should win 12-14 games a year. Could you imagine if he only had Jerome Harrison, Mo Mass, Matt Roth, and had to deal with wind, rain, and snow? No f'n way. Not to mention he gave Delhomme an extention after last year!!!???? As bad as our QBs but at least DA threw 28 TDs and got to the Pro Bowl the year before his extention. The dude is the luckiest coach in the league. But by no means is he any good.

No way.

Anybody who has Deangelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, Steve Smith, Julius Peppers, and plays in a warm climate should win 12-14 games a year. Could you imagine if he only had Jerome Harrison, Mo Mass, Matt Roth, and had to deal with wind, rain, and snow? No f'n way. Not to mention he gave Delhomme an extention after last year!!!???? As bad as our QBs but at least DA threw 28 TDs and got to the Pro Bowl the year before his extention. The dude is the luckiest coach in the league. But by no means is he any good.

you dont go to the Playoffs without being good. and he did take Carolina to the Super Bowl. Jake Delhome was a very valuable QB before his recent slump. He was good from 2003- 2007 and not a one year wonder. And it was after his injury in 07 that he lost his charm. Anyone who rates DA above Jake Delhome is ........ unique.

No way.

So he knows how to draft talent.

I live in Charlotte and write for a sports section of a newspaper down here (not the Observer) and have a lot of respect for John Fox. From what it sounds like, he will be in Charlotte for at least next season to finish his contract and depending on how the team does, maybe longer.

Also, Fox likes to run the ball more than Mangini. I know Holmgren says he just wants to win, but I think he wants to pass at least a little more than we have been.

Personally, I think Mangini is a better option than Fox. I think it is a good fit to have a seasoned veteran in the operations department like Holmgren (even thought it's his first time in this role, his experience is unquestionable) and to have a young, hungry coach to go along with the "process".

that's awesome, i didn't know anyone else on the board is from charlotte. you live in uptown or?

I actually read a similar article that was in the observer. It's obvious to me after reading that and other local broadcasts etc. that Fox enjoys where he is. I think he realizes he is on the cusp of having another great year in Carolina if they add the right pieces in the off season. However, in being in the stadium at least this season, it sure seemed like the fan base wanted him gone. It's a good thing fans dont make decisions though haha.

Just my quick tidbit about them. I say without a doubt stewart and williams are the best RB duo in all the NFL. Stewart will get traded eventually, Michael Turner esque.

edit: mopagi you're an idiot. Fox built that team. You can't say he got lucky when he's the guy who brought the guys in. Delhomme extension has nothing to do with him. He may of put in a good word but he doesnt make contracts.

you dont go to the Playoffs without being good. and he did take Carolina to the Super Bowl. Jake Delhome was a very valuable QB before his recent slump. He was good from 2003- 2007 and not a one year wonder. And it was after his injury in 07 that he lost his charm. Anyone who rates DA above Jake Delhome is ........ unique.

I didn't rank DA above Delhomme I was making the point that DA's extention at least came after a good season when Jake's came after stinking it up more often than not the prior year.

Just my quick tidbit about them. I say without a doubt stewart and williams are the best RB duo in all the NFL. Stewart will get traded eventually, Michael Turner esque.

edit: mopagi you're an idiot. Fox built that team. You can't say he got lucky when he's the guy who brought the guys in. Delhomme extension has nothing to do with him. He may of put in a good word but he doesnt make contracts.

Again, Stewart, Smith, Williams, and Peppers. If you're not dominating week in and week out, than you have serious issues. I can only put that on the coach. And the contract would never have happened if the coach didn't say he wanted the guy. How could anybody logically believe that Delhomme was any good? I seriously thought that they would be looking for QBs last year and then they resigned that guy? Rediculous. He may have "built" that team, good for him, but he doesn't seem to know what to do with it. I wouldn't be excited in the least if he came here.

I think its pretty clear on this board the vast majority want Mangini to stay..something good is happening with this football team and I want it to continue..with Mangini and his staff..Marty Morninweig..UGH..John Fox.NO...Can we freakin stay the course now that we've seen some ACTUAL progress on the field with this team..Seriously

I think its pretty clear on this board the vast majority want Mangini to stay..something good is happening with this football team and I want it to continue..with Mangini and his staff..Marty Morninweig..UGH..John Fox.NO...Can we freakin stay the course now that we've seen some ACTUAL progress on the field with this team..Seriously

Amen to that. Although I liked Jamal Lewis, since he was gone, the running game had to adapt and became much better.

The Jets pickups, for the most part, have been good calls. Good ridence Braylon and good call by Mangini.

My beef with Mangini is the manner he which he DID"NT handle the QB issue well at all. Quinn, then DA, then Quinn, etc. Although, given how things were going south in a handbasket I suppose he was grabbing for whatever might spark progress.

I also blame Mangini for accepting the inept offensive play calling for the first several games.

But ... we did finish well and things SEEM to have had a purpose and SEEM to have a positive result.

Amen to that. Although I liked Jamal Lewis, since he was gone, the running game had to adapt and became much better.

The Jets pickups, for the most part, have been good calls. Good ridence Braylon and good call by Mangini.

My beef with Mangini is the manner he which he DID"NT handle the QB issue well at all. Quinn, then DA, then Quinn, etc. Although, given how things were going south in a handbasket I suppose he was grabbing for whatever might spark progress.

I also blame Mangini for accepting the inept offensive play calling for the first several games.

But ... we did finish well and things SEEM to have had a purpose and SEEM to have a positive result.

I'm with you completely except for the playcalling comment. Somebody said here a while back that you can't play chess using all pawns. I think the "vanilla" offense early on was because it was all the team could handle in this new system. You saw late, once the players started playing instinctual, the playcalling getting more aggressive and creative. You work with what you have and early on, we had nothing.

Yeah but I'm afraid Holmgren wll dismiss this year altogether and allow his ego and loyalty to decide that bringing in one of his disciples is the right move. That would infuriate me to no end. We'll know how serious he is about helping this team by the decision he makes on the coach. If he keeps him, that shows that he will accept progress from anywhere in the orginization. If he fires him, it shows that he just wants to put his stamp on the whole thing. Granted Holmgren is well qualified to do so, but decisions based on ego in this league rarely work out. Al Davis, Butch Davis, Jerry Jones, Bill Belicheck going for it on 4th down, Phil Savage mortgaging our future to get his guys on the field. It is never a winning formula.

I think I'm pretty clearly on record as a supporter of what Mangini has done. But, of course, that means nothing to Holmgren. If he want's his guy, he'll have his guy.

Out of all the possible "his guys", I'd be most pleased with John Fox taking over. I think he'd continue a lot of the basic principles that Mangini started. Moringweig, Zorn . . . those names make me want to gag. Holmgren, Heckert and Fox . . . after I got over the injustice, I think could get on board with that team.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

Does anyone realize how long it took John Fox to pull Jake Dellhome? It costed them their season. I believe Matt Moore went 4-1 after Jake thre more interceptions than touchdowns. I can only imagine what Fox would do with our QB controversy, whatever it is.

I like Fox, but I don't think he has the brass we need in Cleveland. Too soft in many areas.

Does anyone realize how long it took John Fox to pull Jake Dellhome? It costed them their season. I believe Matt Moore went 4-1 after Jake thre more interceptions than touchdowns. I can only imagine what Fox would do with our QB controversy, whatever it is.

I like Fox, but I don't think he has the brass we need in Cleveland. Too soft in many areas.

Jake was getting it done every year until this season, but he always h ad 2 or 3 really bad games a year. It's somewhat understandable that Fox stuck with him. But it is also just a bit worrisome that he tends to stick with players a little too long, like DeShaun Foster instead of Deangelo Williams, Shaky Jake, and a few others. But he is a great coach and if he were to be let go or leave he would be unemployed maybe for 48 hours at the most.

who wants an old, tired, no-enthusiasm coach. no way. keep mangini or bring in a fireball. a year ago there were kirk ferentz sightings. what happened there? i'd keep manigini cuz he runs a tight ship. why everyone loves holmgren all of a sudden is a mystery to me. his last years in seattle were a joke. if he fires mangini (to bring in one of his blow boys) he loses respect in my book. fat xxxx.

Archived