THE BROWNS BOARD

Brett Favre or Donovan McNabb

TheClevelandSound

This was brought up on Sirius NFL Radio Channel 124 this morning:

Brett Favre was signed in Minnesota as a 1 year deal and a quick superbowl potential. Favre will most likely not return to the Vikings if they do not make the superbowl because he has essentially stunted their long term growth of Sage Rosenfels and/or Tavaris Jackson. The philosophy is that with AP, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, and all of the weapons the Vikings have, they will need long term consistency at the QB position. Brett Favre does not offer this.

They are speculating if Favre leaves, you could possibly see him in Cleveland because of his ties with Eric Mangini and now the presence of Mike Holmgren. Favre has a history with both Holmgren and Mangini.

Donovan McNabb has one year left on his contract. Some see him as weak in the postseason and have seen his age also take a toll on his performance. Kevin Kolb has shown some excellent skills as a backup for the Eagles and they may trade McNabb while they can get something good for him (possibly Josh Cribbs).

Our GM will most likely be Tom Heckert, the current GM of the Eagles. Need I say more?

Both of these scenarios are extremely possible.

Thoughts?

They are speculating if Favre leaves, you could possibly see him in Cleveland because of his ties with Eric Mangini and now the presence of Mike Holmgren. Favre has a history with both Holmgren and Mangini.

If Favre were to come to Cleveland it would have (and perhaps should have) been at the start of last season. I can't see him making the move.

McNabb.....now there is a possibility for a trade because I could see Kolb taking the wheel in 2010/11.

I've always thought McNabb or some other experienced veteran QB could be a possibility for the Browns the next couple of seasons... kind of expected it this year, didn't happen. I though the Browns were Favre's fall back team if he didn't get the contract he wanted this year, don't see it happening next season unless Minnesota wants to change directions at QB.

why would mangini go down the favre road again? i'd rather contract aids than have favre as our qb.

LOL, I'm sure that would be Mangini's opinion, also. Bum shoulder Bret cost EM his job in NY, and sure as the sun comes up in the East, EM ain't walking down that road twice. Doubly, because of Bret's "I'll show up for training camp when I'm damn good and well ready to" attitude. Triply, because the primary reason Farve came back this year is he saw a legit shot to win another SB.

McNabb is a more interesting option, but I still would doubt that's gonna happen. EM is building with youth, and Donovan doesn't fit the profile. Plus, he'd cost a ton of money, uncapped year or no. If the FO is trying to lowball Cribbs, you think they'd be ready to spring for McNabbs huge salary?

It all depends on who Holmgren and Mangini and the new GM decide who the QB of this team should be. If it's Quinn or Anderson, I don't see a vet like that being brought in here. If the FO decides that we don't have a QB on this team at this point, I could see a veteran like McNabb or Favre or Bulger or Hasselback being brought in as a 1 or 2 year guy to hold the job until the QB that we draft this year (I don't mind McCoy if it's in the 2nd round or later, not in the first round though) is ready to play.

I just don't see them bringing a guy who's been a starter his whole career in here when we have two guys who want to be the starter. It all depends on Holmgrens opinion on Anderson and Quinn.

It makes logical sense since Favre has ties to both men but his deal is for two years in Minnesota. Even if he was available, I'm not certain that he'd want to come to a team that wasn't a contender at this point.

I have no fact basis for this opinion but I always felt like Mike Holmgren was sort of glad to be done with Brett when he went to Seattle. Life with Brett was a constant struggle to get him to stop freelancing and play smart. I don't know...perhaps that's simply my perception.

McNabb has more in the tank, I think and Heckert would know as well as anyone. Both Mangini and Holmgren are close to Andy Reid so I suspect that they'd have a decent idea of what Donovan's got. I don't believe that the fans in Philly have ever been really fair to McNabb. He's taken them deep into the playoffs several times and one Super Bowl. I think that he certainly isn't the QB that has you wondering if he can "play at this level" (see Anderson or Quinn).

I simply do not see FAvre moving out of Minnesota ! THey want him there, with FAvre the team is dangerous and the fans love that, the owner is not going to spoil their honeymoon !

McNabb is Eagles all throughout ! Kevin Kolb may be good, but is he that good ? There is no proof yet, and he may be Matt Casselesqe but would u want to replace Tom Brady (McNabb) with Mat Cassel (K Kolb) ?

Favre is signed through next year, so unless the Vikes cut him loose he isn't available.

Both of those guys are old, we're building a team, nearly from scratch. It's not like we're a QB away from the Super Bowl so I don't see either of these guys fitting here.

Archived