THE BROWNS BOARD

THE MEDIA'S REASONS WHY THEY GUARANTEED MANGINI'S FIRING

mopaji

Well I for one was clearly wrong - I thought it was a given that Holmgren was going to bring in "his" guys but there was a lot I didn't factor into the decision and I think the media didn't either.

The first was money - Lerner's money - and how that might affect Holmgren's ability to spend.

Between the contracts of Crennel & Savage ($21 million) Kokinis ($4 million) and Holmgren ($50 million), firing Mangini ($12 million remaining), all of the assitant coaches, and what it would take to hire a new Head Coach and assistants (not to mention the cost of bringing in a new General Manager) Lerner is looking at at @ $100 million total to make the full change and have ALL of Holmgren's team while also paying all his past front office personnel.

Lerner's rich to be sure but was the $20 million that constitutes Mangini's remaining contract plus the cost of a new annual salary for a coach a factor?

I think everyone would have to agree that it was at least a factor.

That's also $20 million less that could go to players - such as Cribbs for one - at a time when there's a very real possibility that ALL of Lerner's NFL income will be frozen during a lockout.

Couple that with the fact that Holmgren can still make a change - and indeed, the coach he wanted - be it Fox or Gruden - may not currently be available, one can certainly see the financial sense of the decision to retain Mangini - especially with so many fans expressing ManLove for Mangini with a total of 5 wins under his belt.

I tend to think that Mangini is a very lucky guy - and that if Lerner weren't feeling a tad bit cash strapped at the prospect of paying $100 million for a front office - most of whom are no longer with the team - and there wasn't the prospect of a lockout and the desired Head Coach candidate were available, Mangini might be in the unemployment line with the rest of a portion of Cleveland fans.

But I and the media definitly need to eat some crow over this... while I was never SURE that Holmgren was going to can Mangini it sure looked that way for awhile.

You are clueless on this Joe/Florio whatever..Holmgren rehired him because he see's progress, players buying into the system, good coaching..bring all the speculative horses**t you want..If that was the case Holmgren would have said it DAY ONE Mangini is back..You think the meetings with Mangini and the week delay in the decision were orchestrated by Holmgen for attention..are you saying Mike holmgren is a phoney..What would the purpose be for the delay if MH wasn't trying to make an informed decision? You're post reeks of desperation and excuse making..i have something else for you to eat beside crow.some humble pie genius.. Joe/Florio...you lose. You haven't posted anything on PFT about Mangini in the last week..interesting

Well I for one was clearly wrong - I thought it was a given that Holmgren was going to bring in "his" guys but there was a lot I didn't factor into the decision and I think the media didn't either.

The first was money - Lerner's money - and how that might affect Holmgren's ability to spend.

Between the contracts of Crennel & Savage ($21 million) Kokinis ($4 million) and Holmgren ($50 million), firing Mangini ($12 million remaining), all of the assitant coaches, and what it would take to hire a new Head Coach and assistants (not to mention the cost of bringing in a new General Manager) Lerner is looking at at @ $100 million total to make the full change and have ALL of Holmgren's team while also paying all his past front office personnel.

Lerner's rich to be sure but was the $20 million that constitutes Mangini's remaining contract plus the cost of a new annual salary for a coach a factor?

I think everyone would have to agree that it was at least a factor.

That's also $20 million less that could go to players - such as Cribbs for one - at a time when there's a very real possibility that ALL of Lerner's NFL income will be frozen during a lockout.

Couple that with the fact that Holmgren can still make a change - and indeed, the coach he wanted - be it Fox or Gruden - may not currently be available, one can certainly see the financial sense of the decision to retain Mangini - especially with so many fans expressing ManLove for Mangini with a total of 5 wins under his belt.

I tend to think that Mangini is a very lucky guy - and that if Lerner weren't feeling a tad bit cash strapped at the prospect of paying $100 million for a front office - most of whom are no longer with the team - and there wasn't the prospect of a lockout and the desired Head Coach candidate were available, Mangini might be in the unemployment line with the rest of a portion of Cleveland fans.

But I and the media definately need to eat some crow over this... while I was never SURE that Holmgren was going to can Mangini it sure looked that way for awhile.

I'm not gonna slam you as it does make sense that money played a part in the decision it does anytime you're hiring somebody but it didn't decide anything in this case. Lerner would have paid anything if Holmgren said to do so. I mean, doesn't any member of the media see the progress that was made here? And that maybe he was retained because he is doing things the right way?

What boggles my mind more than anything is that the media has never had one valid or logical reason why Mangini would get fired and yet, they drilled fans with it everyday as if it were fact. Everything has been fabricated, spun, speculated, or just flat out fictitious Bullsh** throughout the entire year. Which tells me their not getting any information out of Berea and so were out to get the source of the secrecy out of there, Mangini. Now, they are sitting back and hoping Holmgren tells them everything they want to know. If he does, they will lay off Mangini and jump on the bandwagon. And if he doesn't, are you they gonna start the "oust Holm-gini" campaign? In any event, I don't think I have ever seen such unethical, bias, agenda driven sports coverage in my life. Absolute smut. I mean, everytime the Browns won the press got more and more angry?!?! WTF?!?! I get more insight from my wife who only saw her first football game in 2008 during the season of screams. Sportswriters, the KIA Rio of journalism.

That makes 3 of us.

+1 = 4

I am not buying the financial ruin of Lerner as a reason Mangini was kept. Crennel is going to be hired by KC so they can have a big New England reunion and Randy will owe him less. I love how the media and the "Joe Six-Login-Names-of-Florio" is painting themselves into a corner with their logic. Basically, we've gone from Eric Mangini being fired as a "sure thing" because he "can't coach" to "he's staying because Mike Holmgren is (too gracious and generous to let him go". Pretty soon it will be that he has photos of MH with strippers.

Give us a break. Perhaps the guy isn't as bad of a person, coach or motivator as the Mike Florios of the world would BEG us to believe. Funny how the truth being somewhere less extreme makes more sense.

+1 = 4

I am not buying the financial ruin of Lerner as a reason Mangini was kept. Crennel is going to be hired by KC so they can have a big New England reunion and Randy will owe him less. I love how the media and the "Joe Six-Login-Names-of-Florio" is painting themselves into a corner with their logic. Basically, we've gone from Eric Mangini being fired as a "sure thing" because he "can't coach" to "he's staying because Mike Holmgren is (too gracious and generous to let him go". Pretty soon it will be that he has photos of MH with strippers.

Give us a break. Perhaps the guy isn't as bad of a person, coach or motivator as the Mike Florios of the world would BEG us to believe. Funny how the truth being somewhere less extreme makes more sense.

Hey Earl, you forgot that Mangini is bribing Cribbs to say good things about him and he apparently used hypnosis on Holmgren during the interview.

Jerome Harrison wasn't mishandled..This is his 3rd year in the league and he admitted he was lazy in practice and was a terrible pass blocker..Mangini forced him out of these bad habits and I could argue made him a better pro by insisting he work hard ALL the time.

No. I don't agree. Jerome Harrison played well whenever he was in the game. He's always had talent, and he proved that in the first Cincy game. How the hell do you play Jamal over Jerome? I mean seriously, think about that! Whether or not he was a complete back, why the hell is Jamal playing over him? Bad decision. Blitz pickup still needs to improve, but his talent needed to be on the field. Mangini mishandled this one. Everyone seems to know it but the echo chamber in here.

If Quinn was playing adequately you think Mangini would give a crap about his bonus? I don't think so.

Agree. That was my point. But then don't go into the season stating your going to do one thing, and then immediately do another. I agreed with his decsion but he made the statement, and it made the team question whether he'd keep his word. Quinn didn't suck nearly as bad as DA, but he wasn't good either, especially early on. But why - WHY - would you name a starter, tell everyone you're going to stick with him, and then pull him after 2-3 games? If you needed to pull this guy for performance, fine by me. But you should have known "hey, I really need to be careful with this because neither knock my socks off. I may have to go back to the 2nd guy. No need to commit. " It was mishandled. It happens. We will get over it. .

Bottlegate..Mangini clearly explained that there were numerous violations by this player and in not revealing the players name was in tune with keeping things in the family, BUT a**hole Braylon leaked it because it was him who was fined for continuing to flaunt team rules and trying to poison the locker room..Sorry Braylon it didn't work.

Not at the outset he didn't. Mangini didn't come clean to the media about what this was all about until after the Chicago game, when he was interviewed by FOX. Listen, I am a Mangini supporter. I am merely pointing out what I saw as mistakes. He should never have allowed the media to run this story against him. He did not need to name the player, but fair being fair he could have nipped this shit in the bud. The media are complete assholes to him, making his job as hard as possible whenever they could, and he handled it with decorum and class. It makes me smile that he was kept on because xxxx them, that's why. But damn he took some shots I think he didn't need to. .

Opportunity periods. Mangini explained what they were for early on and the BS rumor about Davis was proven totally false.

Thank God for those opportunity periods after 10 guys go down on IR, those young guys were ready, weren't they.

Again I agree. Please don't argue just to argue. What I had said was he needed to explain the Davis incident a little better. He need to come out and say "look folks, the story is completely false. Both players were without pads, and unfortunately James got hurt. The films are there, the NFL is going to agree with us, and this is a nonstory. " But he didn't, he went on this long diatribe about the value of opportunity periods. Ok coach, but did James get hit by a player with pads or not? "Well I think the NFL will find we were not in the wrong?" That didn't answer the question. He needed to be out in front of all of this. He wasn't, but Holmgren will teach him.

What else you got..BRING IT!!

What are we having some kind of lame, internet forum competetion? I don't cock-sword fights with other Browns fans. I happen to me a Mangini guy, just pointed out some mistakes. You take this all very personally and that is a little scary, to be honest. Mangini is not your famliy member, so calm down.

What are we having some kind of lame, internet forum competetion? I don't cock-sword fights with other Browns fans. I happen to me a Mangini guy, just pointed out some mistakes. You take this all very personally and that is a little scary, to be honest. Mangini is not your famliy member, so calm down.

OK, guys, don't get to the point where there needs to be a hug.

There's better arguments to get bitter over...

Archived