THE BROWNS BOARD

THE MEDIA'S REASONS WHY THEY GUARANTEED MANGINI'S FIRING

mopaji

These reasons never had any validity to them but here are some of the most common ones and explanations that logical people were aware of before the decision was made.

1. Philosophies don't match

Most of us knew that Holmgren didn't care what scheme the coach would run because Holmgren is not the coach. Also, a lot of us realized that the WCO no longer exists which Holmgren himself mentioned in his presser saying every coach from that tree changes the system to suite their ideas. Thus, no WCO, no friction. Funny thing here is, Brinda still maintains that their philosophies will clash. Shameless.

2. Mishandled the QB situation

Do the math, two bad QBs. One is the owners meal-ticket, the other has the respect of his teammates. One is already overpaid why have two overpaid? Any wonder why there may have been a delay in th process from an otherwise decisive HC? I'm sure these explanations were more than enough for the Walrus like they have been for most of us.

3. He was 1-11!!

Why is it that most of us fans realized what the rebuilding process looked like and they didn't? We were looking at things like discipline, attitude, and effort as signs of improvement while they stuck with 1-11. Strange how numbers all of the sudden tell the whole story when we're not talking about QBs eh media? Ever ask HOW those numbers came to be? I guess that doesn't matter. Plus, that would require some sort of analysis, who has time for that when there are buffet tables in every lobby you walk into.

4. Blew the Draft

Rookies play like rookies and have since the dawn of time. Anybody who expected a couple of rookies to come in here and rip people apart on a team with almost zero talent around them has played too many games of Madden 2010. Mack is a monster and MoMass racked up respectable rookie numbers despite having the two worst QBs in the game throwing it to him and having to be the #1 WR. I say its very encouraging to see that under those circumstances. For the rest of them, we won't know a thing until next year so that argument is junk.

Feel free to add anything I may have missed. I know the slams were relentless ALL YEAR so I'm sure I missed some. Oh I forgot. They all guaranteed DA would be gone before next year. If their consistant with their predictions, DA will be signing a record -breaking contract extention worth $125 million dollars over the next 12 years. I wish they would guarantee an 0-16 season next year. SUPER BOWL BABY!!

Do the math, two bad QBs. One is the owners meal-ticket, the other has the respect of his teammates. One is already overpaid why have two overpaid? Any wonder why there may have been a delay in th process from an otherwise decisive HC? I'm sure these explanations were more than enough for the Walrus like they have been for most of us.

There were more than just what you listed. His 2nd round picks leave a lot to be desired, his mind boggling mishandling of Jerome Harrison is inexcusable, and there were times when he said things that made you go WTF? How did DA give us "the best chance to win?" I agree with not paying Quinn bonus re: playing time, but why paint yourself into a corner and say you'll stick with the starter once decided? And regarding the bottlegate and opportunity time - why not just come clean? I am not saying name Edwards, but state your case. And the opportunity time - why not set that record straight? Why invite all of that BS assumption writing?

I have been on board with Eric since around the 2nd Cincy game, although I flip flopped a few times throughout the season. Once I understood what he was trying to accomplish with gameplans and teaching, I understood maybe it wasn't so much the schemes as it was miscommunications, lack of players, and poor performances.

I can think of a lot more things that he could have technically been legitimately fired for...bottomline is its over mangini and his assistants stay and we all need to get behind the new regime and give them a chance to see what they can do ,right now cribbs is issue no.1 at least to me..the guy is sick of being screwed around we need to fix this before cribbs becomes a new cancer...

Hoss

I have been on board with Eric since around the 2nd Cincy game, although I flip flopped a few times throughout the season. Once I understood what he was trying to accomplish with gameplans and teaching, I understood maybe it wasn't so much the schemes as it was miscommunications, lack of players, and poor performances.

Mangini made a lot of bad decisions and mistakes he pissed a large part of the fanbase off consistently not even counting the media who had it out for him and at times he looked like an amateur coach when his players took the field with what appeared to be very limited options...

But he had reasons for doing it that way...just like the fans the players didnt know exactly what the coach wanted/expected either(some still dont) and until the players started "getting it" mangini's true body of work went unseen by most even i "missed it" until it had became evident..

I think by holmgren retaining penguini the genie it shows that holmgren the walrus liked what he seen and heard and it looks lke they are now sharing and eating from the same fresh fish supply....;)

cribbs is like issue no 10......

didn't mangini alienate all his players? yeah, he should be fired.

brought in all the jets rejects (that also hated their coach for alienating them)?

traded away all our talent?

road BB coattails and really knew nothing of the game?

this is a fun thread!!

There were more than just what you listed. His 2nd round picks leave a lot to be desired, his mind boggling mishandling of Jerome Harrison is inexcusable, and there were times when he said things that made you go WTF? How did DA give us "the best chance to win?" I agree with not paying Quinn bonus re: playing time, but why paint yourself into a corner and say you'll stick with the starter once decided? And regarding the bottlegate and opportunity time - why not just come clean? I am not saying name Edwards, but state your case. And the opportunity time - why not set that record straight? Why invite all of that BS assumption writing?

Jerome Harrison wasn't mishandled..This is his 3rd year in the league and he admitted he was lazy in practice and was a terrible pass blocker..Mangini forced him out of these bad habits and I could argue made him a better pro by insisting he work hard ALL the time.

If Quinn was playing adequately you think Mangini would give a crap about his bonus? I don't think so.

Bottlegate..Mangini clearly explained that there were numerous violations by this player and in not revealing the players name was in tune with keeping things in the family, BUT a**hole Braylon leaked it because it was him who was fined for continuing to flaunt team rules and trying to poison the locker room..Sorry Braylon it didn't work.

Opportunity periods. Mangini explained what they were for early on and the BS rumor about Davis was proven totally false.

Thank God for those opportunity periods after 10 guys go down on IR, those young guys were ready, weren't they/

What else you got..BRING IT!!

Jerome Harrison wasn't mishandled..This is his 3rd year in the league and he admitted he was lazy in practice and was a terrible pass blocker..Mangini forced him out of these bad habits and I could argue made him a better pro by insisting he work hard ALL the time.

If Quinn was playing adequately you think Mangini would give a crap about his bonus? I don't think so.

Bottlegate..Mangini clearly explained that there were numerous violations by this player and in not revealing the players name was in tune with keeping things in the family, BUT a**hole Braylon leaked it because it was him who was fined for continuing to flaunt team rules and trying to poison the locker room..Sorry Braylon it didn't work.

Opportunity periods. Mangini explained what they were for early on and the BS rumor about Davis was proven totally false.

Thank God for those opportunity periods after 10 guys go down on IR, those young guys were ready, weren't they/

thank you for posting this so I didn't have to.

and there were times when he said things that made you go WTF? How did DA give us "the best chance to win?" I agree with not paying Quinn bonus re: playing time, but why paint yourself into a corner and say you'll stick with the starter once decided?

Coaching is often about instilling confidence. Sometimes what you say publicly and what you believe to be true are two different things. But you need to say something positive to instill the team with confidence. Maybe you didn't like it. But I think he said what needed to be said for the team.

Exactly what i was going to say! Jerome Harrison wasnt even close to being mishandled. He wasnt even close to being an everydown back in the nfl early in the season. He was absolutely dreadful at pass blocking and blitz pick up one of the worst i have ever seen. There is a lot more to the position than just running with the ball! Actually you could say that this is one of the great examples of coaching that mangini did. Coaching Harrison up and toughing him up and giving him some tough love making him become a complete back and understand the game more and everything that encompasses the running back position. Letting him know that you want to get on the field you better start doing all the things that a solid running back does. Like Mr. Peterbell said, Harrison even said himself that he owes a great deal to being coached up by mangini and admitted that he needed a lot of work at pass blocking and was lazy in his technique. These are the things that i love about mangini, coaching guys up making them do things right to earn playing time!!!! It is very refreshing and now you see the fruits of the labor with harrison!

Exactly what i was going to say! Jerome Harrison wasnt even close to being mishandled. He wasnt even close to being an everydown back in the nfl early in the season. He was absolutely dreadful at pass blocking and blitz pick up one of the worst i have ever seen. There is a lot more to the position than just running with the ball! Actually you could say that this is one of the great examples of coaching that mangini did. Coaching Harrison up and toughing him up and giving him some tough love making him become a complete back and understand the game more and everything that encompasses the running back position. Letting him know that you want to get on the field you better start doing all the things that a solid running back does. Like Mr. Peterbell said, Harrison even said himself that he owes a great deal to being coached up by mangini and admitted that he needed a lot of work at pass blocking and was lazy in his technique. These are the things that i love about mangini, coaching guys up making them do things right to earn playing time!!!! It is very refreshing and now you see the fruits of the labor with harrison!

I forgot about the Harrison excuse, one of my favorites! It's what I've been saying all along, Harrison not playing said more about Harrison than Mangini. Same goes for Robiski. Mangini has done the same thing across the board. What I mean is, he has made EVERY PLAYER on that team better for life. Some are too proud to admit it but Mangini has done each of them a favor that will pay off wherever they end up in the league. One exception, it seemed that Braylon wasn't getting it, and we're all better off now.

cribbs is like issue no 10......

didn't mangini alienate all his players? yeah, he should be fired.

brought in all the jets rejects (that also hated their coach for alienating them)?

traded away all our talent?

road BB coattails and really knew nothing of the game?

this is a fun thread!!

Yeah the team that was on the field for the month of December really looked like a bunch of alienated players! And, those "jets rejects" are performing better than all of our cut or released players. Traded away our talent? maybe winslow but edwards? Ummmmmmmmmmmm NO! Edwards is not that talented of a reciever. Why dont you rub two brain cells together before you post.

Why is it that most of us fans realized what the rebuilding process looked like and they didn't? We were looking at things like discipline, attitude, and effort as signs of improvement while they stuck with 1-11.

Hey, I gotta disagree with you on this one when you say "most of us fans". I'd day it's more like a few of us, with you and Atenears being among the most vocal, that realized it's all part of the rebuilding process. Many on the board here were lock step with the media on most of their complaints.

Now I can stop being mad at Crennel for never playing him. Tubby saw Harrison's flaws he just couldn't fix them. +1 Mangini!

What I find funny, is that all the articles are sounding like "retraction" articles. And not one of them is actually indicating the good things Mangini has accomplished to make Holmgren want to keep him. They are just saying how magnanimous Holmgren is and how much more mature he is, that he's willing to take a risk on Mangini.

Mangini's arrogance and cockiness would clash with Holmgren's??maybe

Arrogace and cockiness? Maybe it's focus and determination. But of course one would assume the latter.

This Mangini broke his players away from him stuff is an absurd statement. This team was nothing but a joke, even in that fluke 2007 season. Talent? We had crybabies that thought they could do whatever they want, whenever they want. We were going NO WHERE. Mangini has put together a TEAM, a core foundation - and I would like to know who you know in the organization for you to make a statement saying he has made a block between him and his players.

Everybody thinks they can be a coach.

Arrogace and cockiness? Maybe it's focus and determination. But of course one would assume the latter.

This Mangini broke his players away from him stuff is an absurd statement. This team was nothing but a joke, even in that fluke 2007 season. Talent? We had crybabies that thought they could do whatever they want, whenever they want. We were going NO WHERE. Mangini has put together a TEAM, a core foundation - and I would like to know who you know in the organization for you to make a statement saying he has made a block between him and his players.

One more thing to remember, and I've said it a million times, is that we have a better record this year than we did in 2008 with Braylon, Kellen, Stallworth, Lewis, and all the rest of the supposedly superior talent we got rid of. That's called coaching, folks.

My biggest pet peeve is people saying that we wouldn't win without Cribbs and Harrison, so Mangini sucks as a coach. Guess what, if we didn't have those guys we may not have been 5-11, but someone else would have stepped in to fill the void, though probably not as effectively. I've never understood that argument, because if you take away the two best players from the Colts and I guarantee they aren't in the playoffs right now, so what's the point? Cribbs and Harrison are our best offensive playmakers and they shouldn't be seen as a crutch to our wins, but as a foundation to build on.

I never said anything about him having a block from his players, where the hell did you get that from??? I actually think some players like playing for him.. I just think he comes across as if he thinks he walks on water..

whose to say EM didn't really believe those players gave him the best chance, based upon what he'd seen throughout the week in practice and in meetings? coaches start players based upon weekly performance on a young inconsistent team like ours...grasping concepts when others can't could also get you a start (or the opportunity to wear the mic'd D helmet).

it's very possible if, for example, DA was playing lights out on the practice field, and "getting it" in class, he coulda been the guy, then just shit the bed on Sunday. but life in a vacuum is too easy.

sarcasm is sometimes hard to convey.....

honestly if i didn't know ya i woulda probably missed it...but who cares cuz i got it.

Arrogance and cockiness? Maybe it's focus and determination. But of course one would assume the latter.

i'll meet ya in the middle with smug self-confidence--and he looks like he could be a real dick.

but he also seems like it wouldn't ever be personal or malicious. people can respect a straight-shooter who tells you exactly what he needs from you...he might not always tell you what you want to hear but he remains professional and is a willing scapegoat. with most of his gaffes his true intent was always for growth. i think they recognize he has their best intentions in mind and it shows in how people play hard for him.

Hey, I gotta disagree with you on this one when you say "most of us fans". I'd day it's more like a few of us, with you and Atenears being among the most vocal, that realized it's all part of the rebuilding process. Many on the board here were lock step with the media on most of their complaints.

I didn't wanna point fingers but I'm glad you did! Good news is, we all have a common enemy for once! Down with the media!

What I find funny, is that all the articles are sounding like "retraction" articles. And not one of them is actually indicating the good things Mangini has accomplished to make Holmgren want to keep him. They are just saying how magnanimous Holmgren is and how much more mature he is, that he's willing to take a risk on Mangini.

And they're acting like Mangin dooped Holmgren in the meetings! One exception, and I can't beleive I'm gonna say this but Mary Kay was on WKNR and actually seemed almost enamoured with Mangini. But yes, they are all backpedalling quite a bit. I say, when we start winning, they are not allowd to cheer!

Well I for one was clearly wrong - I thought it was a given that Holmgren was going to bring in "his" guys but there was a lot I didn't factor into the decision and I think the media didn't either.

The first was money - Lerner's money - and how that might affect Holmgren's ability to spend.

Between the contracts of Crennel & Savage ($21 million) Kokinis ($4 million) and Holmgren ($50 million), firing Mangini ($12 million remaining), all of the assitant coaches, and what it would take to hire a new Head Coach and assistants (not to mention the cost of bringing in a new General Manager) Lerner is looking at at @ $100 million total to make the full change and have ALL of Holmgren's team while also paying all his past front office personnel.

Lerner's rich to be sure but was the $20 million that constitutes Mangini's remaining contract plus the cost of a new annual salary for a coach a factor?

I think everyone would have to agree that it was at least a factor.

That's also $20 million less that could go to players - such as Cribbs for one - at a time when there's a very real possibility that ALL of Lerner's NFL income will be frozen during a lockout.

Couple that with the fact that Holmgren can still make a change - and indeed, the coach he wanted - be it Fox or Gruden - may not currently be available, one can certainly see the financial sense of the decision to retain Mangini - especially with so many fans expressing ManLove for Mangini with a total of 5 wins under his belt.

I tend to think that Mangini is a very lucky guy - and that if Lerner weren't feeling a tad bit cash strapped at the prospect of paying $100 million for a front office - most of whom are no longer with the team - and there wasn't the prospect of a lockout and the desired Head Coach candidate were available, Mangini might be in the unemployment line with the rest of a portion of Cleveland fans.

But I and the media definately need to eat some crow over this... while I was never SURE that Holmgren was going to can Mangini it sure looked that way for awhile.

I forgot about the Harrison excuse, one of my favorites! It's what I've been saying all along, Harrison not playing said more about Harrison than Mangini. Same goes for Robiski. Mangini has done the same thing across the board. What I mean is, he has made EVERY PLAYER on that team better for life. Some are too proud to admit it but Mangini has done each of them a favor that will pay off wherever they end up in the league. One exception, it seemed that Braylon wasn't getting it, and we're all better off now.

I started a thread a few months back describing what POS Mangini was,without going into the whole thing

the jist was that a good coach makes average players better and good players great,then I went on to dissect

each player that Mangini hadn't improved since he got here...by the time I was done I realized that he in fact had

begun to improve most of the players on this team.needless to say I deleted the thread.

Light bulb moment for me.

Mangini's arrogance and cockiness would clash with Holmgren's??maybe

You know the coach?

Tell us all about him. Actually, don't. You know why? Mike Holmgren met with this guy for hours and decided he was worth keeping. If Mike Holmgren finds him to be "cocky" and "arrogant" he would have fired him no questions asked.

These reasons never had any validity to them but here are some of the most common ones and explanations that logical people were aware of before the decision was made.

1. Philosophies don't match

Most of us knew that Holmgren didn't care what scheme the coach would run because Holmgren is not the coach. Also, a lot of us realized that the WCO no longer exists which Holmgren himself mentioned in his presser saying every coach from that tree changes the system to suite their ideas. Thus, no WCO, no friction. Funny thing here is, Brinda still maintains that their philosophies will clash. Shameless.

3. He was 1-11!!

Why is it that most of us fans realized what the rebuilding process looked like and they didn't? We were looking at things like discipline, attitude, and effort as signs of improvement while they stuck with 1-11. Strange how numbers all of the sudden tell the whole story when we're not talking about QBs eh media? Ever ask HOW those numbers came to be? I guess that doesn't matter. Plus, that would require some sort of analysis, who has time for that when there are buffet tables in every lobby you walk into.

4. Blew the Draft

Rookies play like rookies and have since the dawn of time. Anybody who expected a couple of rookies to come in here and rip people apart on a team with almost zero talent around them has played too many games of Madden 2010. Mack is a monster and MoMass racked up respectable rookie numbers despite having the two worst QBs in the game throwing it to him and having to be the #1 WR. I say its very encouraging to see that under those circumstances. For the rest of them, we won't know a thing until next year so that argument is junk.

Feel free to add anything I may have missed. I know the slams were relentless ALL YEAR so I'm sure I missed some. Oh I forgot. They all guaranteed DA would be gone before next year. If their consistant with their predictions, DA will be signing a record -breaking contract extention worth $125 million dollars over the next 12 years. I wish they would guarantee an 0-16 season next year. SUPER BOWL BABY!!

None of which actually involves any reporting. That is to say, they just make stuff up and report it as if they "know". Jason La Confora was blue in the face writing and "reporting" that Mike Holmgren was "intent" on firing EM and it was essentially a "done deal".

"Media Mythmakers" by Benjamin Radford. Read it.

You know the coach?

Tell us all about him. Actually, don't. You know why? Mike Holmgren met with this guy for hours and decided he was worth keeping. If Mike Holmgren finds him to be "cocky" and "arrogant" he would have fired him no questions asked.

Never said I knew him, maybe Holmgren liked that about him..again TO ME he comes across as a arrogant and cocky person..

Well I for one was clearly wrong - I thought it was a given that Holmgren was going to bring in "his" guys but there was a lot I didn't factor into the decision and I think the media didn't either.

The first was money - Lerner's money - and how that might affect Holmgren's ability to spend.

Between the contracts of Crennel & Savage ($21 million) Kokinis ($4 million) and Holmgren ($50 million), firing Mangini ($12 million remaining), all of the assitant coaches, and what it would take to hire a new Head Coach and assistants (not to mention the cost of bringing in a new General Manager) Lerner is looking at at @ $100 million total to make the full change and have ALL of Holmgren's team while also paying all his past front office personnel.

Lerner's rich to be sure but was the $20 million that constitutes Mangini's remaining contract plus the cost of a new annual salary for a coach a factor?

I think everyone would have to agree that it was at least a factor.

That's also $20 million less that could go to players - such as Cribbs for one - at a time when there's a very real possibility that ALL of Lerner's NFL income will be frozen during a lockout.

Couple that with the fact that Holmgren can still make a change - and indeed, the coach he wanted - be it Fox or Gruden - may not currently be available, one can certainly see the financial sense of the decision to retain Mangini - especially with so many fans expressing ManLove for Mangini with a total of 5 wins under his belt.

I tend to think that Mangini is a very lucky guy - and that if Lerner weren't feeling a tad bit cash strapped at the prospect of paying $100 million for a front office - most of whom are no longer with the team - and there wasn't the prospect of a lockout and the desired Head Coach candidate were available, Mangini might be in the unemployment line with the rest of a portion of Cleveland fans.

But I and the media definately need to eat some crow over this... while I was never SURE that Holmgren was going to can Mangini it sure looked that way for awhile.

I'm almost positive this is Florio

Archived