THE BROWNS BOARD

Stop worrying about Cribbs

K-TownBrown

The Board needs to stop freaking out over the Cribbs contract situation. Welcome to the art of negotiation. Both sides start with ridiculous offers and eventually meet in the middle. Holmgren has not hired a GM or decided who the coach will be next season. The Cribbs contract situation will not be resolved until both positions have been filled.

Holmgren won't let Cribbs walk. Holmgren knows that Cribbs is one of the few vocal leaders on this team devoid of quality players who can lead the team. If Holmgren let Josh walk, it would set off a fire storm in the Browns locker calling into question the new leadership in Cleveland. You need to have the team leaders buy into the system in order to have the rest of the gang join in. If you ship the leader, you lose the gang.

Cribbs isn't going anywhere, because where else can he go? He has three years remaining on his contract. A long-term holdout is not in Cribbs' best interest. Consequently, if he does demand a trade, Holmgren holds all the leverage. The great walrus could easily decide to not ship Cribbs and force him to play out the remainder of his contract at his rookie salary (not what Cribbs wants).

Both sides will eventually come to an agreement before next season begins, and it will be somewhere in the low 2 million ballpark with strong incentives tied to his development as a WR. So everyone, STOP FREAKING OUT and let negotiations play out instead of wanting a solution immediately. Why pay Cribbs $3 million today, when we can get him $1 million cheaper before the start of the season. That's MORE CAP SPACE for the Browns to improve. Quick knee jerk overpaying contracts is exactly what got Savage fired. Let's not repeat that mistake

It doesnt take an expert to see cribbs is worth way more than he has been offered as one regime after another says they will rework his contract but then dont...i cant blame JC for blowing up 1.4 mil is really an insulting offer to start with ,MH needs to just PAY THE MAN or he will ask for a trade and i cant blame him...

I would love for someone to begin by offering me a $700,000 raise over the next three years. He will get more than that but if the Browns initially offered $2 mill somewhere in the middle would be more like $3.5 mill. Incentives are important Maybe tied to total yards, receiving yards etc

It doesnt take an expert to see cribbs is worth way more than he has been offered as one regime after another says they will rework his contract but then dont...i cant blame JC for blowing up 1.4 mil is really an insulting offer to start with ,MH needs to just PAY THE MAN or he will ask for a trade and i cant blame him...

How is 1.4 an insulting offer ? Most of the well paid Kick returners also have a big role as WR or RB with their teams. Cribbs @ WR and RB has not succeed continuously for us. So why should he be paid top billing ?

The Board needs to stop freaking out over the Cribbs contract situation. Welcome to the art of negotiation. Both sides start with ridiculous offers and eventually meet in the middle. Holmgren has not hired a GM or decided who the coach will be next season. The Cribbs contract situation will not be resolved until both positions have been filled.

Holmgren won't let Cribbs walk. Holmgren knows that Cribbs is one of the few vocal leaders on this team devoid of quality players who can lead the team. If Holmgren let Josh walk, it would set off a fire storm in the Browns locker calling into question the new leadership in Cleveland. You need to have the team leaders buy into the system in order to have the rest of the gang join in. If you ship the leader, you lose the gang.

Cribbs isn't going anywhere, because where else can he go? He has three years remaining on his contract. A long-term holdout is not in Cribbs' best interest. Consequently, if he does demand a trade, Holmgren holds all the leverage. The great walrus could easily decide to not ship Cribbs and force him to play out the remainder of his contract at his rookie salary (not what Cribbs wants).

Both sides will eventually come to an agreement before next season begins, and it will be somewhere in the low 2 million ballpark with strong incentives tied to his development as a WR. So everyone, STOP FREAKING OUT and let negotiations play out instead of wanting a solution immediately. Why pay Cribbs $3 million today, when we can get him $1 million cheaper before the start of the season. That's MORE CAP SPACE for the Browns to improve. Quick knee jerk overpaying contracts is exactly what got Savage fired. Let's not repeat that mistake

thank you! anyone who knows anything at all about negotiations knows that you always start out small then work your way up from there. it's the intelligent thing to do.

also, have people forgot the key points in mh's presser that we loved so much? remember the refreshing and great points about collective decision making and making decisions together as a fo? why the hell would mh throw a boatload of doe at cribbs and he doesn't even have a gm or hc in place to discuss this with?

wow, mh didn't even have his presser yet and cribbs money grubbing agents were already blowing up mh's phone (all of this started before last mondays presser). do they realize that priority #1 for the browns is not signing a player? do they realize priority #1 is signing a gm and a hc?

cribbs agents are thirsty because they don't get paid until cribbs gets a new contract. it's not mh's fault that cribbs signed a bad deal, now cribbs and his money grubbing agents want mh to put structure and format to the side for their important cause. gee, maybe if they waited until a gm and hc were in place, things could've run alot smoother? they just had to go the dirty route and go through the media using us fans in their scheme. what's the damn rush, it's the begining of january for crying out loud.

i firmly believe that cribbs is letting his agents fill his head with alot of bad crap and it's making him look like an impatient whiney little bitch. f*ck a gm and a f*ck a hc, give me my damn money! i know it's just january, you don't have an fo set up yet and you just got here, so what. give me my damn money!

that's how it sounds to me, lame.

Cribbs cant walk even if he wants to his only way out is by a trade

Cardinals fan here.....and I can say definitively from an outsiders point of view, the organization is being very cheap with Cribbs.

There are plenty of teams that would sign him up in a heartbeat to a much better contract if he was a FA but I'm not sure that he'll demand much as a trade block offer.

I too used to be in the mindset of "you signed a contract, deal with it".....and to an extent, I still feel that way about the guys who are making double-digit millions and just want a new long term contract....but like someone else mentioned, NFL contracts are a joke and a team can cut you at any point.....not to mention, earning years are short in the NFL....

A guy like Cribbs is the best weapon you have on the team and has contributed above and beyond what his contract dictates......$2.5 million isn't going to kill any budget. But I can tell you that the cost of not paying it is probably doing more damage in the lockerroom than paying it. You're basically telling your team that this guy isn't valuable when they can clearly see he is.

Anyways, not my battle to fight, I'm just saying lots of teams would love to have him on their roster and for more than $1 million a year.

Will it make or break your team? No, probably not....but to me, the beneft he brings is worth more than the price tag associated with it.

Cardinals fan here.....and I can say definitively from an outsiders point of view, the organization is being very cheap with Cribbs.

There are plenty of teams that would sign him up in a heartbeat to a much better contract if he was a FA but I'm not sure that he'll demand much as a trade block offer.

I too used to be in the mindset of "you signed a contract, deal with it".....and to an extent, I still feel that way about the guys who are making double-digit millions and just want a new long term contract....but like someone else mentioned, NFL contracts are a joke and a team can cut you at any point.....not to mention, earning years are short in the NFL....

A guy like Cribbs is the best weapon you have on the team and has contributed above and beyond what his contract dictates......$2.5 million isn't going to kill any budget. But I can tell you that the cost of not paying it is probably doing more damage in the lockerroom than paying it. You're basically telling your team that this guy isn't valuable when they can clearly see he is.

Anyways, not my battle to fight, I'm just saying lots of teams would love to have him on their roster and for more than $1 million a year.

Will it make or break your team? No, probably not....but to me, the beneft he brings is worth more than the price tag associated with it.

he wants more then double that (from what ive read his agents want him to be the highest paid return man in the NFL and Hester is at about 5.5 mil)

thank you, i've been meaning to say this for days. You hit the nail on the head completely. Everyone including Holmgren realizes he's the glue of the team right now. It's not as simple as saying "pay the man whatever he wants, he's our best player!" It's called negotiation folks. You start low ball, listen to what he wants, and go back and forth.

The only thing that bothers me is it sounds like Cribbs has some shitty, extremely greedy agents. But If i'm sure of one thing, it's that Cribbs will get paid and be on this team.

How is 1.4 an insulting offer ? Most of the well paid Kick returners also have a big role as WR or RB with their teams. Cribbs @ WR and RB has not succeed continuously for us. So why should he be paid top billing ?

That's a little unfair if you ask me. Nobody has been continously succeeding in Cleveland, not Edwards, Winslow, the coaches, the QB's especially. When you cannot get the ball into your playmakers hands regularly, and don't have the building blocks for success, then nobody can succeed.

Cribbs has 6.9 yards per carry on 55 carries in 2009. In the last 3 years he leads the league in combined yardage, over guys like A Peterson, D Sproiles and T Ginn. To say he cannot be a WR is a little premature when you have guys who cannot play QB.

Most of the KR's that are ranked below Cribbs make $3-5M a year. For what this kid does I don't think $2.3 - $2.7 is too much to ask. The more opportunities you give him the more he will produce on offense.

Like Jerome Harrison, if you give him the chance he will repay you.

Archived