THE BROWNS BOARD

Harrison

scubadhp

Harrison has his way with the defense for 2 or 3 series, yet he isn't in when the game is on the line. Can anyone come up with a halfway decent excuse why?

I think he got injured when he slammed into the bench. Otherwise he would have been back in. . . or so I would hope.

I think he got injured when he slammed into the bench. Otherwise he would have been back in. . . or so I would hope.

I didn't hear them say what happened to Harrison.

But, whatever the reason, after his long run he only touched the ball two more times, the nine-yard run and penalty and the long wheel route catch.

Can we PLEASE get this guy in the game more? We need to move to an official committee system at RB already. Enough with Lewis 3.5 yard average.

Wouldn't matter if he hurt his hammy or not, that's what they normally give him a game. Meanwhile, we get to watch Lewis cut into the box for two yards when one outside cut gets him ten or Harrison yard.

I think that Harrison is a serious playmaker and JL is on his way out. While I won't disregard JL's contribution (his 'smashmouth' style does damage - even if minimally in some games) it seems like everytime Harrison is on the field the Offense gels. Plus BQ has to be more comfortable with Harrison since they're played together on second string for so long.

we definitely need to move to a running back committee system. it's painfully obvious that jamal lewis simply isn't getting it done. plus, the best running teams in the NFL use committee systems. the giants are the best example. their 3-headed monster has power and speed that defenses can't adjust to.

harrison and lewis could be effective like willie parker and jerome bettis were and we could actually run the ball effectively. lewis 3.5 ypc is killing us on first down, when we always run. plus, if lewis is averaging 3.5 per carry, then there are a substantial amount of times that he actually gets less than 3.5.

we really need to find a viable second running back (to back up harrison once the new staff anoints him the starter). this year's draft is gonna be crucial.

we definitely need to move to a running back committee system. it's painfully obvious that jamal lewis simply isn't getting it done. plus, the best running teams in the NFL use committee systems. the giants are the best example. their 3-headed monster has power and speed that defenses can't adjust to.

harrison and lewis could be effective like willie parker and jerome bettis were and we could actually run the ball effectively. lewis 3.5 ypc is killing us on first down, when we always run. plus, if lewis is averaging 3.5 per carry, then there are a substantial amount of times that he actually gets less than 3.5.

we really need to find a viable second running back (to back up harrison once the new staff anoints him the starter). this year's draft is gonna be crucial.

I tell you what...I sure would have liked to handoff the ball to Brandon Jacobs at the end of the last three games. <_<

I tell you what...I sure would have liked to handoff the ball to Brandon Jacobs at the end of the last three games. <_<

I agree. I think that could be Jamal in the 4th quarter if we moved Harrison to be our feature back, and spell him with a down of Jamal here & there. From everything I've seen, Harrison is an underrated, bigger Reggie Bush. Quinn threw a good (can I say 'great,' or is that faggy?) ball on that floater and Harrison's high-wire act footwork to pick up the extra yards on the sideline was really remarkable. Embarrassing for me as a fan of this organization that he doesnt get at least 10 touches a game. Jamal looked improved the series immediately following the Harrison show. The between the tackles play calling for JL should be reserved for the goal line, following Heiden & Vickers/Ali. That's it. Not between the 20's.

Feature Harrison, spread the D with him on his runs and then screen him up the middle. He's got the effing hands and the moves/ speed. If we get a little better protection up the middle from our Line, this horseshit "what if" re: Harrison's blitz pickups dont matter as Quinn is mobile enough to buy some time to let Harrison set up a screen in the middle or the flats. WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE ROCKET SCIENCE?

Gee, I wonder why he blew his hammy, let the guy run down the field on special teams.... sit him on the bench in 25 degree weather.

Put him in for 2 to 3 plays, let him bust out big yards running down field on cold muscles, and blow his hammy.

Now it could have been because he was thrown into a bench, but I don't think that was the case, he went shoulder first.

Either way, it's BS that Harrison isn't on the field and getting the bulk of the touches, he can catch, slash, go inside, go outside. But he doesn't pick up the blitz you say? Ok, well maybe you can COACH him and make him better in that area?

He saved our ass last night with the TD run and the third down grab and run. Game ball goes to this guy for sure.

Bringing a fresh Lewis into the game during the 4th quarter for short yardage sounds fine to me, but obviously it requires another RB to share the load.

Don't give up on Lewis, just use him wisely, and stop the useless beatings he takining on dumb play calling. He is one of the few Browns who is earning his check.

Don't give up on Lewis, just use him wisely, and stop the useless beatings he takining on dumb play calling. He is one of the few Browns who is earning his check.

He stutter-steps before he hits the line of scrimmage and completely screws all his momentum. The guy has forgotten how to hit the line/hole effectively and quickly. You'll notice that when he doesn't hesitate in the backfield he gets 8 yards a carry. The second he starts dancing around he gets clobbered. He needs to just plow forward before the defense has a chance to bulldoze him. He's losing it... and we have an exciting, extremely viable option that should be out there for at least half of his snaps.

He stutter-steps before he hits the line of scrimmage and completely screws all his momentum. The guy has forgotten how to hit the line/hole effectively and quickly. You'll notice that when he doesn't hesitate in the backfield he gets 8 yards a carry. The second he starts dancing around he gets clobbered. He needs to just plow forward before the defense has a chance to bulldoze him. He's losing it... and we have an exciting, extremely viable option that should be out there for at least half of his snaps.

Thats exactly what i stated, he's trying to keep his feet moving and it did look like his dancing slowed him down. I think his role needs to be more defined, when Buffalo let him get around the end, i about choked. Somebody's running laps in Buff this morning.

Jamal Lewis looks painfully slow.... he's lost more like 2 steps, let alone one. I admit that on short-yardage situations, Lewis should be in there... more durable and powerful. But who's to say that Harrison shouldn't be in the huddle and 1st and 2nd down? Opposing teams might say "alright, Lewis is behind Quinn on this play, and it's 3rd and short, so a run play is coming." This is a perfect time for some play action. The Browns just don't mix it up enough. I loved the Cribbs TD... another example of thinking outside the box. The Browns should use the Giants as an example of running back-by-committee. :::sigh:::

I honestly think using Harrison/ Lewis like the Steelers used Parker/ Bettis would help us out a lot.

Just keep Lewis for the short yardage/ goal line plays and let Harrison get at least half the reps.

Lewis could benefit from the rest, Harrison would benefit from the increased touches.

Posted 25 minutes ago...

Terry Pluto: The Browns simply have to get Jerome Harrison on the field

Posted by Terry Pluto November 18, 2008 13:40PM

CHUCK CROW / THE PLAIN DEALER

Jerome Harrison rolls on his way to a 72-yard touchdown run against Buffalo on Monday.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y -- Scribbles in my notebook as the Browns won, 29-27, at Buffalo.

-- This gets old because I have been writing about it for two years with two different newspapers, but what does Jerome Harrison have to do to get on the field more often. Not to take the starting job from Jamal Lewis, but simply to see more action. You saw the stunning 72-yard run against Buffalo. And the 21-yard catch was superb. But he had only four touches? That's it? On the season, he has carried the ball 20 times for 207 yards. He has caught seven passes for 103 yards. He makes plays. Football is a game where you can design plays to put the ball in the hands of playmakers.

-- More Harrison: He has caught passes for 26, 23, 21, and 19 yards this season. He has runs of 72, 33, 16, and 12 yards. So he has gamed at least 12 yards in 8-of-27 times he has touched the ball. Yet he had only one carry in the first three games of the season. Before the last two games against Buffalo and Denver, Harrison had only two total carries in the Baltimore and Jacksonville games. I don't care that he struggles to block blitzing linebackers, put him in a position where he doesn't have to do that -- and he can make plays.

-- Even more Harrison: For his career, he has 409 yards in 63 carries (6.5 average). He has caught 18 passes for 169 yards (9.4). As a senior at Washington State, he led the PAC-10 with 1,900 yards rushing, even more than Reggie Bush. He gained at least 100 yards in his last 14 college games, four times going over 200 yards. He is not a gimmick player, he has a history of success as a regular in a good conference. He can be another Greg Pruitt. If he started for a decent team, he'd gain 1,000 yards.

-- I heard from a few fans and media types that Brady Quinn had a "rookie game" in Buffalo. No, a "rookie game" would be throwing three interceptions. It would mean he was rattled by the crowd noise, that he had trouble getting his team lined up and the plays called. It would mean guys jumping offsides, and timeouts wasted. None of that happened. In fact, the Browns have had only five total penalties and one false start (Braylon Edwards vs. Denver) in the two games started by Quinn.

-- Quinn is right to say he "left some points on the field." He did not have a brilliant game. He was a bit predictable on his snap counts, which allowed some of the blitzers to get a good jump for their rush. He completed only 14-of-36 passes. But no interceptions. No turnovers. No sense of panic. He had control of the huddle. He looked experienced, even if he wasn't always sharp on a frigid night when it was hard to grip, throw and catch the ball.

-- According to my unofficial count, Quinn threw 16 times (yes, 16!) to Braylon Edwards, who caught eight. I had him with at least three drops. He did make a couple of tough catches. It was a strange game for Edwards. In the first and fourth quarters, he caught 1-of-9 passes. To be fair, not all were on target. But in the second and third quarters, he was 7-of-7. I sensed the Browns and Quinn were trying to force the ball to him on some plays, which makes no sense. Kellen Winslow (10-of-14 in the Denver game) caught 3-of-9 at Buffalo.

-- I don't know what to say about the Browns tackling other than it's embarrassing. Some readers were unhappy when I wrote that part of the problem was a lack of speed. But that is a factor, because slow players can be faked out, they miss badly and don't get into proper tackling position in time. But in other cases, it's simply being sloppy. Overall, Shaun Rogers has been excellent and D'Qwell Jackson has done a pretty good job in this area. But that's about it. Which makes me wonder why Beau Bell can't see a little action. Isn't tackling supposed to be what he does best?

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/11/t...wns_simply.html

Archived