THE BROWNS BOARD

Dabol?

DawgTracker

Halfway through the season it was nearly unanimous that Dabol should be canned. In the last six or so games the execution began improving greatly and when it did Dabol looked better and better.

I'm not sure Dabol has to go. He is open to working with Holmgren and probably would be with bernie too. With an accurate QB and one more receiver this can be a good offense just the way it is. With some tweaks maybe it could become very good.

Once the right side blocking improved so did the execution and play calling. I think Dabol improved as the season went on but if the right side had played well from the get go our offense might have been ok all year (except for QB play).

Im not good with daboll at all he is the main reason we had no passing game...he is an uncreative scrub..and theres no way he survives to screw things up next year..

I generally love watching a rookie OC grow and learn but watching dumbo dabull in action puts knots in my gut he lacks many of the appropriate essential tools to offer up a challenging offensive style...JMO though if the big show can live with the hit to his reputation so can i..;)

I'm good with Daboll..he did an excellent job considering he didn't have a passing game whatsoever

The offense looked absolutely pathetic for most of the season, but Bernie Kosar, who had access to game film and knows a little more about offensive football than I do, was complementary of Daboll throughout most the season. He outright challenged Michael Reghi on his show a couple times.

It seemed to me that Carl Smith's finger prints were all over this offense at the end of the season. But even Carl Smith offered a rant about what a brilliant football mind Daboll is. I'm not sure he was ready and I doubt he'll hold on to his position, but it would be interesting to see him grow under Holmgren's watch.

Uncreative ?

We Saw

Cribbs throw from the WildDawg (more than once)

Zone Blocking

Statue of Liberty(to some degree)

Unbalanced Line

Direct Snap to a RB (Lewis 2pt conversion,brilliant call)

WildDawg miss direction(Harrison should have scored,another brilliant call)

WildDawg pass to QB

Steinbach in the backfield

Some well timed end arounds

And some wide open WR that either couldn't catch or QB that couldn't get them the ball

Just sayin...Maurice Carthon ?

Uncreative ?

We Saw

Cribbs throw from the WildDawg (more than once)

Statue of Liberty(to some degree)

Unbalanced Line

Direct Snap to a RB (Lewis 2pt conversion,brilliant call)

WildDawg miss direction(Harrison should have scored,another brilliant call)

WildDawg pass to QB

Steinbach in the backfield

Some well timed end arounds

Just sayin...Maurice Carthon ?

We also saw run,run,pass,punt more often than not.

daboll is terrible, remember back how many times he ran on first down. I'm sure the number is astronamical. then think of how many times you can remember him doing a PA pass on first down. I can't think of one time.

if your going to do something as predictable as run up the middle of first down 90+% of the time. its begging to use play action and get a big gain. daboll can't think that complex. his simple mind will never be a good OC.

not to mention, half the reason our qbs suck is because of daboll's playcalling. a buttload of the time we pass are on 3rd and long, after daboll figures out from two tries, that a run up the middle isn't working. not to mention we're usually at a handicap, since everyone in the league knows we're gonna run up the middle of first down, its usually stopped. giving our offense only two downs to make anything happen. and when he runs up the middle on 2nd down and its stopped, its hard to expect a QB with no accuracy, and the other QB that is still learning the game, to convert a 3rd and 10-12, especially when they know its a pass.

the predictability of daboll is insulting.

It's hard to gauge Daboll. He had a young offense and this was his first time calling plays. He did improve a lot throughout the year. He could be a diamond in the rough. We saw progress. Anytime your #1 receiver is a rookie and you have a 30 year old RB, your offense is going to suffer. I wouldn't been sad if he was replaced, but I wouldn't mind if he stayed either.

However, Holmgren is probably going to clean house, so this might be a mute point.

We also saw run,run,pass,punt more often than not.

And when the PUNT team continued to pin opponents inside their 10 yard line instead of seeing an inaccurate/unreliable passer throwing INTs - you didn't see people crying about the BAD QBing. If anything, it almost made you forget the nightmares at QB. How's that terrible?

The alternative to run, run, pass is pinning the next downs and distances on 32-47% completion rates. Then people would be REALLY bitching and we wouldn't be competing. It's the difference between being paid to be an OC and doing it from your chair at home with beers and Fritos. I'm guessing the guy promoted to the OC job has a better understanding of it in spite of all the accusations stating otherwise. I just looked at the NY Jets running the SAME offense as they RAN their way into the post season. Brad Smith looked like a Poor Man's Josh Cribbs with the kick return on Indy and the QB run going for a TD. They worked AROUND their QB like we did. When they didn't work around their QB - he threw too many INTs to win on occasion.

I'm not just gonna SAY all this without examples so please feel free to trash these examples below when applicable:

The OLINE got better as the season went on. BAD OC or good OC? Good

The SAME offense that scored 0 TDs for the final 7 weeks of 08 - was winning the final 4 games in 09. BAD OC or good OC? Good

We went from always being in 2nd and 3rd and forever to always managable 3rd and doable. BAD OC or good OC? Good.

We had a running game averaging at least 175 yds rushing per game vrs 8-9 men in the box. BAD OC or good OC? Good.

When you CAN impose your will running the ball, you chew clock and rest the Defense so their legs are fresh enough to maintain scoreboard favorability to the Browns. That means you know your team AND your opponent. BAD OC or good OC? Good.

When the offense gets BETTER and grows in the second half of the season throughout roster transition is this GOOD OC or bad? Good

You're saying you'd RATHER see DA miss another screen pass to a wide open Harrsion on first down? BAD OC right? Wouldn't you rather have the OC know the offensive personnel? Heading into the Chiefs game the ONLY returning starters from the 08 offense were Steinbach, Vickers and Thomas. You can't expect them to look like a well balanced unit that's been together for 3-4 years if you're realistic.

- Tom F.

I'm convinced that if Dabol, Mangini, Ryan or anyone else leaves the Browns it won't be because they're good, bad, or indifferent. It will be because they don't fit Holmgren's image of what the team should be.

Archived