THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Cribbs cleans out locker, feels like "it's over.''

bonedawg

He also brought up KR/PR/Back up DB Roscoe Parrish of the Bills makes $3.2 million. WTF? This is the same guy whose fumble late in Buffalo territory caused them the game against the Browns and in the first week of the season to New England.

Leodis McKelvin was the one who fumbled the kickoff vs. new England, not Parrish.

A friend of my remarked that Cribbs isn't helping himself with all of this public ranting, tweeting and whatever. I'm inclined to agree. It's a business negotiation that should be done in private. I also don't think Cribbs is getting as much support from the fans as he expected.

I agree with you. As much as I think this isn't an issue at this point in the season, I think he's handling it wrong. Probably on the advice of his agents. He will get his money and it will be more than he would have gotten before the year started but I think his agents are telling him to play hardball and its unecessary. It also makes him look bad. He's an excellent player and person, let's not forget that, but he needs to relax and wait for the office to at least get staffed before he starts doing this. His agent probably went public thinking that they would garner fan support which is not the way to do it. They got an initial offer, they didn't like it, so now they negotiate. This playing hardball is all posturing, he needs a new agent.

Just my take, but so many people were willing to give Quinn the $11 million escalators in his contract just to see what he could do but think that Cribbs is out of line asking for something in the 2.5 to 3 million dollar range when he's proven he's the most dynamic player on our team?

Returner or not, didn't he lead our team in touchdowns?

I believe him when he says Opie promised him he would redo the contract. The salary cap was a mess under his management.

I'd throw him a bone and kick up his salary to about $3 million next year (when its likely that it will be uncapped and will not be carried into future years) I'd extend him out for three years after that at $1 million per with some LTBE incentives for special teams that would kick him up to $1.5 and some UTBE incentives for receiver and/or RB . . . maybe set the bar at 800 yards for either or 1400 combined to earn another $1.5 million. I'd add a decent roster bonus for the final year so the Browns can make a decision. You could value that thing at 4 years, 12 million (about what we saved on reducing Quinn's snaps). He'd be likely to earn only about $8 million of it, but with Cribbs I wouldn't put it past him to find a way to make the incentives.

Just my take, but so many people were willing to give Quinn the $11 million escalators in his contract just to see what he could do but think that Cribbs is out of line asking for something in the 2.5 to 3 million dollar range when he's proven he's the most dynamic player on our team?

Quinn (love hjim or hate him) never asked for a new contract.

Did he?

WSS

Quinn (love hjim or hate him) never asked for a new contract.

Did he?

WSS

He didn't need to. He still had a chance to make all his incentives. If he's the starter next season and does something (a pretty big if) I'll bet you he'll make some pretty big rumblings . . . money or trade.

Also, Quinn's negotiations didn't involve a promise by the GM to redo the contract in the future so that he could acquire more talent (see Donte Stallworth/Rex Hadnot) in a year where it looked like a few players might put a 10-6 team over the top. If memory serves he held out of training camp to get every last nickel.

Returner or not, didn't he lead our team in touchdowns?

I believe him when he says Opie promised him he would redo the contract. The salary cap was a mess under his management.

I'd throw him a bone and kick up his salary to about $3 million next year (when its likely that it will be uncapped and will not be carried into future years) I'd extend him out for three years after that at $1 million per with some LTBE incentives for special teams that would kick him up to $1.5 and some UTBE incentives for receiver and/or RB . . . maybe set the bar at 800 yards for either or 1400 combined to earn another $1.5 million. I'd add a decent roster bonus for the final year so the Browns can make a decision. You could value that thing at 4 years, 12 million (about what we saved on reducing Quinn's snaps). He'd be likely to earn only about $8 million of it, but with Cribbs I wouldn't put it past him to find a way to make the incentives.

Perfect scenario and most likely outcome. Once again, nice job Mr. Banks. As long as he gets some guaranteed money for what he's done so far, and escaltors for a chance to make more in the future, then its perfect.

Look, Cribbs is good, but screw him. He has a contract. He signed it. End of deal. If he wants to sit at home and not get paid, so be it.

That's not really true. What Cribbs (or any other NFL player) has is not a true contract. He cannot require the Browns to perform next year if the Browns decide they don't want him. If he is cut, the contract is voided. Unlike an employment contract (see Kokinis) the Browns don't have to show cause to void the contract, they can just cut him. With a player like Cribbs who did not receive a ridiculous bonus, he's taking all the risk. If he plays lousy, the Browns cut him and owe him nothing left on his "contract". Even if he's injured, they only have to pay him for the year that he sustained the injury. If he plays better than expected, on the other hand, the team gains a windfall and can keep him from receiving his market value until the contract expires.

If a player outperforms his contract (which Cribbs is probably the only Browns player that I can think of in recent history that has) his ONLY leverage is to threaten a hold out. I don't blame Cribbs or really doubt the promise that Opie made to him. The team was strapped in the year they renegotiated and multiple years on the contract let him spread the signing bonus out over all of those years instead of a couple. I have no doubt that he really doesn't want to miss a one mini camp session, much less be traded.

I think he's a good example of a player who took care of his business on the field, embraced the program, and brought guys along with him. Harrison said as much. I'd reward that.

Archived