THE BROWNS BOARD

Tim Hiller, or LeFevor sp? from Central Michigan..

calfoxwc

I just thought this was interesting - this guy sounds like a smarter DA who loves the game,

and he's a big Browns fan...

Tim Hiller

2010 NFL Draft Prospect

Western Michigan

Quarterback

Ht: 6' 5" 230 lbs.

Strengths: Size, Arm Strength, Production, Leadership, Decision Making

Weaknesses: Accuracy, Footwork, Level of Competition

If Western Michigan QB Tim Hiller can follow up his fantastic 2008 season (3,725 yards and 36 TD) with another superb year, the 6'5" 230lbs, 2008 All-MAC 3rd team pick will be in serious contention for the right to be the first QB drafted in 2010. Provided, of course, that Sam Bradford stays in Oklahoma.

Hiller has become only the second Western Michigan QB to throw for 30+ TD in a season and more than 3,000 yards twice in a career. His 36 TD broke the school single season record as well. He now has 76 TD in three years (he missed 2006 with a knee injury and will be a fifth year senior in 2009) and has passed for more than 8,000 yards. The only thing left for Hiller is a Bowl victory.

The Broncos lost to Cincinnati in the 2007 Independence Bowl and then got thumped by Rice 38-14 in the 2008 Texas Bowl. It's also unlikely, but Hiller could contend for a Heisman Trophy as well next year.

Since arm strength seems to be the end all for quarterbacks anymore, we can start there with Hiller's strengths. His arm strength is excellent, one of the best in college football, better than Bradford and Colt McCoy. Hiller also possesses prototype pocket passer size and projects as that rarity in the pros. He sees the field very well and will generally make good decisions. He seems to have learned quite a bit from his down 2007 year after the injury (20 TD, 15 INT) and showed much improved decision making in 2008. He's accurate from the pocket and has good feel for blitz pick up. On deep throws, he consistently puts the ball over the receivers shoulder and gets very good trajectory. Hiller should take on even more of a leadership role in 2009.

Despite being a 64.5% passer, Hiller does not consistently hit targets on short to intermediate routes. Western Michigan's offense gives him lots of time and lots of open lanes to find targets. With receivers Jamarko Simmons, Schneider Julien, Juan Nunez and TE Brandon Ledbetter, Hiller had plenty of options to choose from in the passing game, and with the graduations of Simmons, Julien and Ledbetter, Hiller will have to prove he can repeat his impressive performance surrounded by less skilled players. Playing in a spread offense, he will need time to adjust to a pro offense and will need work on his footwork. His delivery could be faster as well.

There are quite a few questions about Hiller because of his offense, surrounding talent for much of his career (including emerging RB Brandon West) and his level of competition. That said, his size and arm are NFL caliber and with coaching he can improve on his flaws. Right now Hiller projects as a 3rd or 4th round pick but it's early (very early) and Hiller could explode this year and push his name into first round consideration, if not #1 overall.

Tim Hiller Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

Position: QB

School & Year/Status: Western Michigan - Senior

Jersey Number: #3

Height & Weight: 6-5 - 234 lbs.

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Tim Hiller, QB, Western Michigan

The Mid-American Conference has put some great quarterbacks in the NFL recently and despite the fact that Tim Hiller has not put up the best numbers of the current crop of MAC signal callers, he may be the best suited to play at the next level. Hiller started five games as a true freshman and threw for 20 touchdowns and just three interceptions. Those impressive numbers earned him MAC Freshman of the Year honors. However, in the last game of the 2005 season, Hiller injured his knee and missed the entire 2006 campaign. He was back in 2007 and became just the second Western Michigan quarterback to ever throw for over 3,000 yards in a season. In 2008 Hiller broke just about every team record, completing 339 of his 522 attempts for 3,725 yards and 36 touchdowns.

Hiller is on pace to nearly equal that output in 2009. Through eight games he has already tallied an impressive 2,254 passing yards. But it is not just about the numbers on the field when projecting Hiller to the NFL. It is about some other numbers. He is 6-5 and 234 pounds.

It is that size that makes him a legitimate quarterback at the next level and there is no reason that he should not be considered one of the ten best senior quarterbacks when projecting them to the NFL.

Last Updated Oct-26-2009 by Joel Welser

Tim Hiller

School: Western Michigan

Position:

•QB

Year: Senior

Hometown: Orrville, OH

Date of Birth: 12.13.86

Height: 6040

Weight: 228

40 T: 5.00

Projection: 5th Round

Class: 2010 Big Board

Latest: Last season Hiller started all 13 games and broke the Western Michigan single-season records for passing attempts (522), completions (339), yards (3,725), and touchdowns (36). He also completed 64.9 percent of his passes while throwing only ten interceptions. He has good size for a quarterback at 6-4 230 and can make all the throws that will are required at the next level. Hiller is mostly a pocket passer and although he isn’t a runner, he is a good enough athlete to move around and avoid the rush.

SCOUT'S TAKE

Skinny: Last season Hiller started all 13 games and broke a number of Western Michigan single-season records for passing attempts with 522, completions with 339, yards with 3,725 and touchdowns with 36. He also completed 64.9 percent of his passes while only throwing ten interceptions. He has good size for a quarterback at 6’4, 230 and can make all the throws that will be asked of him at the next level.

Stock: Hiller is mostly a pocket passer but is a good enough of an athlete to scramble and avoid the rush but isn’t much of a runner. Right now he has a third-to-fourth round grade.

NEWS

11.23.09 - The skinny kid from Orrville, Ohio, who showed up five years ago with an awkward throwing motion and an average arm is a surprisingly certain NFL prospect — in part, because of the strength of his arm and the mechanics of his throwing motion. Folks in the NFL like that he ran a complex offense in college, one that required him to read defenses and get his team into the right play. They like that he’s beaten big-time programs and how he interacts with his young receivers. “I tell (scouts) all the time, and I think they believe it, if there’s a smarter guy in college football right now than him, I’d love to see it,” coach Bill Cubit said. “Because what he does for us, I tell guys and they kind of look at me like, ‘Wow,’ because you don’t see it in college anymore. I’m getting good feedback, which a lot of times you don’t get any feedback.” Cubit sees Hiller’s talents as better suited for the next level than the college game. And doesn’t think his surgically repaired knees should be much of an issue, though durability is among the biggest concerns of the stream of scouts dropping by practices. “His understanding of defenses and all the cheats of the defenses and the coverages and the blitzes and stuff like that,” Cubit said, shaking his head, standing in the same spot on the Waldo Stadium turf where he once discussed his freshman quarterback’s cumbersome throwing motion. “ ... You go in a meeting right now, ‘How about this blitz here, how do you know it’s coming?’ ‘Well, this guy’s cheating here, this guy’s cheating there and this guy’s over here.’ - Kalamazoo Gazette

10.10.09 - Western Michigan needed to rebound from a road loss and did so in a big way with a convincing 58-26 win over Toledo at the Glass Bowl on Saturday night. Tim Hiller tied Bronco great Tim Lester for the program record with 87 career TD passes, also tying Lester for third on the MAC career list. Hiller started his string of first half TD passes early, connecting with Jordan White on the Broncos' first offensive play from scrimmage for the 54-yard score. At the time it tied him with Toledo's Bruce Gradkowski for fifth on the MAC career list at 85 since CMU's Dan LeFevour moved into fourth alone with three passing scores of his own earlier in the day. Hiller, who finished with 270 yards on 16-of-26 passing (61.5 percent) joined his MAC West counterpart at the 10:59 mark of the first quarter, connecting again with White from 19 yards out to give WMU a 14-0 lead and Hiller his 86th career scoring strike.

05.21.09 - After the Broncos bowl loss to Rice, coach Bill Cubit announced that Hiller had played the back half of the season with a torn ACL. He spent the spring recovering from it and will be a key returner for the Broncos run for the MAC West.

04.30.09 - Western Michigan quarterback Tim Hiller, along with a group of 22 others, will travel to the island nation of Trinidad for a ministry mission, beginning today (April 30). Hiller’s devotion to community service and his faith has known no boundaries during his time in the Brown & Gold and now he expands his efforts across the boundaries of the United States to continue his efforts.

04.10.09 - Tim Hiller was announced as the 2009 Male Michigan College Athlete of the Year by the Detroit Athletic Club on Friday, April 10. Hiller, who set seven Western Michigan single-season and game records en route to leading the Broncos to the 2008 Texas Bowl, becomes the first Bronco to win the collegiate award. “It is a great honor to receive this award and being the first Bronco to do so makes it all the more special to me. I thank the Detroit Athletic Club and all those on the committee for this recognition,” commented Hiller.

I have talked about hiller in numerous posts, he had no talent around him this season and he still put numbers up, West Mich had no Defense so the record this year isnt that great. He was in the same high school league as my high school (Ohio Cardinal Conference) I would love to get him he will be a late round pick unless he amazes scouts at the combine and work outs.

Very smart which Mangini likes, kid was a 4.0 student and is working on a masters degree. Had a few injuries in college but was really good when he came in as a freshman and hit up Greg Jennings and Tony Scheffler. I think it would be a good late pick but I am bias since he is from around where I live. (Holmes county) very few players even get D1 offers around here. He was recruited by Louisville when they were winning big time as well but went for playing time at West Mich.

Archived