THE BROWNS BOARD

MANGINI & COACHING STAFF WILL RETURN

eggo31

Well...Holmgren got ONE thing right! Now he needs to get his head out of his ass and give Cribbs a legitimate offer! Pay him like he's the best returner in the game and like he's the most exciting and valuable player on the team!

Please- you think Holmgren doesn't know that? He's got a few more high priority items on his agenda, like hiring a GM, straightening out the FO, and making sure the scouting department is shipshape for the upcoming draft. I'd say re-doing Josh's contract is about 10th on his to-do list right now.

The Cleveland.com poll (last time I looked) had 96% of the fans saying $1.4 mill ain't enough for JC. Hard to believe they'd lowball Cribs like that, and if it was Dawn Aponante's idea, she should be fired immediately. Cribbs doesn't deserve $5 million a year, but then again neither does Devin Hester.

Finally, however this turns out (and I think it's the start of great things) Holmgren's gonna come out smelling like a rose. Mangini succeds- and MH can say- "told ya so." He flops and "well, we really tried to make a go of it, but it didn't work." "Come on down, Jon Gruden or John Fox."

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing..I just checked PFT.com and no mention of anything Mangini by Florio..and nothing here from Joesixpat..I swear I think there the same guy..I'll ask you again Mike/Joe are you the same person? I am so looking forward to the draft and next year..

I was thinking how happy is Mangini is not to be the only voice coming out of Berea regardless of the situation..He's probably looking forward to saying "you'll have to ask Mike that question'

Finally, however this turns out (and I think it's the start of great things) Holmgren's gonna come out smelling like a rose. Mangini succeds- and MH can say- "told ya so." He flops and "well, we really tried to make a go of it, but it didn't work." "Come on down, Jon Gruden or John Fox."

It's a nice bonus that there are folks waiting in the wings. Holmgren can coach, too, if need be. Based on Holmgren's statement that he has, in the past, delayed making the tough decision to let people go, finding that it had been a mistake to wait, I believe he sincerely is convinced this is the right team to start with. I don't think he would have hesitated for a second to show Mangini and company the door if he hadn't really been impressed. Holmgren is also the right guy to help attract and hire the best GM. And I like him as the face of the organization. Randy Lerner was either absent or completely not credible in that role.

I like how both Mangini and Holmgren respond to the media, too. This really could be the start of something fantastic.

I ask myself, "What WILL the naysayers do with themselves?" But I was reminded by my sister of one time when the Browns won a fantastic game yet the PD headline and accompanying article was all about the losing visiting team. I think the naysayers will still find plenty to nag about.

I ask myself, "What WILL the naysayers do with themselves?" But I was reminded by my sister of one time when the Browns won a fantastic game yet the PD headline and accompanying article was all about the losing visiting team. I think the naysayers will still find plenty to nag about.

There's a group of media and fans that just think Mangini sucked no matter what happened. They'll never understand progress, chemistry and continuity because they just aren't wired to do so. All one has to do is compare the final 8 weeks of 08 to the final 8 weeks of 09 to see the difference in ability to score TDs in the absence of competant QBing. That shouldn't equate to expectations of Superbowl and Playoffs in just 1 new season.

BEST example is how he allegedly completely messed up the Qb situation when things were just so perfect with that position before Mangini was hired. I mean he just didn't follow the plain Dealer's suggestions to START Quinn on the first day of mini-camp. WHY on earth would he want to see for himself when the Plain Dealer had all the answers? On the contrary, I thought it was comforting to know that if 1 guy got injured or didn't perform up to snuff - the OTHER guy had some degree of chemistry and enough reps to be ready to go. After Quinn barely got the starting (not to be confused with slam dunking the opportunity), performance and injury dictated we needed that other guy ready RIGHT? This might be worth noting, this was Quinn's 2nd straight season of landing on IR.

And for those that JUST cannot get it: Mangini didn't CREATE/INVENT chaos with the 2 QBs - he received it from RAC and Savage. Since the salaries were already committed by Opie plus 31 other teams said "no thanks" to DA's availability - all Mangini did was try to make the best of it. Winning in spite of either QB with a completion percentage accuracy rate of 32-47% was the best magic show I've seen since in this lifetime. Just being honest.

I think getting Alex Mack and defensive starters like David Bowens, Abe Elam, Eric Barton and some defensive rotation guys was better for this team than an inexperienced Mark Sanchez. If Mangini didn't INHERIT the BQ/DA controversy maybe there might have been room for a young, cocky prospect at QB. Then again, wouldn't all the naysayers bellyache about THREE heavy salaried commitments to QBs when only 1 can start? You know they would.

FWIW, my advice to everyone is this is the first 4 game winning streak since BB accomplished this in the early 90s. I liked what this staff did as a group in improving the team and the mindset. We have alot of young guys buying into the system and looking forward to being here for more of it. Usually in December, guys like Winslow and Edwards and various high paid free agents in the past were just putting their time in, cashing game checks and dreaming about being anywhere but Cleveland the next year.

- Tom F.

Whether they can work together is an obvious prerequisite but IMHO, b/c of the lack of familiarity between the two, I believe Mangini had to impress the hell out of Holmgren. No one would've questioned Holgrem if he let go of Mangini....in fact, that's what most were expecting. But the fact that Mangini and his entire coaching staff are retained with such ringing endorsement about his "process" suggests to me that Holgrem wasn't just giving lip service.

honestly, i think he must have impressed the hell out of Bernie Kosar, Jim Brown, and Randy Lerner. who else in the organization has as much clout as them?

honestly, i think he must have impressed the hell out of Bernie Kosar, Jim Brown, and Randy Lerner. who else in the organization has as much clout as them?

I'm hoping Holmgren has more clout than Jim Brown and Bernie. Lerner should have one primary voice that he listens to now and it is Holmgren's

well sure, but as the new president holding the franchise's future in the balance of the head coach decision, who do you think he's gonna ask around the building about the job EM has been doing?

aside from some FO people he's probably about to axe--and the Big Show ain't fooling with Zak Jackson--who has the Browns best interest at heart without personal agenda more than those three? who else would love to see them succeed more? but yeah, it's nicely streamlined now and this is now moot.

There is no doubt in my mind that Holmgren interviewed key personnel within the Browns organization. I think it's also true (as you indicated) that Mangini impressed Bernie Kosar and Jim Brown. Otherwise, Holmgren wouldn't say " Eric has gained the respect and admiration of players, coaches and others in the organization".

I can't remember the coach's name but I read an article regarding the QB coach (I think) telling the media that they missed it with Eric. In fact, I believe there was a thread about it as well. I distinctly remember being struck by the conviction in his statements and feel that it's a good testament to how Mangini is thought of in the locker.

Archived