THE BROWNS BOARD

Hall of Fame data

The Gipper

A couple of notes on the Hall(s) of Fame(s)? :

1. I hear that Andre Dawson is the ONLY person elected to the Baseball HOF for this year. This news just came down about an hour ago. He got 77.9% of the vote which required 75%. Two former Indians missed the HOF by a c**t hair: Bert Blyleven got 74.2% of the votes, missing election by only 2-3-4 votes. Robby Alomar got 73.7% of the vote, missing by only 9 or 10 votes. The only other persons to get over 50% of the vote were Jack Morris 52.3% and Barry Larkin 51.6%. Notably, Mark McGwire only got 23.7% of the vote.

2. On the Pro Football Hall of Fame, there are currently 2 Veterans's Committee finalists: Dick LeBeau and Floyd Little, plus 25 semifinalists whose numbers will be trimmed down to 15 on Jan. 7th. Here are the semifinalists:

Cliff Branch

Tim Brown

Chris Carter

Don Coryell

Roger Craig

Terrell Davis

Dermonti Dawson

Richard Dent

Chris Doleman

Kevin Greene

Russ Grimm

Ray Guy

Charles Haley

Lester Hayes

Ricky Jackson

Cortez Kennedy

Art Modell

John Randle

Andre Reed

Jerry Rice

Shannon Sharpe

Emmit Smith

Paul Tagliabue

Steve Tasker

Aeneas Williams

They must drop 10 of these names tomorrow. Who do you think should be dropped? Obviously there is one mothershutyourmouth that needs to get bounced. (how the hell did he even get this far?). Who else?

Perhaps we should break this list down to more definable categories, (remember they only induct from 4-7 total):

WRs and TEs: Cliff Branch, Tim Brown, Chris Carter, Andre Reed, Jerry Rice, Shannon Sharpe

........Who gets in? Rice, a no brainer. I think Carter should. Can they justify a third receiver?

RBs: Roger Craig, Terrell Davis, Emmit Smith, plus Floyd Little.

.... The senior guys almost always get elected. Thus Little is in, and the other no brainer Smith

OL: Russ Grimm, Dermonti Dawson

.....with this group I see no more than one OL. If anyone goes in, it should be Grimm.

DEs: Richard Dent, Chris Doleman, Charles Haley, Kevin Greene.

.......In my memory, these guys are like all the same with Dent and Haley having a slight advantage. To me, a tossup

DTs: Cortez Kennedy, John Randle

.......to me, Randle would have the edge in this matchup. But, should he go in above those from other positions?

LBs: Ricky Jackson

...... My memory is a little vague about which LB spot Jackson played MLB or OLB. If it was OLB, he may have to be lumped in with the DEs for consideration. (I am thinking it was Sam Mills who played MLB for those Saints teams). Help me out here.

DBs: Lester Hayes, Aeneas Williams, plus Dick LeBeau.

.......Here too I think LeBeau gets in. And I think he would deserve it above the other two if you just had to pick one of these.

Special Teams: Ray Guy, Steve Tasker

.....hell, I would like to see then go ahead and put the punter in. WTF. Tasker a great STer, but not a HOFer.

Coaches/Contributors: Don Coryell, Art Modell, Paul Tagliabue

...obviously Ole F***face don't even belong this far. Personally, unless you are gonna put every single person who served as Commish in the HOF, why would Tags belong? I am also not so sure about Coryell. He never even made it to the Super Bowl. At least Marv Levy got to the SB 4 times. Was his "Air Coryell" system alone enough to warrant him HOF election? His teams never played defense. Of the three I would choose him, or none at all.

Bottom line, the 7 people to go into the HOF IMO: Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, Chris Carter, Dick LeBeau, Floyd Little, Russ Grimm and Ray Guy.

Cliff Branch should have been in a long time ago, as well as Lester Hayes. I'd also like to see Richard Dent get in. Grimm & Rice are slam dunks.

Clay Matthews was a complete LB, played 18 seasons...why isn't he even nominated, and Kevin Greene, strictly a pass-rush LB, is?

Do you guys think Hanford Dixon is HOF worthy? I know he didn't rack up alot of INTs, but he was a shut-down CB for several years, and we had virtually no pass rush.

Cliff Branch should have been in a long time ago, as well as Lester Hayes. I'd also like to see Richard Dent get in. Grimm & Rice are slam dunks.

Clay Matthews was a complete LB, played 18 seasons...why isn't he even nominated, and Kevin Greene, strictly a pass-rush LB, is?

Do you guys think Hanford Dixon is HOF worthy? I know he didn't rack up alot of INTs, but he was a shut-down CB for several years, and we had virtually no pass rush.

Several points: 1. Of the 6 receivers on the list, Branch is probably the one running in 6th place, no matter how good he may have been.

2. Grimm is no slam dunk because he has been up for consideration for 4 or 5 years now and hasn't made it in. But I agree, he should be in.

3. I don't know why Clay isn't being considered. Perhaps because his brother is in as an OL they figure the family has their share in the HOF?

4. I agree that Dixon is every bit the cornerback that Hayes was. But what does Hayes have that Hanford doesn't? A Super Bowl ring. It can come down to something as basic as that. If the Browns had made a couple of those SBs, he may have been in. That bad pass rush hurt him in that regard.

Archived