THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossi's Annual Ranking of Roster

professor_g

I think people are a little tough on MoMass. The Browns as a team dropped a ton of passes they shouldn't have. Part of that was crummy QBing and part of that was on the receivers losing focus. I think as a team, our receivers need to get better coming BACK to the ball and fighting for it in traffic. IMO, there's alot of good corners MoMass saw in the SEC that either play on Sundays or will play on Sundays so I think he can eventually post similar numbers which wouldn't suck for a #2.

- Tom F.

Actually the highlighted sentence is what people are tough on MoMass about, and justified, IMO.

# 1, #2, #3 or #4, it don't matter. Not adjusting for the ball and fighting for it at this level is bizaar.

Someone at work is very close to MoMass, and everything I've heard suggests that the guy has a strong character and work ethic. He loves football, is very quiet, and is a private person, who has no interest in celebrity status. He's just the kind of player Mangini goes for, so you can expect Mangini will place a high-priority on developing him the right way and bringing out the best in him.

Mack is way, way too far down the list.

A rookie steps in at CENTER and really solidifies the position?

At the lowest, he'd be #7.

The list is silly.

Like I said though Mass's targets aren't top 20 in the AFC, but his drops are top 16 in the NFL. That means he's not catching at a WR1 rate. I agree that he made some great catches. He also drops a lot of easy ones.

I could not disagree more. Rookie WRs drop more balls than vets do, its has always been that way and always will be. MoMass has bailed both QBs out a few times this year and that's no small feet for a rookie. So, he has bad QBs, no other offensive threat around him, he's the only rookie #1 in the league, and started requiring some safety consideration as the season progressed. All as a rookie. Take all of that into condsideration and look at the list below and the teams these rookies play on. What he did here on this team, in this situation is extremely encouraging.

1. Hakeem Nicks WR, Giants – 790

2. Percy Harvin WR, Vikings – 790

3. Jeremy Maclin WR, Eagles – 762

4. Mike Wallace WR, Steelers – 756

5. Kenny Britt WR, Titans – 701

6. Austin Collie WR, Colts – 676

7. Michael Crabtree WR, 49ers – 625

8. Mohamed Massoquoi WR, Browns – 616

9. Johnny Knox WR, Bears – 527

10. Louis Murphy WR, Raiders – 521

Here are some of the greatest of all time's stats.

Rice (with Montana) - 49 for 927 yards. Only about 10 more catches.

Cris Carter - 5 for 85 yards. It actually took him until his 4th year to catch for more yards than MoMass did this year. He also had Mike Quick on the other side and Randall Cunningham as his QB.

Steve Largent - 54 for 705 yards.

Webster Slaughter - 40 for 577 yards.

This is only a small sample but you get the point. Rookie WRs rarely make an impact. And when said rookie is asked to be the #1 WR on a bad team with bad QBs, MoMass's controbutions are very, very encouraging. He's gonna be really good in this league. The idea that rookie WRs can come in and light it up has always been inaccurate. The only position in the NFL where you can expect good things out of rookies are the OL and RBs. Outside of that, you are expecting to wait until the 2nd year at least.

Actually the highlighted sentence is what people are tough on MoMass about, and justified, IMO.

# 1, #2, #3 or #4, it don't matter. Not adjusting for the ball and fighting for it at this level is bizaar.

You're right, if we were talking about a 3rd year WR. As a rookie, there a million things to adjust to and adjusting to the spped of DBs is one of those things. Not coming back to the ball is easy to fix. Rookies just don't anticipate DBs being able to get to the spot as fast as they do, and they come off looking lazy. In reality, its all about adjusting to the pro game. Nothing in MoMass's game concernes me at all. He's gonna be really solid and he will be a number 1 WR. Now Braylon not fighting for the ball and running lazy routes in year 3? That will get you shipped out of town and unemployed.

lewis should be @ the bottomm. we improved remarkably without him.

I was one of the guys who wanted him off the team after week 6, but I guarantee Jamal would of been much better after week 12 because our line started gelling. His tip-toeing would of been reduced drastically. Watch Jamal go to the Pats and rush for 1,000 yards.

What he did here on this team, in this situation is extremely encouraging.

1. Hakeem Nicks WR, Giants – 790

2. Percy Harvin WR, Vikings – 790

3. Jeremy Maclin WR, Eagles – 762

4. Mike Wallace WR, Steelers – 756

5. Kenny Britt WR, Titans – 701

6. Austin Collie WR, Colts – 676

7. Michael Crabtree WR, 49ers – 625

8. Mohamed Massoquoi WR, Browns – 616

9. Johnny Knox WR, Bears – 527

10. Louis Murphy WR, Raiders – 521

Thanks. I also think that MoMass's production has to be looked at relative to the passing offense that he participated in.

Nicks, Harvin, Maclin, Wallace and Collie were dropped into passing offenses with QBs that have been to multiple pro bowls and won superbowls.

I think most of us would agree Lee Evans is a pretty good receiver. In Buffalo's stagnant offense he had fewer receiving yards than MoMass.

That almost all the first and second round picks were productive (minus Heyward-Bey), doesn't reflect real well on Robiskie, but I'm not without hope.

Brian Hartline was very productive in the Dolphin's mediocre passing offense and you'd have a hard time convincing me that he was or is as good a receiver as Robiskie. His 40 time was ever-so-slightly better than Robiskie's, but Robiskie had some of the best 20 yard shuttle and 3-cone drill times of any receiver in the draft. Hartine and Wallace did very well in these too. A lot of scouts think these are more indicative of receiving success than straight line speed. He also had a sick 38" vertical.

Archived