THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Cribbs cleans out locker, feels like "it's over.''

bonedawg

He can clean out is locker all he wants, where does he think he is going?

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns Pro Bowl all-purpose star Josh Cribbs cleaned out his locker in Berea today, said his good-byes and told The Plain Dealer he feels like he's played his last down of football for the Cleveland Browns.

"I said good-bye to some people on the medical staff, some of the equipment guys and the coaches,'' he said. "I wished the coaches luck and told them I hoped they kept their job. But it absolutely felt like the last time I'd be setting foot inside the building. I feel like it's over for me in Cleveland.''

Cribbs said he was thrilled that Browns coach Eric Mangini kept his job, and said he felt like he contributed to that decision.

"I'd like to think that some of my play over those last four games helped those guys keep their jobs, including my two kickoff returns for touchdowns against Kansas City,'' he said. "I wonder how many jobs would've been lost if I hadn't laid it on the line for them every single week?''

Cribbs said the Browns' $1.4 million a year offer feels "like I've been betrayed and stabbed in the back. I'm not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner. I'm so much more than that.''

Cribbs said based on the "take it or leave it offer'' he's not at all optimistic about being back and that he'll most likely demand a trade in the near future.

"There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,'' he said. "They won't let me sit, because I have value. They'd be forced to trade me.''

Cribbs said "I'm shocked they make me an offer like that after all I've done for this team. They told me to be the good soldier and prove it on the field and I did that. I can't be told to wait again. I just don't see it happening now.''

Cribbs' agents said Wednesday that Cribbs will leave the team by the start of the league year March 4 if his contract is not re-done. They were miffed that several messages to Dawn Aponte, vice president of football administration, and new president Mike Holmgren were not returned, even when given a deadline of 5 p.m Tuesday to do so.

As for Holmgren retaining Mangini, Cribbs said, "that's a good decision by Mike Holmgren. He's the right man for the job. Guys have started to buy into his system. I feel like a good football mind would know that coach Mangini has this team going in the right direction. I can't see another coach coming in here and creating the impact that he's done so far. I feel like that's a job well done right there.''

They told me to be the good soldier and prove it on the field and I did that. I can't be told to wait again. I just don't see it happening now.''

Mangini did tell him this at the start of the season. Long story short Josh shut his mouth, ante'd up and played hard nosed football. Now that Mangini is back I think he'll have some pull on this decision.

There is worse players and worse mistakes to be made then giving a talent like Josh Cribbs 2.5 mill. That salary number certainly isn't a hinderance.

You'll get yours Mr. Cribbs, let the dust settle in the front office first.

this isnt a story

every player cleans out his locker

every player says goodbye to the med staff after the year since they change every year or 2

same with Equipment guys

Cribbs said the Browns' $1.4 million a year offer feels "like I've been betrayed and stabbed in the back. I'm not just insulted by the number, but by the fact they consider me just a kick returner. I'm so much more than that.''

Cribbs said based on the "take it or leave it offer'' he's not at all optimistic about being back and that he'll most likely demand a trade in the near future.

"There's no way I'll play another down for the Browns without the new contract,'' he said. "They won't let me sit, because I have value. They'd be forced to trade me.''

also this part just shows how much of a jackass he really is

he is just a KR he had 20 catches for 185 yards and 1 TD and had 350 Rush yards for 1 TD

Derek Anderson had more Rushing TDs does that mean we should consider him more then a QB?

lawrence Vickers had 1 reciving TD does that mean we should consider him more then a FB?

he has done nothing in his career ever outside of being a KR

gimme a break!!! Dude is under contract for 3 more years...he can't play anywhere else....PERIOD! you think he's gonna sit for three years? MH been here two freaking days...probably just got an office today, doesn't have HIS staff to do any negotiations yet...jesus, give MH a time to take a shower first man !

gimme a break!!! Dude is under contract for 3 more years...he can't play anywhere else....PERIOD! you think he's gonna sit for three years? MH been here two freaking days...probably just got an office today, doesn't have HIS staff to do any negotiations yet...jesus, give MH a time to take a shower first man !

ALL Part of the Bargaining Process. A little posing ...

Cribbs getting near what he's chasing would'nt bother me one bit. Agreed he has to comply with his contract term, but I really believe his f%$king agent is filling his head with Kordell Stewart syndrome like contract hopes (prior to QB Kordell - when he was slash). Cribbs needs to hang around, build his talents elsewhere on the field and then his numbers will rise. As this program rises, his popularity will too and he can then, in another year, maybe 2 chase his own value. I sincerely hope Mangini steps in on his behalf with Holmgren and is able to somewhat satisfy Cribbs' wants. We need this guy back for the latest Browns team.

Guys dumping on Cribbs sucks. This team sucked A$$ for the first 3/4 of the seaon and the ONLY positive we could talk to anyone about was Josh Cribbs. He kept hope alive and deserves the respect he's earned in doing so !

Geezus, Cribbs should just stop with the whiny Twitter messages and announcements about cleaning out his locker. In fact, just STFU completely and let your agent deal with it. If his agents are telling him to go public they are seriously misreading the situation. The Browns aren't going to suddenly fold their hand because of a couple newspaper articles, in fact they are likely to harden their position against these agents portraying them as liars in the press. Who really has the leverage here? It isn't Cribbs, he is under contract for the next three and if he doesn't report to camp they don't HAVE to trade him and he sure as hell can't play anywhere else other than the CFL and they aren't going to meet his salary demands either! While many of us fans think Cribbs should get a better deal, they aren't going to head down to Berea and set up a picket line for a guy crying about how 1.4 MILLION dollars a year is an insult. You signed that deal Josh and they gave you a sweet signing bonus. The Browns don't HAVE to renegotiate anything so stop crying to the press and tell your agents to negotiate quietly and something will probably get done.

I think Holmgren is busy doing Czar stuff right now, and is trying to get people in place to give Cribbs his contract, and his mouthy agents want to stir up trouble just as he got off the plane. Holmgren probably lowballed him just to piss off his mouthy agents. Cribbs will get a contract, and Holmgren will not overpay, and it will be fair.

Holmgren does not want to pull a Kosar/Belichick thing with the fans right from the start, unless Cribbs gets us a 1st round draft pick.

A friend of my remarked that Cribbs isn't helping himself with all of this public ranting, tweeting and whatever. I'm inclined to agree. It's a business negotiation that should be done in private. I also don't think Cribbs is getting as much support from the fans as he expected.

i love josh cribbs, but come on man. you have to know that there are more important things to do on this team right now. holmgren is still in his first week and he is deciding if he needed a new coach and is looking for a gm. you have to know that these two things alone are the most important things on the agenda right now. i think that josh either does know this or did before his agent got in his ear. this douche bag agent must have told cribbs that he could get him 3 mil a year on the first stage of negotiations. has this agent ever negotiated before? does he not know that the team always starts low and you have to get him to work their way up? what an ass. this agent is the reason why cribbs is thinking the way he is.

cribbs isn't completely innocent though. he is a grown man who makes his own decisions. he has to know that the off season is long and that you rarely get a contract done on the first offer. please josh, stop listening to your a-hole agent and be patient. these things don't happen overnight. the more cribbs makes a big deal out of it the less likely holmgren is to give in to him. for those of you out there with kids: how often do you give in to your kids when they pout and whine and scream and throw a tantrum? never. this is what is going to happen if cribbs doesn't relax a little bit.

I heard a good interview with him yesterday afternoon on Sirius Radio, he backed tracked a little about the trade demand. Said he has not asked for one yet and doesn't want to unless the Browns don't earnestly try to give him a fair new contract.

He sounded very frustrated and betrayed by the Browns organization because the Savage regime promised to redo his deal if he outplayed it then Savage got fired. Mangini said he would redo his deal after this year if he performed again beyond expectations, he did but Mangini is no longer the head honcho in the Browns organization any more.

He sounded very humble and briefly talked about his ongoing charity work and a new business he just opened up in Cleveland - a bouncy house/video game arcade for kids. Doesn't seem like a man who wants to leave Cleveland.

He also brought up KR/PR/Back up DB Roscoe Parrish of the Bills makes $3.2 million. WTF? This is the same guy whose fumble late in Buffalo territory caused them the game against the Browns and in the first week of the season to New England. If this guy makes this kind of money to lose 2 games a year for Buffalo the Browns should at least pay the same to Cribbs who almost single handedly won us 2 games this year. Said the Browns low balled him with a $1.4 million per year offer. IMO he deserves Parrish money but I wouldn't pay him Hester money - Hester's agent robbed the Bears in that one. Pay the man what he's worth and keep him in Cleveland.

Geezus, Cribbs should just stop with the whiny Twitter messages and announcements about cleaning out his locker. In fact, just STFU completely and let your agent deal with it. If his agents are telling him to go public they are seriously misreading the situation. The Browns aren't going to suddenly fold their hand because of a couple newspaper articles, in fact they are likely to harden their position against these agents portraying them as liars in the press. Who really has the leverage here? It isn't Cribbs, he is under contract for the next three and if he doesn't report to camp they don't HAVE to trade him and he sure as hell can't play anywhere else other than the CFL and they aren't going to meet his salary demands either! While many of us fans think Cribbs should get a better deal, they aren't going to head down to Berea and set up a picket line for a guy crying about how 1.4 MILLION dollars a year is an insult. You signed that deal Josh and they gave you a sweet signing bonus. The Browns don't HAVE to renegotiate anything so stop crying to the press and tell your agents to negotiate quietly and something will probably get done.

+1

nice post, totally agree. his entitlement mindset is destroying all the hard work he just finished a few days ago. moving MUCH too swiftly for a front office that's still conducting interviews (!).

don't look under other kid's christmas trees if you don't think you can handle it Josh. you made this bed, there's no guarantee for you to get ANYTHING so you might want to instruct your agents not to kill your value playing hardball>>>while you're expecting a "favor".

Breaking news, 52 other Browns players cleaned out their lockers at the end of the season as well!

Cribbs needs to fire his agents. They are trying to play hardball when we all know full well he is going to get paid. I hate agents/lawyers/herpes. That's why I don't have any one of them.

this isnt a story

every player cleans out his locker

every player says goodbye to the med staff after the year since they change every year or 2

same with Equipment guys

also this part just shows how much of a jackass he really is

he is just a KR he had 20 catches for 185 yards and 1 TD and had 350 Rush yards for 1 TD

Derek Anderson had more Rushing TDs does that mean we should consider him more then a QB?

lawrence Vickers had 1 reciving TD does that mean we should consider him more then a FB?

he has done nothing in his career ever outside of being a KR

Do you even watch the games? Or do you just ignore the all aspects of the game other than kick returns? Cribbs added a whole new element to the offense this year. He also has either led or been among the leaders in special teams tackles for the last 3 seasons now! He is only going to get better as a receiver and running back and whatever else his future team has him do! He loves Cleveland, loves playing for the Browns, and loves the fans! And the fans love him! He IS the face of the team! Outside of Joe Thomas, he is the best player on the team! And he is ALREADY the all-time leader in KR TD's. How many catches did our receivers have this year?

MoMass 34 catches 624 Yds 3 TD

Harrison 34 220 2

Furrey 23 170 0

CRIBBS 20 135 1

Stuckey 19 198 1

Cribbs held his own there. It was spread out quite nicely for what we had. Our QB's didn't exactly light it up to ANY receiver. Braylon had more catches AFTER being traded than any of our receivers had.

As far as rushing the ball goes.

Harrison 194 carries 862 Yds 5 TD 4.4 YPC

Lewis 143 500 0 3.5

Jennings 63 220 1 3.5

CRIBBS 55 381 1 6.9

I like Cribbs' numbers there too! Again, our offense was stale for the first half or more of the season. Cribbs and Harrison combined to ignite it late. Imagine the numbers if we had a real OC for a full season!

And your argument about DA? 10 carries 8 yds 2 TD .8 YPC....No, he's NOT a RB too! Quinn was better than him there too...20 carries 98 yds 1 TD 4.9 YPC.

If you still think Cribbs is just a returner, despite the FACTS, then you are ignorant!

i think his useage in the offense says more about the lack of other playmakers than it does about josh's offensive ability.

so he caught 20 balls.....if he knew how to run routes and shield defenders off, he would have had 40.

we had no QB, and were down to unproven backs with a good amount of talent....rookie and blocking TE's, no BE to stretch the field. this leads to his use in the flash....

if we have a capable offense, his role is further diminished to a gadget and ST player simply because we'll have an offense that does better than threaten 3 and out every drive.

stop over-valuing him....he's great at what he does, but its not gonna make or break this team. if it did, every superbowl contender would require such a skilled returner.

Do you even watch the games? Or do you just ignore the all aspects of the game other than kick returns? Cribbs added a whole new element to the offense this year. He also has either led or been among the leaders in special teams tackles for the last 3 seasons now! He is only going to get better as a receiver and running back and whatever else his future team has him do!

not likley. Fail

He loves Cleveland, loves playing for the Browns, and loves the fans! And the fans love him! He IS the face of the team! Outside of Joe Thomas, he is the best player on the team!

cool hes not better then Shaun Rogers and that wont put points on the scoreboard or W in the schedule. Fail

And he is ALREADY the all-time leader in KR TD's. How many catches did our receivers have this year?

MoMass 34 catches 624 Yds 3 TD

Harrison 34 220 2

Furrey 23 170 0

CRIBBS 20 135 1

Stuckey 19 198 1

Cribbs held his own there. It was spread out quite nicely for what we had. Our QB's didn't exactly light it up to ANY receiver. Braylon had more catches AFTER being traded than any of our receivers had.

yawn 1 TD nuff said i never said any of our other WR played well so i dont see your point. Fail

As far as rushing the ball goes.

Harrison 194 carries 862 Yds 5 TD 4.4 YPC

Lewis 143 500 0 3.5

Jennings 63 220 1 3.5

CRIBBS 55 381 1 6.9

I like Cribbs' numbers there too!

wow what a tool you know absolutley nothing about football

Again, our offense was stale for the first half or more of the season. Cribbs and Harrison combined to ignite it late. Imagine the numbers if we had a real OC for a full season!

And your argument about DA? 10 carries 8 yds 2 TD .8 YPC....No, he's NOT a RB too! Quinn was better than him there too...20 carries 98 yds 1 TD 4.9 YPC.

If you still think Cribbs is just a returner, despite the FACTS, then you are ignorant!

the only FACT that matters is touchdown sorry buddy but im 100% correct he is one of the worst players on the team if you take away what he did on ST 100% proven fact

absoltuley horrible post. you should just never post again

Archived